Lottery ticket checker

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jedihep, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jedihep

jedihep New Member

I'm new to the Droid, but here's an app I'd like to see someone make that isn't in the marketplace. It seems that the Droid and some of the other smart phones are well capable of it and only need the app written that will make it possible. I'd like to see someone write an app that would let you use the barcode/dotmatrix capabilities of these phones to scan your powerball and daily number tickets to check them for any winners that you may have missed. It just seems to me that if you can check them that way at the local store and the information is readily available online, so why wait in line at the store to check your tickets, check them at your leisure in the comfort of your home with your smart phone! Let me know what you think. I know very little of programing but the hardware is there. It just seems that it just needs someone to be interested enough to write the app to preform this task. If someone is capable of this or if I my thought process on this app idea is faulty please let me know.
  2. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Interesting idea........
  3. navdoc1110

navdoc1110 New Member

I would buy this as well
  4. luckylotto

luckylotto New Member

realy its good idea...........
  5. NoKz

NoKz New Member

I'd buy it
  6. baniels

baniels New Member

I've been toying with that idea since before I got the Droid. The barcodes themselves don't contain the numbers picked - just the ID of the purchased ticket.
  7. Steve H

Steve H Member

I'd buy it if we had a lotto in Utah.................
  8. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Ya the ticket barcode just is a reference id to the lottery database with all the info about where it was purchased and what numbers were selected. Only the lottery themselves would be able to produce such an app with access to the database.

Most you'd get 3rd party is an app that shows the current winning numbers, which you can easily just bookmark their website for anyhow.
  9. williestylez

williestylez New Member

10. pudah

pudah New Member

It seems to me that the only hang up would be tapping in to the system that the stores use to scan the tickets and check to see if they are a winner or not. That and the number of lotteries out there (inc. scratch offs) would be daunting and complicated. Perhaps each state could have an app for it's lottery. Once they become keen to this idea I suspect they'd allow the app to use that database.

Until then you could probably make an app that would take a picture of a ticket (already knowing the format for that specific lottery, and the layout of the ticket) and recognize the numbers on it, converting to a digital copy of the numbers and then checking against online listings for major lotteries. Not as fast, and more complicated than using the bar code, but it could be a good intermediary app.
  11. Aaron Windsor

Aaron Windsor New Member

I've recently implemented just such an app for Mega Millions - it's called "Mega Millions Scanner" in the market (there's also a somewhat crippled lite version available for free.) Instead of reading barcodes, it scans the individual rows of numbers on any Mega Millions ticket. It stores all the numbers you scan in and lets you know what you've won once the drawing is held.

If you're interested, check out this video to see it in action: .

I'm planning on making versions of this app for Powerball and other major lotteries. If anyone is interested in support for a particular lottery other than Powerball or Mega Millions, contact me at aaron@analogapps.com and let me know. I'd also love to hear from anyone who tries out the app and has feedback, good or bad.
  12. rgcustom

rgcustom New Member

This would be a Sweet lottery checker app

This kind of app would save a lot of patients for a lot of people. Good luck on getting your lottery checker app out their.
Search tags for this page
android lottery ticket scanner
app to scan lottery tickets

lottery barcode scanner

lottery barcode scanner app

lottery scanner

lottery scanner app

lottery ticket app
lottery ticket barcode scanner

lottery ticket scanner

lottery ticket scanner app

lotto scanner app