Lost the ability to defrost apps

jfbb43

Reaction score
I uninstalled the app that I froze my bloatware with. After I realized what I uninstalled I put the program back on my phone and now they are not listed as frozen. I cannot find a way to uninstall the bloatware and restore the backups. Would a factory reset defrost or restore the bloatware, or should I used the Droid RAZR Utility to restore back to stock? If I go with the utility would it be best to remove superuser and unroot before restoring back? Sorry this is all new to me and I've been searching for a few days, but not coming up with an exact answer. Thanks for looking.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I uninstalled the app that I froze my bloatware with. After I realized what I uninstalled I put the program back on my phone and now they are not listed as frozen. I cannot find a way to uninstall the bloatware and restore the backups. Would a factory reset defrost or restore the bloatware, or should I used the Droid RAZR Utility to restore back to stock? If I go with the utility would it be best to remove superuser and unroot before restoring back? Sorry this is all new to me and I've been searching for a few days, but not coming up with an exact answer. Thanks for looking.
First recommendation. Never delete an app...never delete anything that came on your phone from the factory/carrier. It is ok to delete/uninstall apps that you have downloaded and installed. You can use the utility to return to stock, then do a factory reset immediately after for good measure. The you can root using the utility and download an app to freeze the bloatware...freeze do not delete anything.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Did you "freeze" or "uninstall" the apps? Big difference. If you just froze them, it can he fixed. Download Root Explorer, go to /system/app and scroll through each file. You'll notice some that have a .bak extension instead of .apk. rename them all to .apk. Reboot and all apps are now unfroze.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tutorialbs

Reaction score
First recommendation. Never delete an app...never delete anything that came on your phone from the factory/carrier. It is ok to delete/uninstall apps that you have downloaded and installed. You can use the utility to return to stock, then do a factory reset immediately after for good measure. The you can root using the utility and download an app to freeze the bloatware...freeze do not delete anything.
Really? I just used Manage Apps to delete everything in the "Downloads" and "Media" area that the phone came with, then I also think I deleted a few obvious pay-for-crap-apps that Verizon puts on everyone's phone... I installed from 215 to 219 ok, do you think I should put them back or will I be ok?

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Really? I just used Manage Apps to delete everything in the "Downloads" and "Media" area that the phone came with, then I also think I deleted a few obvious pay-for-crap-apps that Verizon puts on everyone's phone... I installed from 215 to 219 ok, do you think I should put them back or will I be ok?

You should put them back. If you delete anything that requires root access to remove, the phone will not accept an OTA.

OP
J

jfbb43

Reaction score
Did you "freeze" or "uninstall" the apps? Big difference. If you just froze them, it can he fixed. Download Root Explorer, go to /system/app and scroll through each file. You'll notice some that have a .bak extension instead of .apk. rename them all to .apk. Reboot and all apps are now unfroze.

I froze. I should be a little bit clearer with my statement. After I rooted I installed AntTek app manager and froze the bloatware. After all bloatware was froze I uninstalled AntTek app manager. When I reinstalled app manager all my frozen bloatware was missing. Everything was backup prior to freezing. I got a reply from FoxKat and used the RAZR utility to restore to stock. Looks like most of the bloatware is back. Not that I care, but the Madden Demo was not there after the restore. I'm not sure if there were other apps missing like this. I did not factory reset after the restore. Should I still do this, or am I in the clear?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Some apps "freeze" using techniques not compatible with others, so this happens often when freezing with one, then switching to another to unfreeze. As for why this failed, I suspect the "log" of the frozen apps (which the program would need in order to find and reverse), was taken out when you uninstalled. There is no way I know of to rebuild that frozen app log.

Since you did the Fastboot, but Madden isn't back, your only option may be to FDR however I am not sure if Madden is one that MUST be there for OTA. If I'm not mistaken it can be deleted so it may be that it's unimportant for the OTA.

Sajid Rasheed

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S6790
I froze some apps with titanium backups now my cell samsung S6790 is not responding nor restarting nor being hard reset. Any solution if there is any :(