Lost Original Rooted Backup

kensicks17

Reaction score
I made a backup of my verizon Rom after I rooted it and before I installed a custom Rom. Now I seemed to have lost the backup. Can I use someone elses droid x backup to restore my phone to its original verizon rom??

maddog0331

Reaction score
In theory you can but unless you have a really good friend, I don't think that anybody is going to give you one the main reason being it has all your information inside that back up. You may have to look into sbf back to stock.

OP
K

kensicks17

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have already gotten the backup from my friend. I just wanted to make sure I can use it.

maddog0331

Reaction score
Just make sure that you are using the right one for your system. For example don't use the .215 on the new .340 other than that you should be good

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
K

kensicks17

Reaction score
He has the same as me. We rooted ours at the same time. Thanks for the help.

mcp770

Reaction score
This is pointless really. If you just had a rooted stock verizon "clean" rom backed up why not just run the maderstcok340.zip which takes you to stock ota 340 in five minutes then use z4root taking one minute to reroot? I think you could return to that clean state faster than restoring a backup.

I keep 4 key files on my sd card at all times. 1. maderstock340.zip 2. bootstrap recovery.apk 3. z4root.apk 4. current rom of choice Doing this I can be back to stock within moments and install a new rom or update whenever I need to do so. Nandroids are only handy when switching between roms alot which I rarely do.

OP
K

kensicks17

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have just asked for the easiest way to get back to my stock rom. I've never used maderstcok340. Do you have some more info about it. I really appreciate your help.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
This is pointless really. If you just had a rooted stock verizon "clean" rom backed up why not just run the maderstcok340.zip which takes you to stock ota 340 in five minutes then use z4root taking one minute to reroot? I think you could return to that clean state faster than restoring a backup.

I keep 4 key files on my sd card at all times. 1. maderstock340.zip 2. bootstrap recovery.apk 3. z4root.apk 4. current rom of choice Doing this I can be back to stock within moments and install a new rom or update whenever I need to do so. Nandroids are only handy when switching between roms alot which I rarely do.

There's no point in talking down to him. He simply asked a question, and maderstock340 isn't as thoroughly discussed as nandroid backups. It is a definitely a good idea to keep those 4 files on your phone as well as on your computer with at least one nandroid backup just to be safe.

OP
K

kensicks17

Reaction score
I don't think he was talking down to me. I appreciate all the info i can get. I have one more question. My phone is already at 340. Can I still use maderstcok to flash my phone back to stock??

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I don't think he was talking down to me. I appreciate all the info i can get. I have one more question. My phone is already at 340. Can I still use maderstcok to flash my phone back to stock??

Yes, it's basically the same thing as doing a .sbf and it only takes 3-4 minutes. I definitely definitely suggest wiping Data and Cache before hand though.

mcp770

Reaction score

Absolutely! Coming from Blackberry I am way anal about installing roms and overkill the process because you had to with those pieces of crap. But on the other hand never have issues this way either. I backup all my apps to the sd and use titanium backup to save app data. Whenever I do a new rom I run the maderstcok340 zip, reroot, wipe data/cache, and then install whatever custom rom. Here is my process I just put on liberty thread oddly enough:
**first backup key sd card folders like media, camera pics, etc to computer. Then format the sd card using the pc quick format as fat32. Copy those folders back to sd. Ensures no corrupted files on sd...overkill, yes but what the hell***
1. Download maderstcok340.zip, z4root.apk, bootstrap.apk, and whatever rom zip to sd card.
2. boot into clockwork wipe data/cache
3. choose install zip from sd and navigate to maderstcok340.zip and run it. When done reboot. This gives you clean install of .340 OTA unrooted. Stop here if you want new OTA or keep stock. Activate but skip all sign ins if continuing to next step.
4. Use file explorer and find your sd card install z4root and bootstrap. Run z4root and wait for reboot...you are once again rooted.
5. Skip everything again and run bootstrap into recovery.
6. Wipe data/cache again
7. Install your custom rom, reboot, enjoy.

ps, I was in no way trying to be a smart ass simply suggesting that getting back to stock is so easy with the 340zip nandroids really aren't the needed safety net they once were unless you have real elaborate home screen setups and custom settings. Always just my personal opinion and if I can help just one persons life easier it was worth sharing.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I know this isn't helpful, well, without posting direct links. But in my signature in my writeups, I have listed links to Maderstock (for use with the .340 update), and SBF info and ROM info. If you ever need anything it my be a good place to start. Let us know how flashing someone's backup goes, or how the Maderstock works!

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen

Absolutely! Coming from Blackberry I am way anal about installing roms and overkill the process because you had to with those pieces of crap. But on the other hand never have issues this way either. I backup all my apps to the sd and use titanium backup to save app data. Whenever I do a new rom I run the maderstcok340 zip, reroot, wipe data/cache, and then install whatever custom rom. Here is my process I just put on liberty thread oddly enough:
**first backup key sd card folders like media, camera pics, etc to computer. Then format the sd card using the pc quick format as fat32. Copy those folders back to sd. Ensures no corrupted files on sd...overkill, yes but what the hell***
1. Download maderstcok340.zip, z4root.apk, bootstrap.apk, and whatever rom zip to sd card.
2. boot into clockwork wipe data/cache
3. choose install zip from sd and navigate to maderstcok340.zip and run it. When done reboot. This gives you clean install of .340 OTA unrooted. Stop here if you want new OTA or keep stock. Activate but skip all sign ins if continuing to next step.
4. Use file explorer and find your sd card install z4root and bootstrap. Run z4root and wait for reboot...you are once again rooted.
5. Skip everything again and run bootstrap into recovery.
6. Wipe data/cache again
7. Install your custom rom, reboot, enjoy.

ps, I was in no way trying to be a smart ass simply suggesting that getting back to stock is so easy with the 340zip nandroids really aren't the needed safety net they once were unless you have real elaborate home screen setups and custom settings. Always just my personal opinion and if I can help just one persons life easier it was worth sharing.

Well that was absolutely a miscommunication on my part, and I apologize! And I haven't actually used maderstock, rather just reflash my original if I feel like going back to stock (which I did the other day and remembered why I rooted in the first place).

Titanium Backup is a must, and well worth donating to!

OP
K

kensicks17

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I ran the 340.zip today. Everything went perfect. Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App