lovin the maxx!

gmtekk

Reaction score
Finally got rid of the little iPhone and got a Maxx! Damn did I miss DROID!

marcelo

Reaction score
Congrats, have had mine for 3 weeks now. It's an awesome phone. Just wish Verizon would hurry up and get 4G in my area. Got a taste of 4G in Norfolk VA last week on business and got spoiled! :icon_ devil:

OP
G

gmtekk

Reaction score
I hear ya! No 4g at my house either. But we should be getting it soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

altjx

Reaction score
I just got my MAXX yesterday as well, lol. I can't believe (although I have otter box), that I dropped it for the first time today. just slipped somehow. I'm so disappointed and there's nothing wrong with it. Its just the fact that I did it.

102010184gw

Reaction score
thats why i got the warranty, in my line of work i busted up a few phones in the past.

altjx

Reaction score
102010184gw said:
thats why i got the warranty, in my line of work i busted up a few phones in the past.

Yeah same here. the $10 store warranty

2001400ex

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the MAXX from the Droid X. What a difference. I can't wait for the ICS upgrade that dues soon.

I just did the same for my wife. The maxx rocks! Her first charge, it went for 1 day and 20 hours before it shut off. And she was on it 5 hours with display and 2 hours talk time. It was on 4g the entire time, no WiFi. Mt thunderbolt with the extended battery is half that, and twice the size!!!

The only negative, and the reason I won't buy a maxx hd if it had the same, is the pentile screen. I have 20/15 vision and can see the black dots while in normal reading distance. My wife has 20/25 so she doesn't notice at all in any way.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
2001400ex said:
I just did the same for my wife. The maxx rocks! Her first charge, it went for 1 day and 20 hours before it shut off. And she was on it 5 hours with display and 2 hours talk time. It was on 4g the entire time, no WiFi. Mt thunderbolt with the extended battery is half that, and twice the size!!!

The only negative, and the reason I won't buy a maxx hd if it had the same, is the pentile screen. I have 20/15 vision and can see the black dots while in normal reading distance. My wife has 20/25 so she doesn't notice at all in any way.

Small word of advice, try not to kill the battery on a maxx. It'll take it a few times(not a guarantee) but it could eventually die and not come back on, as it could drop below the set minimum charge threshold.

You will also see better battery life if you don't do deep cycle charges 100%-15%-100%, but rather do periodic charges throughout the day.

Just something to consider. Also power off the device, charge to 100%, use down to 15%, and repeat, this calibrates the battery meter. Repeat every 2-3 months for a razr, 3-4 months for a maxx.

This will increase your batterys life. Hope this helps?

Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

2001400ex

Reaction score
Small word of advice, try not to kill the battery on a maxx. It'll take it a few times(not a guarantee) but it could eventually die and not come back on, as it could drop below the set minimum charge threshold.

You will also see better battery life if you don't do deep cycle charges 100%-15%-100%, but rather do periodic charges throughout the day.

Just something to consider. Also power off the device, charge to 100%, use down to 15%, and repeat, this calibrates the battery meter. Repeat every 2-3 months for a razr, 3-4 months for a maxx.

This will increase your batterys life. Hope this helps?

Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Oh seriously? I thought SOP was to do a full drain the first charge to calibrate the battery? That's how I always have done mt lithium batteries. Didn't know the maxx was different... I tried to search for the best way to condition it and didn't find much.

Thx for the info.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
There's a ton of info/writeups on this site concerning proper battery charging. If you search for Foxcats writeup, it is quite lengthy.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
xxwabbit said:
There's a ton of info/writeups on this site concerning proper battery charging. If you search for Foxcats writeup, it is quite lengthy.

Yep, where do ya think I got my info from? Lol. FoxKat is wise...

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
2001400ex said:
Oh seriously? I thought SOP was to do a full drain the first charge to calibrate the battery? That's how I always have done mt lithium batteries. Didn't know the maxx was different... I tried to search for the best way to condition it and didn't find much.

Thx for the info.

That's with li-ion, these are Li-po. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Thx for the info.

Standard Operating Procedure for one battery type or chemistry isn't so for another. And you're not calibrating or conditioning the battery. Lithium Ion Polymer Pouch Cells do not require any kind of "conditioning" as suggested for other battery chemistry. By following 94lt1's advice you're calibrating the meter TO the battery. The battery will do what a battery does, take as much charge as it can hold based on the charger's set thresholds and what the manufacturer suggests for a specific expected lifespan. There is NOTHING you can do to force the battery to take more charge than it will take safely, but you can certainly overcharge it with some methods described elsewhere and you MAY get 5-10% more out if a daily cycle but you will DRAMATICALLY reduce the battery's usable lifespan. Considering these batteries are not designed to be "user replaceable", this would result in a premature and substantial expense to replace.

Also as 94lt1 said, avoid fully discharging the battery or "letting it die". These batteries are actually designed to shut down completely and never accept a charge again if discharged too far, as a protection to prevent it from becoming unstable and potentially hazardous. By doing a "drain" either first charge or later, you are risking the battery becoming unresponsive to charge. There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere about people who's phones refuse to charge after having let them discharge to 0%.

You are best using the battery meter like you would use your car's gas tank. If you let your tank go to 0% (run out of gas), you're gonna stuck on the highway for 3 hours. If you are near a charging source (i.e. wall outlet, car adapter, computer USB port), plug in. If your battery dips below 15%, try to limit use to emergencies until you can replenish. There's a reason why the phone says to connect the charger at 15%. These batteries also actually last longer (number of charges), if you charge in several shorter periods of time throughout the day rather than one long charge from almost dead to 100%.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Thanks for the plug...by the way, that's FoxKat - notice the "K". It's a combination of the first three letters of mine and the wife's last names, hence the second capital letter. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.