Lost mobile data capability

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
First, if this needs to move to another location, please let me know.... I did a brief search and couldn't find a spot for this, so here I am.
I just activated my stock T2 last week and everything was functioning flawlessly. I noticed last night that my data was set to "Global" so switched it to LTE/CDMA -- which is what I always have run in the past. Driving to work this morning, everything worked as it should and all day at work. Heading home tonight, I launched Waze and then called my husband as I always do. I got a notification pop up telling me that I could not use mobile data while making a call (I should have done a screen shot, but didn't). I finished up my call and pulled into a parking lot to change my setting back to Global, but I still couldn't run Waze and use the phone. What other setting got changed that I'm forgetting or overlooking? I haven't uploaded or installed anything new today. The only settings I tweaked were in my outgoing email settings because those weren't set up properly.. .
Thoughts?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Edit;. I'm going to make the assumption that this is something you haven't had working before but are just now experiencing the inability to call and surf at the same time. There are two steps to getting "Advanced Calling" (SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data Operation), working. First you need to activate it on your account by going to Verizonwireless.Com. Then you need to turn it in in the phone settings (settings, wireless & networks, Advanced Calling). Once done, your phone can make and receive calls while simultaneously using data for surfing and things like navigation. Note, this will only work in 4G networks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First, if this needs to move to another location, please let me know.... I did a brief search and couldn't find a spot for this, so here I am.
I just activated my stock T2 last week and everything was functioning flawlessly. I noticed last night that my data was set to "Global" so switched it to LTE/CDMA -- which is what I always have run in the past. Driving to work this morning, everything worked as it should and all day at work. Heading home tonight, I launched Waze and then called my husband as I always do. I got a notification pop up telling me that I could not use mobile data while making a call (I should have done a screen shot, but didn't). I finished up my call and pulled into a parking lot to change my setting back to Global, but I still couldn't run Waze and use the phone. What other setting got changed that I'm forgetting or overlooking? I haven't uploaded or installed anything new today. The only settings I tweaked were in my outgoing email settings because those weren't set up properly.. .
Thoughts?
Had the phone dropped back to 3G in the area you made the call? Like maybe the cell was having a bugaboo with LTE?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I tend to agree with @FoxKat . I think switching the Network Type from Global to LTE/CDMA caused an issue with the Advanced Calling functionality (which you have to have with Verizon in order to use Data & Cell service simultaneously). I would also agree with other posts that setting it back to Global, rebooting and ensuring that Advanced Calling is turned On in the phone's Settings should get you back on track.

I have run my Turbo and Turbo 2 on Network Type = Global and Advanced Calling On and have had no issues. Seems to work good for me.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Had the phone dropped back to 3G in the area you made the call? Like maybe the cell was having a bugaboo with LTE?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><
Ya know, I didn't think to look. I was driving, so I really didn't want to take my eyes of the road much to examine everything. I just drove it up the road to fill up with gas & it worked okay. I bet that's what it was. I work near the airport, so reception cuts out on occasion, I've just never had that happen before. Normally the call will drop.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I tend to agree with @FoxKat . I think switching the Network Type from Global to LTE/CDMA caused an issue with the Advanced Calling functionality (which you have to have with Verizon in order to use Data & Cell service simultaneously). I would also agree with other posts that setting it back to Global, rebooting and ensuring that Advanced Calling is turned On in the phone's Settings should get you back on track.

I have run my Turbo and Turbo 2 on Network Type = Global and Advanced Calling On and have had no issues. Seems to work good for me.
I don't know anything about that advanced calling thing. Does it cost extra & will it mess with my unlimited data?

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Reboot phone. If that doesn't bring it back power down and pull sim card for 10 minutes. If that doesn't do it you may want to try a new sim

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I did the reboot before I posted this and then took it out for a test drive while getting gas in my truck. It worked fine, so it may have been the area and the 3G/4G thing... I have moved it back to Global and rebooted again. I'll watch it tomorrow to and fro and see if that resolves the issue.
Thank you!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know anything about that advanced calling thing. Does it cost extra & will it mess with my unlimited data?

Nope, it's 100% free. All it does is allow your phone to use Data and make calls at the same time. It can now be turned on and activated right in the phones Settings under Settings > Advanced Calling. If that is not On, you cannot make calls and use Data at the same time on Verizon

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Edit;. I'm going to make the assumption that this is something you haven't had working before but are just now experiencing the inability to call and surf at the same time. There are two steps to getting "Advanced Calling" (SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data Operation), working. First you need to activate it on your account by going to Verizonwireless.Com. Then you need to turn it in in the phone settings (settings, wireless & networks, Advanced Calling). Once done, your phone can make and receive calls while simultaneously using data for surfing and things like navigation. Note, this will only work in 4G networks.

Thanks @FoxKat, but what I find odd is that I have never had this issue before, nor in the few days I had been using my new-to-me T2. This afternoon was the first time it did that to me.
I think it may have been a glitch up near the airport and not necessarily the phone. I have switched back to Global and rebooted. I'll watch it closely tomorrow on my commutes and let y'all know.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Nope, it's 100% free. All it does is allow your phone to use Data and make calls at the same time. It can now be turned on and activated right in the phones Settings under Settings > Advanced Calling. If that is not On, you cannot make calls and use Data at the same time on Verizon

Okay, I just activated it, but why was it working before today without the activation? I know it's been working because the Waze app has been talking over calls. Sorry to be a PITA, but this time, with this phone, I want to know as much as I can about the whys and hows so I might be able to figure some of this stuff out on my own AND help others down the road...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Okay, I just activated it, but why was it working before today without the activation? I know it's been working because the Waze app has been talking over calls. Sorry to be a PITA, but this time, with this phone, I want to know as much as I can about the whys and hows so I might be able to figure some of this stuff out on my own AND help others down the road...
I'm not 100% sure, but if Waze was working at the same time as calls, it must have been On. Maybe switching the Network type turned it Off? I'm not really sure.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ewwwww, that makes sense. I'll buy it :)
LOL. Hopefully things work OK for you after today. And you are not being a PITA in my opinion. You are being a forum member, asking good questions and trying to learn & share information. That's what this place is all about.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
LOL. Hopefully things work OK for you after today. And you are not being a PITA in my opinion. You are being a forum member, asking good questions and trying to learn & share information. That's what this place is all about.

Thanks, sajokaz! :D I do try to figure this stuff out on my own before posting.