LOTS of Apps "stopped unexpectedly"

Shepherd Jim

Reaction score
My Droid froze to a black screen 2 nights ago right in the midle of Angry Birds. I had to pull the battery to re-boot it.

Then, pretty much MOST of my apps, when I tap their icons, begin to start but then a little window pops open

Sorry!
The application noodles [for example] (process com.makeramen.noodles) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
..and then there's a "Force close" button at the bottom of the little window.

Last night a LOT of my app needed updating -- updates were downloaded and installed and I was hoping that things would be right but everything's still "stopping unexpectedly". ...well, not everything, but LOTS

help! PLEASE! Jim

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If your Droid was bought new from VZW and is under a year old, I would investigate getting a warranty replacement.

You could first try a factory data reset, but then you will have to set your phone back up. You will get most of your apps back, though. Just make sure you're on WiFi when you do and after signing back into your google account, just set the phone down and don't mess with it for about a half hour until you get the 'xxx applications restored' message in your notification bar.

OP
Shepherd Jim

Shepherd Jim

Reaction score
If your Droid was bought new from VZW and is under a year old, I would investigate getting a warranty replacement.
I didn't get the sense that the problem was hardware related -- more like maybe one app tripped over the toes of another. I guess if it crashes like this again I get myself down to the VZW store.

You could first try a factory data reset, but then you will have to set your phone back up. You will get most of your apps back, though. Just make sure you're on WiFi when you do and after signing back into your google account, just set the phone down and don't mess with it for about a half hour until you get the 'xxx applications restored' message in your notification bar.
Is my pulling the battery out the same as a "factory data reset"? I feel like I've been setting the whole fun up all over again.

What I'm having to do is uninstall each app -- one by one. Then go to the Market and re-download and install each. They all seem to work again just fine. A couple have even "seen" that there was a backed up data set on the SD card and asked if I wanted to load same

I'm afraid I don't understand why you said what you did about being on WiFi. Is there some way that all my apps could be re-installed without me having to search each one out in the Market?

Sorry for being so dense -- I'm an old dog trying hard to keep up with lots of new tricks.

Thanks! Jim

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Pulling the battery is not a reset. Reboot into recovery, (power phone down, slide out keyboard, press and hold x and do NOT LET GO until you're in recovery, power phone up) and when you get the triangle and ! press the volume up rocker and camera at the same time. Wipe the phone -- it should also be listed as a factory reset.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Not a problem about the old dog thing, I've passed the halfway point myself. I'll try to go into a bit more detail. As far as being on WiFi after the factory data reset, that is so you have the best connection for google to restore you apps. But first, if you have downloaded any task killers and/or anti-virus apps for you phone, uninstall them. Android does a good enough job on its own for those things. The added programs only cause problems. Reboot (turn of and then on again) your phone. If that doesn't work, try the data reset.

As furman said, pulling the battery is not a factory data reset and he listed one way to do it. The other way is to go via the phone's menu system. What this is going to do is erase your contacts, apps, etc., basically making it like new out of the box (except for any system updates). I'll list the buttons with a "->" inbetween each step:

menu -> settings -> privacy -> factory data reset

But first, let's go here:

menu -> settings -> accounts and sync

and make sure that "Background data" and "Auto-sync" are checked. Make sure you are connected via WiFi as wehn the phone reboots, you will see the green Android man telling you to touch him to begin. This is where you sign back into your google account. After you get the p[hone signed back in it will ask about the 'background data' and 'auto sync' again, go ahead and say yes. Once it starts syncing, the only thing you might want to do is go here:

menu -> settings -> Wireless & networks and get it connected to your wifi again. Then just set the phone down for a good while until you get the "xxx applications restored" message in your notification bar.

Whew, I'm talked out for now.

good luck