Low batt. life - BB v1.0 1ghz Kernel

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by elninost0rm, May 7, 2010.

1. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    It is compatible, just may not run my added pete file

2. Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin Member

Ratings:
    +0

3. peteralfonso

Ratings:
    +0

4. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You might be on to something. I was using Bekit's when I tried Pete's, but I also tried Chevy and that didn't help at all. I never tried P3, though.

I *am* using P3 with UD and it's working great, but who knows how much the kernel has to do with that.

5. Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin Member

Ratings:
    +0

6. mrgarrison

mrgarrison Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive had battery problems with BBv1.0 as well. i love the rom but it made me switch from it. i tried every kernel pete had for it and tried every method thats been posted on here to try to get battery life up but nothin. it even takes longer to charge when im on BB. i have the UD New Era on right now and battery life is much better. same with the team chaos rom. idk what the problem is but it sucksss.

7. peteralfonso

Ratings:
    +0
    I advise you to be careful with "UD New Era's" new feature called automatic godmode. I am assuming he has made my godmode script enable itself automatically, this may sound like a good idea (because you can edit files on the fly using astro, etc.) but essentially it is causing a huge security flaw because it is changing the permissions to many many system files leaving them open to anyone and everyone to tamper with. That being said just please be careful, hopefully someone will advise him to remove that "feature" before it causes someone serious problems.

EDIT: This post is not to be taken in a negative way, let's be mature kids...

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  8. dwagner88

dwagner88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I switched to the 800mhz kernel yesterday, and actually I have less lag and better battery life than I did on the 1ghz. My benchmarks are lower, but I don't really care as long as the lag is gone.

9. peteralfonso

Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to stick with lower clock speeds as well, just enough to keep scrolling smooth and im satisfied :)

10. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is also pretty bad, running the bekit 1.1ghz kernel, set cpu uninstalled, smoked glass theme with BB V1.0:

2h 57min unplugged

voice calls - 27% (probably 15 or so minutes total talk time)
    display - 27%
    mediaserver - 14%
    android system - 9%
    phone idle - 6%
    standby - 5%
    then 3 things under 4%

I am at 60% battery. Doesn't that seem low for only 3 hours of moderate use?

11. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    I just wanted to give a heads up. Petes file that some have removed does more then conrtol just the cpu and kill setcpu. There are a few guys who have edited petes file and deleted everything in it that has to do with the cpu and they are having good results doing that and using setcpu as normal. A guy by the name of fablous was kind enough to actually edit the file and post the edited file over at androidforums under his nextbeast v1 thread so that you can just delete the pete file and load his in and it will allow you to use setcpu without causeing any conflicts.
    Now some guys are able to run setcpu without conficts and report good battery life and others do not get good battery life so it may be a suggestion to either edit the file or load the edited one in.
    This is only a suggestion and people have reported it helped with batterylife. I have not done this just providing information I have seen with what some peopl ehave done to obtain better batterylife/
    here is the link to the edited file.
    pete

more info on the edited file or how to edit the file yourself and what it should look like:
    Originally Posted by Titaniac [​IMG]
    ** FIRST OFF: DO NOT JUST GO DO THIS. I AM ONLY SOLICITING OPINIONS FROM THOSE WHO ARE MORE EXPERIENCED WITH ANDROID. I AM PRETTY NEW TO SCRIPTING AND STUFF LIKE THAT **

Girl: Thanks for all the help you give us here. I read the posts by you and Nismo explaining to delete the script "Pete". Do you think we could just edit the script so that we could keep the "free memory" features of the script? Specifically, we could delete all of the "echo" statements (EXCEPT THE LAST ONE) because these set the parameters for the CPU speed, governor, etc. The last echo statement deals with the freememory portion. We would also need to delete the last busybox statement that kills SetCPU.

This is just a suggestion so that we could keep the applicable portions of the script while allowing SetCPU to set our parameters and perhaps save battery. On the other hand, once PETE is ran, these parameters are saved; should we then go to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq and delete those values. I'm just not sure how SetCPU would set and maintain its parameters.

Soliciting opinions from those of you who are more experienced in this...

Okay, here's what I did, and it worked. First, because I had deleted the "pete" file, I unzipped the ROM and pulled the "pete" file from /system/xbin, then pushed it to /system/xbin on my Droid and changed the permissions so that they were the same as all the other files in xbin (all boxes checked in Root Explorer).

Then I used Root Explorer to long-press on the file and open in text editor, and edited all of the CPU commands out (and added "Bugless Beast by Pete" at the end so I would know the script ran), so it looks like this:

#!/system/bin/sh

echo "2560,3840,6400,17920,19200,20480" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
    sleep 42s
    busybox killall -q com.cooliris.media
    busybox killall -q com.android.mms
    busybox killall -q com.android.email
    busybox killall -q com.motorola.calendar
    busybox killall -q android.process.media
    busybox killall -q com.android.deskclock
    busybox killall -q com.android.bluetooth
    busybox killall -q com.google.android.apps.uploader
    busybox killall -q com.android.voicedialer
    busybox killall -q com.google.android.voicesearch
    busybox killall -q com.android.settings
    busybox killall -q com.android.calendar
    busybox killall -q com.google.android.apps.maps:FriendService
    busybox killall -q com.google.android.gm
    busybox killall -q com.amazon.mp3
    busybox killall -q com.android.im
    busybox killall -q android.process.im
    busybox killall -q com.android.music
    echo 'Bugless Beast by Pete'

I saved my edits and rebooted, then opened Terminal Emulator, typed su, then pete. The pete file has a built-in 42-second delay, so it takes that long before you'll see the "Bugless Beast by Pete" and another # sign will appear

[Themed ROM] NexBeast V1.0 - Blazing Fast! - Page 5 - Android Forums
    link to thread for more info

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  12. actngrezy

actngrezy Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    by the way I have setcpu installed but I am not using any profiles.Phone ran hot and died faster with stock kernel that came with rom then it does with 800mhz kernel. I Just used setcpu to set the 800mhz kernel to 700mhz and thats it. Phone runs great and right now have been off the charger for 13 hrs and used the phone for 7 calls only lasting about an average of 1 to 3 mins each. about 20 text messages and browsing for about 20 mins total time and I still have 60 percent left.
    Im guessing it depends on the phone because some people seem to do great with petes file controling everything others need different kernels and others have their profiles set.while others can't seem to get good battery life. This is just an observation though

13. hookerdj

hookerdj Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my battery lasts much longer using this than using cyanogen i dunno why yet o well just goes to show you how different each droid really is

14. ElectricPhase

ElectricPhase New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This minor alteration made all the difference in the world for me. Reduced heat, better battery life, and better performance with BB1.0, Bekit 1GHz, and SetCPU w/ profiles. ymmv

15. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    this will work in that the ROM won't set the initial speeds and sampling rate, threshold at boot etc. However, as pete mentioned, the script only runs at boot right? So if you commented out the setCPU line and had setCPU running it wouldn't make a difference whether you got rid of the other lines. The only way it would make a difference is if the script is set to run at certain intervals...not sure if it is, but nothing in the script indicates that it is. If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I think that's how it works.

Search tags for this page

how does the dialer on a casio commando kill the battery

pete's 600 mhz kernel