Low batt. life - BB v1.0 1ghz Kernel

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by elninost0rm, May 7, 2010.

1. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

Alright I've removed the 'pete' script via TermEmul and rebooted. Seems to be working fine. I guess I'll have to see if the battery life improves now.
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Well you'll have to use setCPU now I'm sure if you want to see improvements in batt life. Just letting you know. The point of removing 'pete' is so you can use setCPU to manage profiles. I don't think it'll make a difference if you just delete the file and dont use setCPU. If you don't notice any improvement just redownload the ROM and apply it again and the pete file will be back, if you need to experiment somewhere else.
  3. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the input! enjoy your Friday.
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

btw, if you want the pete file back you can probably also use these commands:

su
    sysrw
    busybox cp /sdcard/pete system/xbin
    sysro

provided you have the pete file from the ROM package in the root of your SD card. prolly easier than reinstalling the whole ROM. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me haha
  5. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

25 minutes unplugged. Only use consisted of turning on the screen to check battery level/usage every 3-4 minutes.

Display 31%
    Android system 20%
    SetCPU 14%
    Phone Idle 14%
    Standby 12%
    Like 3 things at < 4%

Says 90%, but who knows how long it takes to get from 100-90, probably not very long. I will test from 90 to 80.

Running very cool, 25*C. It was at 90% after ~15 minutes of being unplugged, but that might not be accurate. I'll probably the time when it hits 80% and subtract 15 minutes from it, giving me an accurate number after multiplying to determine the approximate life.

Not looking good so far, though.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Okay, this is very discouraging.

1 hour, 3 minutes unplugged, I'm at 80% on the battery monitor.

My ONLY usage was turning on the phone to check the battery level and what was using it -_-

That's far, far less than I normally do.

Simple multiplication means that I'd have a 5-6 hour battery life under THOSE conditions (mostly idle, checking every now and again). That is not acceptable.

Usage levels:

Display: 29%
    Android system: 19%
    SetCPU: 14% (wtf)
    Phone idle: 14% (wtf)
    Standby: 12% (wtf)
    3-4 things at 3% or less

Gonna try a Chevy kernel I think per someone's recommendation earlier in the thread.
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yeah that's ridiculous. There's definitely something weird going on there...yeah try another kernel and see if that helps?
  8. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

5 minutes unplugged on the Chevy LV 1.0 ghz kernel and the monitor is at 90%. I literally did not turn the screen on at all until I checked this first time.

I will see when it hits 80%. Phone standby/idle are still at ~15% a piece, which seems much higher than I'm used to seeing. I remember Display dominating all other components. Can someone share their standby/idle numbers?

Something is fishy, here.
  9. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

did you do a complete wipe before you installed the ROM? There is definitely something wrong there, or something running in the background that's killing your battery. 5 minutes 10% obviously should not be happening no matter what you're doing with your phone haha.
  10. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Complete wipe, cache and data. 3 times each.

To its defense, 100-90 has always been fast, but 90-80 is the true test. I managed about 55-60 minutes from 90-80 on the Bekit's 1 ghz kernel, so we'll see what numbers the Chevy one produces.
  11. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

hmmm...my 100-90 takes about 2 hours or more...but yeah try it out.
  12. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

11 minutes unplugged.

28 display, 21 setcpu, 19 phone idle, 16 cell standby, 9 android system, 3-4 at less than 3% each.

Those numbers seem way high. I swear I remember display being 75% or more of my battery in the past.

I should do a full wipe and not backup my apps, and see if it drastically improves. Running services include the bluetooth toggle, Hi Aim, among other things, but none of those even APPEAR in the battery usage page (indicating to me that they are a non-factor). Unless one (or more) of them is being lumped into the idle/standby category stealthily.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  13. dwagner88

dwagner88 New Member

This is strange. Mine has been off the charger since 11:00 this morning and I'm still at 90%. I'm using the 1ghz bekit kernel with pete's script. The phone sometimes gets a little warm, but not anything significantly worse than what I've seen using setcpu in the past to 800mhz.
  14. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Aye, something is destroying my BL and I have idea what it is...
  15. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Gonna reflash tonight with RSD and then do a completely fresh install of BB 1.0 and see what happens. I've done other permanent modications (such as the baseband) and who knows what effect that has had. More info soon.
  16. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Just a thought or an experiment I guess . I have been reading numerous threads from different Roms .. benefit of working working night shift . I have seen posts about poor battery life .. heating issues etc. Everyone keeps changing kernels or Roms , but a few people have found that it seems to be an issue with the latest update of SetCPU. They have reverted back to 1..5.1a and heat and battery issues have went away . I am about to try it myself because I definately am running higher temps and less battery on BB as well running Bekits 800 kernel.

It makes sense since SetCPU is the most common denominator when everyone is running different roms, kernels, apps etc... but everyone is running SetCPU.
  17. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

It appears that by removing the 'pete' file I killed my ability to send out text messages?!?! I am able to send but not receive, had to call Verizon for them to reset something on their side. It's corrected now but my question is what caused this?
  18. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Switched back to UD this morning. 8 hrs 30 minutes of moderate use and I'm at 60% battery. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Great rom, but the batt. Life I had was a huge turn off.
  19. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

LOL Removing the pete file has nothing to do with those problems, not sure why you removed it, that file can be used as a tool, if anything just delete the contents inside of it or edit them.

As for battery life if you run the ROM as is without setcpu, taskmanagers, etc battery life will be better than you have ever seen.
  20. elninost0rm

elninost0rm New Member

Ran the ROM without any of that. I ran multiple trials over the past 2-3 days and I could not get any sort of decent life out of 1.0. Maybe it doesn't like my phone, but don't assume that I haven't tried the obvious (using no managers/setCPU/etc).

This isn't a plug for UD at all, but I switched to it today using the same method of loading BB, and I was able to get 9 hours to 50% using the phone moderately (4-5 texts an hour, random webpage loads, Pocket Empires, etc.) I was lucky to get 7 hours of PURE standby on BB 1.0 (and that was 100-0%)

Once again, might not be a problem with the ROM, but I gave up.
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
Search tags for this page

how does the dialer on a casio commando kill the battery

pete's 600 mhz kernel