Love my RAZR MAXX HD but have a question....

cynergyou

Reaction score
I love my Droid Razr Maxx HD. I got it last spring when it was recently released. it is my first smartphone and I rely on it a lot. I bought an Otterbox case for it and it has endured the bumps and bangs of day-to-day use.

I have one question... how do I uninstall apps from my phone? I have some apps that I don't need/want. I went to the apps configuration page and tried to find an "uninstall" button/function, but couldn't locate one. I only see the "update" button (to check for updates for the app).

Thanks in advance!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I love my Droid Razr Maxx HD. I got it last spring when it was recently released. it is my first smartphone and I rely on it a lot. I bought an Otterbox case for it and it has endured the bumps and bangs of day-to-day use.

I have one question... how do I uninstall apps from my phone? I have some apps that I don't need/want. I went to the apps configuration page and tried to find an "uninstall" button/function, but couldn't locate one. I only see the "update" button (to check for updates for the app).

Thanks in advance!
First and foremost you don't want do uninstall or delete certain apps. Let me explain. There are some apps that come with your phone that you can uninstall, commonly referred to as bloat ware. When you go into settings/apps and select an app, if it gives you the option to uninstall then it is safe to uninstall it. You may have to remove the updates before you get that option, but you can safely uninstall that app. On the other hand there are apps that the manufacture or your carrier put on the phone that the only option you have to SAFELY keep them from starting is to "disable" them. Like I mentioned above you may have to remove the updates to get to the disable option. If you press the updates button it will give you the option to uninstall the updates. After you do that you will then be given the option to disable the app. Another option you have is to root your phone. By rooting you can "freeze" and app that is on your phone. Freezing an app is essentially like disabling it, it will prevent the app from running at start up or any other time for that matter and on some launchers it will take the app out of your app drawer. Here is a rule of thumb...if the app that came with your phone gives you the option to uninstall it then you can uninstall it safely. However, if you need root to uninstall an app then the only options you have to keep that app from running is to disable it or freeze it. The reason it is not a good idea to delete or uninstall an app that doesn't give you the option to do so in "stock" mode is that when you want to receive an Over The Air update (OTA) from Verizon, the update will check to see if your phone has all the apps it came with (minus the bloat ware you could delete without root). If you have deleted or uninstalled an app like NFL Football for instance, you will not be able to successfully receive and install the update. Root is the best option you have to "freeze" all unwanted, not used apps. Hope this helps.

OP
C

cynergyou

Reaction score
thanks jpcalhoun. I'll see if i can disable the apps. i tried earlier, but wasn't able to find the disable function for some of the apps.

i'll try again and see if I can disable the unneeded ones.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I have disabled or removed all that can be - Then went back and restored everything to stock.
The phone runs better stock, it has been "optimized" to do so and if you think about it - that makes sense.
IF the phone ran better without bloat then everybody would freeze/remove the bloat and $$ would be lost to VZW.
They make sure the phone runs best with all it came with.

KaChow

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

In no time you will be able to understand how to disable your apps that you do not want. What I suggest and this has been very helpful to many Razr/Maxx HD owners is to take a look at my Safe to Remove Bloatware thread in the Development section. I recommend going through it, which I have not updated it to 4.1.2 as it reflects JB 4.1.1, but there really have just been slight changes in the actual app name. Take a look at the thread, I tend to take a very aggressive approach in removing bloatware, but at the same time there are apps that can be removed, however there can be consequences to removing them. For instance anytime an app includes APN in it, do not remove, apps like Backup Assistant can fully removed, while other apps like Entitlement I suggest avoiding, but I do list these apps and more in the guide, so take your time and go through it. Avoid uninstalling apps, as if you do and their is a system update, you will likely have problems updating.