Low memory

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, I'm getting my text rejected due to low memory for messaging. First time I've ran into this problem the whole time I've had my Droid so I'm not real sure how to go about this. What do I do to make it stop?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
How many messages do you have if you do mind me asking? Do you have lots of apps as well?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
My sister had the same problem. Easy fix: menu>applications>manage applications>all (tab on top row). Scroll down to messaging. Tap on it then tap on clear cache then clear data. Be sure to save any pictures or videos to your SD card or computer before clearing cache and data. If you use an additional program for texting like handcent be sure to follow the same procedure. Good luck and come back and let us know if it doesn't work.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much 1 thread worth of about 200. And yeah, that's how it stopped. I stopped moving my apps 2 sd a long time ago but I just moved them all and uninstalled a few I don't really need and they started coming through. Wish it had more space.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? ive got about 700 in mine and several of those are pics. Clearing cache would definetly solve problem, but i am not experiencing it on my droid. If hes got 200, then would that really mean memory allocated to app? In this case maybe its also due to lots of apps and limited space on device....

OP
Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Possibly, but I'm thinking the apps is what it was. As soon as I moved a few to the SD the message went away and my text are working fine now.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Fair enough. I'm not at the knowledge level to say you're right and I'm wrong definitively or vice versa. Plus I've had a few drinks (woo hoo superbowl! LOL) I will recend my previous statement about dedicated memory space. That said, clearing cache/data will set him in the right direction as we've said. Lets let the OP try it and go from there.

OP
Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to do that too. I wiped data and cache completely last night from recovery but who knows.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm just saying it went away after freeing up some space but clearing out my messages will probably do some good.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm not at the knowledge level to say you're right and I'm wrong definitively or vice versa. Plus I've had a few drinks (woo hoo superbowl! LOL) I will recend my previous statement about dedicated memory space. That said, clearing cache/data will set him in the right direction as we've said. Lets let the OP try it and go from there.

Haha, party on dude. Tonights the night to be drunk...i know my whole house is with the exception of me.

ckburks

Reaction score
OK need someone to help me here.... Finally was able to root ota gb and now I have less memory than before after freezing stuff! I cannot get supercharger to work anymore... Get droid bootloops on all versions... So I'm trying minfree with aggressive setting... Think free space is set to 96... I'm staying around 60 though.... Ugg non root was 90..,

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

ckburks

Reaction score
And forgot to ask if anyone has found a way to do a nandroid backup yet...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Higher Amounts Of "Free" Memory Is A Bad Idea. That Means The System Is Constantly Killing Off Apps Just To Reopen Them. You'll See Lag When Opening Apps And To Me Transpires Bad Battery Life. With One Exception If You're Not Using Your Device You Want Everything To Be At An Idle State.(Like When Sleeping) Gingerbread's Factory Minfrees Are More Aggressive Than Froyo's And It Handles Memory ALOT Better. I Normally Have About 25-40 Apps Running At Once And It Flies When Switching Between Apps. I Also Am Running A Script That's Been Modified To My Liking. In That Manager Try These Values First And If You See That It Still Is Slow Decrease The 3rd Slot That Is Your Minfree Task Manager. 6,12,75,125,150,175. So How This Works Is Every Time My Memory Drops Below 75 The System Starts To Kill Off Apps.

Doing A Nandroid Is Just The Same As It Was On Froyo. Bootstrap Clockworkmod Didn't Change At All.