Lost job. Switching to prepaid. Any LTE options?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by CharlieJ, Mar 18, 2014.

1. CharlieJ

CharlieJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To make a long story very short, I have been out of work since last October. We have 5 smartphones (4 Android & 1 iPhone 4S), along with a iPad and a JetPack on Verizon's network. I can't afford the $525 cell bill any longer. So, it looks like we are going to have to switch to prepaid with much less data, etc.

1) Does anyone know of a PREPAID VERIZON MVNO that allows moving our current LTE phones to their system?
    [AT&T's signal sucks in our area, so Verizon is the only real option that I know of.]

2) If none is the answer, to question 1, what are the best options for stepping down from a Droid DNA, S4 Mini, Razr and Droid4 to something acceptable in the prepaid lineup from a good MVNO?
    [I'm not concerned with the iPhone step down option right now.]

3) Do any of the Verizon MVNO's offer something similar to a JetPack? Or, can the JetPack be moved to an MVNO?
    [The best we can get for Internet otherwise is still dial-up from CenturyLink]

THANKS to anyone who can offer some advice. This is a bad situation...and I'm trying to make the best of it for my family.

2. beeray

beeray Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked into Metro PCS?

3. CharlieJ

CharlieJ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked them out. Only spotty "2G" coverage where I live... and a note saying I might get service inside a building.

Open to other suggestions.

4. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +112
    There are virtually no 4G prepaid MNVO's. That said, 3G has plenty for a mid-user such as myself. I currently use Straight Talk, and while they aren't great, you really get what you pay for. I'm using the Centura on Verizon's network for ~$45 per month. This past month, I got a prepaid unlimited PIN for about $43, and the month before was around $41. You can buy them on eBay, and some other smaller third party sites.

I have looked at Verizon prepaid, but I can't get over paying only $41 for virtually unlimited service.

5. kodiakmax

kodiakmax New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can get $30 T-Mobile cards from Walmart. Depending on coverage in your area of course.