Low batt. life - BB v1.0 1ghz Kernel

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by elninost0rm, May 7, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Using the kernel included with the ROM (Bekit or what not).

Did a full wipe of cache/memory/etc. before installing.

Backed up all my apps/widgets/etc.

A little bit about my configuration:

1. No animations. Lowest brightness setting. 30 second phone timeout (I often turn it off myself with the power button).

2. No live wallpaper

3. 2 widgets. Weather channel and SetCPU.

4. Absolutely nothing running in the background (besides HiAim, and the way Linux handles background programs which is exceptional).

This is a run-down of my battery after 30 minutes unplugged:

1. Display: 48% (No surprise)

2. Phone Idle: 18% (This is a surprise..."Time on" reports the full 30 minutes, or maybe 28-29, which is only a few less than the phone has been unplugged)

3. Cell Standby: 16% (Also surprising, although it hasn't listed a "time without signal" number yet, but it is also the same time as the unplugged time, or close. I am in an area with 4 bars, 3 at the least).

4. Android system: 8%

5. Android OS: 4%

6. Maps: 2%

7. Dialer: 2%

8: Weather channel: 2%

Conclusion: HiAim isn't even listed (or is below 2%). I don't remember #2 and #3 being anywhere near that high before installing this ROM. I noticed something was wrong when I went from 20% to 0% in about an hour and a half. I sent ONE text during this time and nothing else. That was a red flag, to me. I can barely make it through 8 hours of work using the phone conservatively.

Any ideas? Ways to check if the idle/standby is soaking up the battery and what to do about it? Thanks.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to assume you are using the stock OC 600Mhz kernel and SetCPU. First things first. Unistall SetCPU and reboot in recovery and perform a backup. The download the 800 Mhz Bekit kernel that Pete suggests, wipe cache a couple of times and install that kernel. Reboot the phone and see how things go for a few days. There have been a few people with weird happenings using the 600 Mhz and also some strange happenings with SetCPU. Personally. Just follow Pete's suggestions and remove any task killer and SetCPU and let his ROM+Kernel do its' thing.

I have been running it now on day 3. So far w/ the 800 Mhz kernel I have seen better performance and much better battery life than with BB v.7 and Adamz 1Ghz LV kernel. YMMV but give it a shot and see how it works for ya.
  3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try a MV kernel. Some people have reported getting higher temperatures and less battery life with LV kernels.
  4. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm actually using the 1.0 ghz Bekit kernel available through ROM Manager. Should I not be using RM? I'll try the 800 mhz kernel when I do a re-install this time around.
  5. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    its so hard to really tell cuz every phone is so different. i tried getting rid of setcpu and just using the 1GHz kernel and the phone was ridiculously fast, ridiculously cool temps, and ridiculously low battery life. At one point I had to charge twice in the same day. Then I got rid of the pete script, and put setCPU back on, and now I'm back to my normal 26-28 hrs of life without having to sacrifice the speed or the cool temps. But some people are having success with the pete script managing everything. It really just depends on your phone...
  6. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get rid of this script? I am running into the same issue w/ 1.0 and the bekit 1ghz kernel. My battery life is much worse than before the 2.0.1 update. I can't get through a day w/o charging it.
  7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12

using root explorer navigate to /system/xbin, scroll down to the pete script, long press and delete. it's not a ROM required script, it's merely setting a min/max and governor.Same thing setcpu would do if you had that activated.
  8. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the name of the script in /xbin? :)
  9. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The system won't allow me to delete that 'pete' file. I receive 'error deleting file'. I also still have setcpu installed. Did I miss something? Are we not supposed to use that w/this? If not how do we control cpu speeds?
  10. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0

I use Root Explorer and mount r/w, which enables me to delete the script.
  11. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    are you sure its mounted? in root explorer there should be a white button that says "Mount R/W'...click that before you try to delete.
  12. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have root explorer installed. I am using Astro and am able to navigate to the folder/file, just not able to delete it?

** I enabled 'godmode' via TermEmul and still no luck. Any ideas? I'd rather not pay for an app to delete one file.
  13. elninost0rm

elninost0rm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nevermind, figured it out.
  14. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't do it with Astro. You will need to download root explorer.
  15. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    how bout with terminal? I know there's a way to mount with terminal and then maybe do a rm command? Not sure though...
Search tags for this page

how does the dialer on a casio commando kill the battery

pete's 600 mhz kernel