Loving the Unlock!!! We need an Unlocked thread!!!

KaChow

Reaction score
Just did the Unlock, it was simple, in fact Easier than Easy Root Komplete. Just ran the "run.bat" file and it took care of everything. Wish I had good camera would show you the "Device is Unlocked". Status Code: 3.

View attachment 61891

Here are some of the details from the Dan Rosenberg on the "Unlocked Bootloader" process. Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

I bet Verizon is gonna push out the OTA of 4.2 shortly...

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I added a new thread called, Easy Unlock Bootloader Komplete, for those that are interested and of course we can discuss more. There are a great many advantages to having an Unlocked Bootloader, most all of us are familiar or have great insight as to what Root is and what does, by adding Superuser that gives us control to our devices. An unlocked Bootloader, opens Pandora's Box, as it gives more options to us as to what can be done and acheived with our devices. One of my favorite features of having an unlocked bootloader is the ability to flash custom Kernels, which most people are familiar with the term "Overclocking", this is a feature as it gives you the ability to adjust your CPU and raise it higher than the stock settings. For instance the stock cores run at 1512 MHZ, with a custom kernel you can run it to the breaking point, or just slightly below it (recommended). Most users that lke to run Quadrant benchmarks and score massively high scores will do this through overclocking.

One of the other features, that I really like about having an unlocked bootloader is that I could Flash stock and custom Roms without the need of an app like Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. I certainly haven't messed around with it yet, but with other unlocked bootloader devices that I have had in the past, I've been able to Flash a Rom, then a Kernel, maybe Gapps, or a theme and then just setup from there. But getting back to it, now that there is an Unlocked Bootloader it usually increases the Development interest on the device. Nothing happens overnight, but I can certainly imagine that we will start to see more of an interest in our devices. Which also once a Kernel appears that permits overclocking, we are trully going to be able to compare how our devices will compare at the top performance levels without restrictions with the other devices.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yeah, this is all pretty exciting, it has been a long time coming and nothing short of a major break through thanks to Dan Rosenburg. But, I have a few concerns/questions. What about future updates? Will an unlocked bootloader prevent you from successfully installing the latest update? We have a pretty good suspicion that Moto will come out with one pretty soon because of this exploit. If you're not able to "stay on the path" then are you stuck on 4.1.2 because of a unlocked bootloader? And, if you unlock it, can you lock it back-up. I'm not anticipating Key Lime Pie any time soon, but it sounds to be that if you have an unlocked bootloader and you can't lock it back-up then you won't be getting Key Lime Pie. I suspect Moto will change the bootloader not only with the next update but also with Key Lime Pie. So, I for one receive this advancement with more questions than excitement. It's obvious I know little to nothing about the advantages or disadvantages of an unlocked bootloader. I unlocked the bootloader on my Nexus 7, but there are plenty of places to get the factory image if I want to but it back to stock. Will we be able to do that with our Maxx HD's if we want or need to?

motty69

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the unlocked boot loader will get current devs excited about the device and draw in some new ones as well. If we get good dev support we may never need to receive an OTA update again.

Sent from my Razr HD Maxx

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Here I thought I would post these in reference to my earlier thread.

I am using 2 apps, 1) SetCPU or can use [ROM Toolbox Lite has a free CPU controller]and 2) Quadrant

These snapshots are stock...

View attachment 61905 View attachment 61906

These are the Max that can be done on the stock kernel... Look at the increase in performance over the stock...

View attachment 61908 View attachment 61909

Keep in mind this is not Overclocked, but the standard stock benchmark is at 3179 which I opened up to 5597. BIG DIFFERENCE!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Here I thought I would post these in reference to my earlier thread.

I am using 2 apps, 1) SetCPU or can use [ROM Toolbox Lite has a free CPU controller]and 2) Quadrant

These snapshots are stock...

View attachment 61905 View attachment 61906

These are the Max that can be done on the stock kernel... Look at the increase in performance over the stock...

View attachment 61908 View attachment 61909

Keep in mind this is not Overclocked, but the standard stock benchmark is at 3179 which I opened up to 5597. BIG DIFFERENCE!
Kachow, I'm confused (nothing out of the ordinary, LOL). If the difference is not as a result of overclocking then what did you do gain the increase in processor speed. Also, does this have a negitive (will use more) battery and also generate a possible overheating of the CPU if the task requires prolonged CPU use?

djspy

Reaction score
Basically, with an unlocked boot loader we can have ourselves a bone stock Motorola Nexus device.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Kachow, I'm confused (nothing out of the ordinary, LOL). If the difference is not as a result of overclocking then what did you do gain the increase in processor speed. Also, does this have a negitive (will use more) battery and also generate a possible overheating of the CPU if the task requires prolonged CPU use?

Once we have a custom kernel we will be better able to gauge what the max limit is that we can push our devices, before we get force closes and it locks up. Right now however, running the device with the dual cores @ 1512mhz, you are correct there is an increase in performance, is that going to create excessive heat and battery loss, not as much as you would think (afterall this is still stock.) As we are still performing at a stock level. There certainly are a number of other benefits that will come along with this Bootloader unlock, which I am starting to keep an eye out for bootanimations, and I'm sure we are going to see some top-notch Roms that will start to roll-out. That is now we have Unlock and Root available 4.0.4 to 4.1.2, things are gonna start to get interesting... Oh, some custom kernels are also used for Underclocking and running at lower speeds, which with a battery like the one that we have on the HD devices, some may extend a single charge well beyond the 3+ days mark...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge. I was already rooted on 4.1.2, now I am unlocked (that was as easy as falling off a log) and have TWRP as my custom recovery. The first thing I did, and anyone who unlocks and/or roots should also, is make a backup as soon as you are unlocked and have a custom recovery.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge. I was already rooted on 4.1.2, now I am unlocked (that was as easy as falling toff a log) and have TWRP as my custom recovery. The first thing I did, and anyone who unlocks and/or roots should also, is make a backup as soon as you are unlocked and have a custom recovery.

It is extremely simple, which the 4.1.2 Root method that djrbliss put together, is as simplistic to the way Recovery is installed. Which speaking of Recovery, if you use the TWRP which I should note it is the latest edition that was released a few days ago. I should note as I need to add this to the thread, but go into SuperUser and Update the Binaries> then go into SuperSu, click continue- this time elect the TWRP/CWM option not the Normal> SuperSU will through your device into Recovery and perform an install. Definitely, make this change if you have not done so already. If SuperSU doesn't do this the first attempt, retry it, eventually it should go through.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
It is extremely simple, which the 4.1.2 Root method that djrbliss put together, is as simplistic to the way Recovery is installed. Which speaking of Recovery, if you use the TWRP which I should note it is the latest edition that was released a few days ago. I should note as I need to add this to the thread, but go into SuperUser and Update the Binaries> then go into SuperSu, click continue- this time elect the TWRP/CWM option not the Normal> SuperSU will through your device into Recovery and perform an install. Definitely, make this change if you have not done so already. If SuperSU doesn't do this the first attempt, retry it, eventually it should go through.
I've updated the Superuser binaries. I don't have SuperSU, I have Superuser...the one the DroidUtility installs.