Low internal memory

Andielyn

Reaction score
For the last week our so I've been getting notifications of low volume space (internal memory). Of the 8 GB internal storage I have about 1 GB free. I can't figure out why. I have moved any apps that were stored on internal memory and they're were very few plus literally only 4 photo files. My understanding is that there was 16 GB internal memory, 8 of which is dedicated to the OS, etc. I store exerting to the external storage and it still looks like I have plenty of sop storage left under system settings.

I use cache clear and use it regularly.

Any ideas, help much appreciated. I have updated it ICS, and stock. Anyone else experiencing this?

Andielyn

Sent from my DROID RAZR

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Andielyn, I had over 100 apps on my Maxx, never moved any to my external SD card, and still had over 3gb of space left on my internal sdcard. Check to see if your videos, pics, music, movies, etc are being saved to your internal sdcard. They take up a lot of space and many apps by default save to the internal storage.

If that doesn't seem to be the case, let us know so we can continue to trouble shoot.

OP
Andielyn

Andielyn

Reaction score
Tanks for your help. No, no media at all is being saved to the internal memory. I'm befuddled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Plug your phone into computer and do USB mass storage mode and clean up the internal memory. I don't know what apps you have but some of them may have downloaded extra data (like games for example) that does get stored internally.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah, I agree with tjk... examine the contents of the folders on your internal sdcard from your PC to see what might be stored there. Delete things that you know you don't need. Anything you're not sure of copy it to a folder on your PC, just in case you need to put it back on your phone.

OP
Andielyn

Andielyn

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I will do that. That makes sense because the numbers don't add up so it must be junk files being stored there. Well let you know if that helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

showe336

Reaction score
Stopping this warning

I'm having the same problem except that I know why the warning is occurring. I intentionally uploaded a bunch of media to my phone, and I want it all to stay on my phone. How do I stop my phone from giving me this warning? And no, I don't plan on deleting anything from my phone. From what I can tell, it doesn't matter how close I am to running out of internal storage. It doesn't slow down the phone, and it doesn't prevent me from using anything. I just want to know how to make this warning go away. I mean, god forbid I use my phone to its full potential without getting screamed at by some stupid warning.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem with my RazrM! But I figured out what the issue was with mine!

I have less than 100 apps, my videos and pictures are being stored on my external sd card, and all my downloads, backgrounds, and audio is stored on the the external sd card.

So now to the problem. I've been getting low memory errors lately and couldn't quite figure out why... Did a bit of digging and there wasn't any media causing the issue.

The issue was coming from my Google Music application. I saw the app had over 3gb in cache. I couldn't quite figure out why until I realized that when you select a song/album or w.e to be available offline it caches the song in the on board memory. I deleted all the songs, cleared the cache and the app data and all is good again! I now have over 4gb of free space again.

Sorry for how winded this was, but if you've selected to access your Google Music offline, this may be the cause. You'd be better of putting the music directly from your computer to your external sd card.

Sent from my Motorola RazrM using Droid Forums

rmendoza577

Reaction score
Had the same problem with the low memory. I copied everything I needed to ext-memory. Then formatted internal storage. Haven't had a problem since.

trinibob

Reaction score
Had the same problem with the low memory. I copied everything I needed to ext-memory. Then formatted internal storage. Haven't had a problem since.

im real green to all this internal memory how do you know what is needed ???

rmendoza577

Reaction score
I backed up my app data, with ultimate back up(or titanium) moved it to sd-ext, formatted internal storage, moved backup back to internal storage, then restored. If you have a lot of apps that you don't use anymore, you could just start over.

gabrielcorvis

Reaction score
All I know is I have like 1/10th of the apps that I had before, and I still get these ridiculous messages. Now, since the os update a couple weeks or so ago, I now get that message when I'm at 70% capacity instead of 80 or 90 the way it was before. It's really bugging the crap out of me, because I honestly can't figure out what the hell is using so much space. I've deleted text threads, cleared caches and browsers, I even went so far as to clear the data off my internet browser and lost all my favorites in the process. Now I have the damn thing just below the mark where the phone starts crying about low internal storage, but I can't install or even update any apps. It wouldn't be an issue if it didn't keep me from receiving emails, messenger messages, and even texts...someone please help me with this because I really just want to chuck the thing through a wall at this point

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Gabriel, if you have already tried the suggestions on this thread, you may need to do Factory Data Reset (fdr). Make sure you back up what you want saved before you do. I have all my apps on internal storage and no problems. Pics, vids, backup files, etc will take up lots and lots of space. Make sure those are on your external card.

As a guide for ideas when backing up and restoring before doing an fdr see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums