Love incredible, like EVO 4G more?

BzB

Reaction score
the evo will be a very good android phone. it could be considered a bigger incredible. a colleague of mine has the HTC hd2 (same dimensions as the evo) and while it's too wide for my liking, he's cool with the trade off. very nice screen, but it's not a device that feels comfortable in your pocket. it feels and looks like you're carrying around a legal notepad in your pocket. lol

kmo

Reaction score
At the rate of speed these phones are coming out I'm going to want a new one every month, ha ha. In any case I am very happy right now with my INC. All the new devices have very similar hardware so I'm not feeling left in the dust, yet. Haven't picked up a phone with a 4"+ screen yet so not to sure about the bigger size. I'm definitely a cell in pocket guy too.

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
I guess I'm a dork because I have always carried my phone on my belt. I would not want to have the phone in my pockets as they are already full with my wallet on one side and my keys and chapstick on the other. It seems stupid to turn in a phone that I think is kick *ss, however everytime I go to the Verizon store it is almost as bad as the Secretary of state office- you wait forever and often get someone who can't find their *ss with both hands. When I went to the Sprint store I got immediate service from someone who knew even less:(. I think I like fast and real dumb over slow and dumb. The size of the phone will not be an issue, in fact at my size it will look normal. If ATT did not drop so many calls I would have stayed with them. If I lose you I will call you right back, hello? hello? Sh8T!!!

rushmore

Reaction score
Four main things could be a killer for EVO in comparison to Inc

1. 4g only works in a VERY small coverage area and even the cities that have it only have partial coverage.

2. 3G coverage is also very weak, unless you stay in city areas- forget using 3G on the road much.

3. 4G is reported to be draining a lot more battery than 3G. Theory was the 4G on Sprint would drain less.

4. I have used the HD2 and have average sized hands. It is very difficult using the device with one hand and not run risk of dropping it. Sure, it is only .3" bigger, but the Inc was already about right. The misleading thing about the "just .3"" bigger is the .3 has to be multiplied around the edge to get the true ergonomics impact.

Just try an HD2 and you will see what I mean. Unless you have BIG hands :)

Last edited:

dwagner88

Reaction score
Four main things could be a killer for EVO in comparison to Inc

1. 4g only works in a VERY small coverage area and even the cities that have it only have partial coverage.

2. 3G coverage is also very weak, unless you stay in city areas- forget using 3G on the road much.

:)

I thought that sprint customers could roam on vzw networks? Shouldn't they get roaming coverage everywhere we do?

Guchi

Reaction score
I thought that sprint customers could roam on vzw networks? Shouldn't they get roaming coverage everywhere we do?

no they don't. i switched from sprint because my friends vzw service was so much better.

chrisxgordon

Reaction score
Moparharn, I would have to agree with you about the EVO 4G in some regards, but I want to you to analyze your own personal situation before rushing into a decision. Here are some important things to know and keep in mind when deciding between the EVO 4G and the HTC Incredible:

Both phones are relatively identical. They both sport Android OS 2.1 and most design aspects and buttons on the phone are the same. However, there are a few things that the EVO 4G has a leg up on:

- Obviously, as you mentioned it has the forward facing camera, which will primarily serve useful when video chatting with friends or taking self portraits.
- The EVO 4G does have a larger display, however that does not necessarily mean that the text and icons on the screen will render larger. In fact, the larger screen will only primarily be useful while surfing the internet and watching movies.
- The EVO 4G will be a great cinematic experience. If you are someone who watches a lot of movies, this may be of particular importance to you considering the EVO's optimization for watching videos.
- The EVO 4G will produce noticeably faster speeds while on Sprint's new 4G Network. So, obviously Sprint's coverage vs. Verizon's coverage in your area should play a large role in your decision.

MY PERSONAL OPINION

From what I've seen, this phone looks amazing and I must say that I am quite impressed that Sprint is finally getting a phone that can rival Verizon and AT&T's top selling smartphones. In my opinion, the ability to video chat and enjoy a nice cinematic movie experience wherever you are is what sets this phone apart in my opinion.

So, assuming that I wasn't locked into a death contract with Verizon and that I had the money to spare, I would definitely get the EVO 4G!

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
Driving home from a kayak trip today my buddy tells me he dropped Sprint three months ago. We both live in the same city/neighborhood. He cannot get reception in his home on Sprint. He can get no reception on the street I live on! There are several DEAD zones in our city. Thank god I talked to him. I dropped ATT because I was sick of dropping calls at two places in my drive home from work. If Sprint coverage in my city is for sh*t, that is a deal breaker for me, I don't care how good their phone is.
I THOUGHT SPRINT ROAMED ON VERIZON WHEN THERE WAS NO SPRINT COVERAGE? GUESS NOT

I can handle the incredible for one year until something new and great comes out. There is no 4G in Detroit and my Incredible is so dog gone fast I can't even imagine how 4G could be noticeable. I push the Incredible with my finger and the page loads right now. I will always wonder what the big screen could have done for me, but I never watch movies on my phone so the big advantage is not that important there. I do surf and read alot of emails though. Video chat would be very nice (I think), but in a year the bugs will be worked out of that too.

chrisxgordon

Reaction score
Driving home from a kayak trip today my buddy tells me he dropped Sprint three months ago. We both live in the same city/neighborhood. He cannot get reception in his home on Sprint. He can get no reception on the street I live on! There are several DEAD zones in our city. Thank god I talked to him. I dropped ATT because I was sick of dropping calls at two places in my drive home from work. If Sprint coverage in my city is for sh*t, that is a deal breaker for me, I don't care how good their phone is.

Well, i'm glad that you talked to that friend first.. Finding out each cell provider's coverage in your area is definitely the most important factor to consider. So, enjoy your Incredible for now.. At the rate that smartphones have been coming out lately, there is inevitably another great phone just around the corner.. (And I'm not referring to Apple's tremendously overrated line iPhones)

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
...I THOUGHT SPRINT ROAMED ON VERIZON WHEN THERE WAS NO SPRINT COVERAGE? GUESS NOT...
Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, Metro PCS, US Cellular and others all use CDMA/EVDO technology for their 2G/3G networks.

But same technology doesn't mean they share networks or towers.

While Sprint and Verizon might have some roaming agreements (allowing a sprint user to roam onto VZW's towers and vice versa) in place, they don't have agreements like that everywhere. If they did, Sprint's "network" would be as big as VZW's.

Its a good think you talked to someone you know who is a Sprint customer in your area. That is ALWAYS the best thing to do before you switch carriers as coverage maps and sales reps don't always tell the true story.

blu1080

Reaction score
i like the bigger screen and the fact that phone memory is 1gb instead of 512MB (for apps) because to me having 8gigs of internal memory is useless with only 512MB for apps

rushmore

Reaction score
i like the bigger screen and the fact that phone memory is 1gb instead of 512MB (for apps) because to me having 8gigs of internal memory is useless with only 512MB for apps

EVO has less space for apps:

EVO = 1gb - OS & preinstalled stock apps = about 640mb free

Incredible uses the 512mb rom for OS & stock apps and has 748mb free for apps storage out of the box (this is why only 6.6gb of built in space is free). Also, when 2.2 is released, there will be less space for apps, since bigger OS update & more stock apps. Incredible will not be affected, since it uses the 512 rom only for OS & stock apps. The 748mb flash space third party apps is not touched. I have 300mb of apps installed and still 448mb free.

Sure the EVO has 1GB, but bigger OS, more stock apps, format space and THEN you have the third party app storage. Still a lot more space than Droid and other devices.

As far as the Inc, how is having extra gigs of space useless???? My 1,000 songs in that space along with room for pictures and other downloads would disagree ;) That does not even count the 16gb microsd :)

mrmomoman

Reaction score
I have medium sized hands and I find that the EVO 4G is just right. I had the HD2 and I liked it. At first is wasn't as "nimble" in my hands as the specs would suggest its not that much larger but it does feel larger in the hand. I have a glider case from casebrown on my IPHONE 3GS and a BlackBerry Bold 9000 so over time I got use to the size. The EVO 4G will be the same width without a case. With a case I can see that it will become somewhat bulky comparatively speaking. It is a thin phone for the size as well.

The 4G service in ATL, GA is very good and Sprint built the 4G with the idea of making a good 3G phone that will transition into 4G when it started hitting other areas. I heard good and bad things about Sprint and to be honest that can be said of all the carriers.

I will try them out and see how it goes. I tried T-MOBILE but the coverage areas sucks. AT&T does a good job except for the most part. Verizon has pretty decent 3G speeds compared to my AT&T.

The DI blows away the IPHONE 3GS on the browsing speeds.

The front facing camera is not a selling feature for me. It's the HD2 in Android form :) That was what I wished for when I had the HD2. I heard they will update it soon after the launch with Froyo 2.2. Let's hope so. If Sprint can stay on top of the updates they will gain traction with the DROID-ITES.

To the OP I think you are making the right move to the market that you are in. If you were in a strong 4G or even 3G area then it would be much more difficult to make a decision. Since you have a 30 day return policy I would still try out the phone for your own tests with the service and reception. It won't hurt. You will know very quickly how bad it really is in your area.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Sprint is great....
at the locations they have service.
I switched out to VZ cause Sprint sucks where i am at.
I personally like the EVO in comparison to the Incredible.
But..until i test the phone out...thas just based on the looks.