Lost mobile data capability

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Hopefully it works just as good for you as it does for me. I can't see an FJ as being a lot louder than a JK Jeep Wrangler (unless it's one of the older model FJ's with no roof). One other cool thing with this kit is that it automatically launches Driving Mode as soon as my phone is connected; where a Bluetooth headset would need to wait until you reach 15 MPH to kick in Driving Mode.
No, it's a newer FJ, so there's a roof -- it's just not insulated well.
Didn't know 15 mph was the sweet spot. I've been trying to trigger it while driving down my driveway lol. I think I'll stop trying.
Thanks again! I'm really excited to give it a try. My mobile phone set up has been the biggest frustration with the T2.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It's here.... I'm not sure where I'll be able to mount it, so it is temporarily here. There's not any good flat spaces on my dash. I'll be curious to try to have a conversation over it tonight on my drive home.
uploadfromtaptalk1468001843667.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
FJ dashes sure have changed since my Mom drove one for a while when I was a kid. Good luck with your new Bluetooth setup.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
FJ dashes sure have changed since my Mom drove one for a while when I was a kid. Good luck with your new Bluetooth setup.

Ha! I bet they have! It's not a bad dash until you try to mount something somewhere. The console area (I think that's what this area is called) is about the only flat surface. Everything else is rolly. You should google images of FJ dashes so you can see what I'm up against. I do have one small flat area on the left of the steering wheel, but that's where my phone dock is mounted. I think it would be too loud next to the door to mount the mic anyway.
If this works, I'll use the official 3M double stick tape and mount that puppy right there. Not my ideal spot, but I can't figure anywhere else to put it. My final project will be hiding the cables. I don't like wires all over the place.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
That set up is AWESOME! Callers could hear me! My husband, the pickiest of them all, said I sounded like I was in a quiet room. Thanks bunches fit the suggestion! Ready for my road trip!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So, that's why other FJ drivers wave at me....

Probably. I have never owned one, but they may have their own unwritten rule about waving. As you know, they are not a Jeep, they are a Toyota, but similar to Jeeps. And they used a similar naming style with the FJ moniker. When I bought my first Jeep CJ in 1986 I learned about the Jeep Wave and have been an avid "waver" ever since.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Probably. I have never owned one, but they may have their own unwritten rule about waving. As you know, they are not a Jeep, they are a Toyota, but similar to Jeeps. And they used a similar naming style with the FJ moniker. When I bought my first Jeep CJ in 1986 I learned about the Jeep Wave and have been an avid "waver" ever since.

Yeah, I was messing with you. Same goes for motorcycles & Corvettes. I'm a waving fool on the road. The corvette is long gone, but my daily driver FJ sees a lot of other FJs on the road.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Back from a beautiful road trip and successful training!

Observations with my phone and setup while on the road:

On Advanced Calling and Global I could not multitask. I was unable to use Waze while on a call. I know we went back and forth earlier on this, and thought I had it set up so there wouldn't be any question and it would work. It didn't...

Hands free did not work 90% of the time. I had to push my little microphone icon on my phone to tell it what I wanted to do and half the time the sweet lady didn't understand what I was saying (cabin noise didn't seem to be the issue, as I even tried while sitting in traffic or stopped at a light). Callers were saying they could hear me clearly, so it's not a microphone issue.

Waze sucked the battery dry even while plugged into the charger

I'm really bothered by the battery. The other issues were frustrating, but the battery draining while "charging" did not make me happy at all.

When I had my Bionic and Maxx, I had the ability to stop the phone from syncing emails. I would always do this while on the road to slow my battery drain. Is there a built-in option on my Turbo, or do I need to get an app for that?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your new phone. That has to be very frustrating. I have no idea why the battery would drain while plugged in to a charger, that makes no sense. U less your phone has developed the "charging issue" that affected others. Does it charge normally otherwise, when not navigating?

As far as automatically turning off email sync, I think that was part of the former Smart Actions app, and I am not aware of any setting on the Turbo 2 to do the same thing.

When was Moto Voice not recognizing your voice commands? New text, new email, new call? Is your voice command different than the standard"OK Google Now"? Once I got a smart watch I had to make my phone voice command different because the watch would trigger on OK Google before I could get out the "Now" and that would interfere with the phones voice commands.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your new phone. That has to be very frustrating. I have no idea why the battery would drain while plugged in to a charger, that makes no sense. U less your phone has developed the "charging issue" that affected others. Does it charge normally otherwise, when not navigating?

Yes, it appears to charge normally on a wall charger. Actually had great luck charging on my car charger until I tried to run Waze for a length of time. I started out with Waze and iHeart radio, killed the tunes, but Waze did a fine job of draining it alone.

As far as automatically turning off email sync, I think that was part of the former Smart Actions app, and I am not aware of any setting on the Turbo 2 to do the same thing.

They need to bring it back LOL! I don't need work emails dinging on my days off anyway :p

When was Moto Voice not recognizing your voice commands? New text, new email, new call? Is your voice command different than the standard"OK Google Now"? Once I got a smart watch I had to make my phone voice command different because the watch would trigger on OK Google before I could get out the "Now" and that would interfere with the phones voice commands.

My watch hears -- most times "OK Google". My phone is set up for "Hey lady, you there?" I must've gotten several stares yesterday, but I kept my dark glasses on and looked straight ahead. It had been working well Friday and early yesterday, but gave up about 100 miles into the trip and she never came back.

We just got back from a drive to the lake. I used "Maps" and plugged it in to see what would happen. In the ~30 minute drive out there, I started at 87% battery and ended up with 75% charging on 1 Amp. This was in my husbands truck. The charger I was using yesterday in my FJ is what came with that BT thingy. It's 1 Amp and 2 Amp. I don't know which one my phone was plugged into. Sorry, didn't think to look.

I'm thankful I have a fairly powerful battery pack I carry around with me (goes back to my Bionic days). I always have that for emergencies. I did use it while I was training yesterday to give it a little bit of a head start before I got back on the road. The car charger just won't keep up with Waze or Maps running. That's why I was hoping there was a way to turn off my email synching.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My watch hears -- most times "OK Google". My phone is set up for "Hey lady, you there?" I must've gotten several stares yesterday, but I kept my dark glasses on and looked straight ahead. It had been working well Friday and early yesterday, but gave up about 100 miles into the trip and she never came back.

We just got back from a drive to the lake. I used "Maps" and plugged it in to see what would happen. In the ~30 minute drive out there, I started at 87% battery and ended up with 75% charging on 1 Amp. This was in my husbands truck. The charger I was using yesterday in my FJ is what came with that BT thingy. It's 1 Amp and 2 Amp. I don't know which one my phone was plugged into. Sorry, didn't think to look....

I like the voice command, very nice. That should be unique enough that the phone should catch it and not confuse it with a common phrase. If it worked fine and then suddenly stopped, hopefully it was just a glitch and does not become a normal problem for you.

I don't use the charger that came with the BT kit very often, only a few times I have been driving long enough that I needed it. There is a 1A and 2A port on it. I would think the 2A port is meant for the phone and the 1A port is meant for the receiver unit. Maybe try using the 2A port on the phone the next time you are using Waze and see if that gives the phone enough juice to not drain? I'm still surprised that it drained so much plugged into anything.

So, the BT kit worked OK for calls & music? Is it working OK for you & better than speaker phone mode?