Lost all contacts? (LG Ally)

cenglandjr

Reaction score
I just got my new phone, it is an LG Ally.

I got home, and begain processing all of my numbers over to the new phone manually (Right of passage don't ask why i still do it manually, there is no reason except I like to play with the new bells and whistles.) Once I got done, I began playing with some wallpaper options. This caused me to "Mount" the phone, which shouldn't have caused an issue. Lastly, I created a gmail account so I could enjoy some of the other features (my hotmail account was already set up and working and still is). Once I switched to the LG theme, I wanted to try out some IM capability..... then i noticed... all of my contacts were gone!!!!!!

What happened? I spent like 4 hours imputting addresses, numbers, names and e-mails and websites.... all gone (or unfindable by me currently). I unsynched the g-mail (I assumed it tryed to sync with the g-mail account forcing it's address book over mine) and it still wouldn't bring my contacts back.

Note.... All of the phone numbers i set to "Favorites" are still in the "Favorites" list, but that's it. Everything else is wiped clean. What the HELL happened? Why wouldn't the creators put a "Pop up" window that said "If you are going to sync with a new G-Mail account you will lose ALL OF YOUR CONTACTS!!!!" I would have simply said no.

What happened here? Man i need some sleep now. This suxxz!!!!

XpAcErX

Reaction score
Same thing here with my moms LG Ally. I had Verizon transfer contacts from her old phone and they were there but after she synced her google account they disappeared and now only the google contacts are there. when she inputs a phone number from her old phone contact list it pops up the name and contact, this means they are still on the phone somewhere but they are just not accessible or visible. I'm just going to spend the time and put all her contact into google for her so i can be done with this issue.

bje1982

Reaction score
contacts/menu/display options/ select your gmail/check all the boxes bamm!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I'll try to help but I don't have an Ally so I'm going to give you the way we do it on the Droid. Look for something similar.

While in your contacts press your menu button. Do you have something that comes up like import/export contacts? If yo do great, press that and select import contacts from SD card.

If it doesn't look like that, look around to see if you find anything similar.

One more thing. Your contacts should also be in your gmail account. List the ones you want on your phone as "my favorites" and hopefully it will import them over.

Good luck.

XpAcErX

Reaction score
I logged into gmail on the PC checked my moms gmail contacts and it appeared that all her phone contacts from her old phone were already there the only difference is that they were not in the My Contacts label once I put them there and re-synced the phone contacts the problem was solved. I then took the LG Ally back to Verizon and traded her phone in for a Droid X. To many buggy touch screen issues like driving my Mother nuts i hate playing family tech support.;)

austinball

Reaction score
there's an app for that

well, there will be. me and a couple of friends of mine are making an app that not only stores your contacts in the cloud a la google contacts but also syncs your information across all your contacts' phones. i.e. when you change numbers, they get it automatically and vice versa. no more updating contacts. sign up on our email list at Nimbus - Never update a contact again. and we'll get it to you as soon as we launch. you can also follow us at @getNimbus

thanks,

austin

63babyboy

Reaction score
I am an original droid owner and have been pleased with it for 15 months. Today (4/26/11) I lost all my contacts. I went through the importing of all contacts from vcard files. It was a simple procedure which restored my contacts, but didn't retrieve all of the mailing addresses for some (not all) of my contacts. Any idea how this info may have been lost?