lost root, couldn't find answer in existing threads, please help!

dogfrankgeorge

Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for your help. I did search the forums for a solution to my problem, but couldn't seem to find anything. If I missed the thread I needed, please excuse my duplicate post and direct me to the proper place.

From the top: I rooted my stock phone using the non adb method via a terminal emulator. I used this method because I couldn't get adb to see my device. Yes I had usb debugging turned on and tried all the connection types. The root was successful and I was able to use several programs that required su permissions. Then a week or so later I did a legit over-the-air upgrade to froyo. The upgrade was successful. Now I've tried to use some things that require su. They are unable to get root access and I don't ever get the permission request popup. I still have the su app in my launcher. The list is not blank. I do not get the # in terminal emulator, it stays as the $. I tried the same root process again, including redownloading the necessary files. It fails right at beginning when I type in the first command to change the directory. I discovered later that this method doesn't work with froyo. Then I found that you can use the one-click method that was intended for the droid 2 on my droid x. So I did that, and the program seemed to think it was successful, but the droid disagrees, and nothing seems to have changed since before I made the first attempt to re-root.

Thanks again!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hi and thanks in advance for your help. I did search the forums for a solution to my problem, but couldn't seem to find anything. If I missed the thread I needed, please excuse my duplicate post and direct me to the proper place.

From the top: I rooted my stock phone using the non adb method via a terminal emulator. I used this method because I couldn't get adb to see my device. Yes I had usb debugging turned on and tried all the connection types. The root was successful and I was able to use several programs that required su permissions. Then a week or so later I did a legit over-the-air upgrade to froyo. The upgrade was successful. Now I've tried to use some things that require su. They are unable to get root access and I don't ever get the permission request popup. I still have the su app in my launcher. The list is not blank. I do not get the # in terminal emulator, it stays as the $. I tried the same root process again, including redownloading the necessary files. It fails right at beginning when I type in the first command to change the directory. I discovered later that this method doesn't work with froyo. Then I found that you can use the one-click method that was intended for the droid 2 on my droid x. So I did that, and the program seemed to think it was successful, but the droid disagrees, and nothing seems to have changed since before I made the first attempt to re-root.

Thanks again!
So you're saying the rageinthecage.bin method doesn't work to reroot your phone?

OP
D

dogfrankgeorge

Reaction score
It was rooted before froyo, and then root waslost after the upgrade. I haven't figured out how to get it back. The super oneclick method did not work, and adb does not work either.

OP
D

dogfrankgeorge

Reaction score
Last I knew it worked fine. :)

So I finally had time to sit down and try this. I followed all the directions exactly, and it failed at step 4. I ran ./rage*.bin and after a few lines of processing, it stated that it was looking for adb, and then stopped, returning a no such file or directory error. Just to be sure, I force closed terminal emulator as the next step says to do, and reopened it, looking for the # prompt, but it still shows the $. so now what?

Thanks.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It sounds to me as if you don't have the rageinthecage file on there or its not in the right place.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App