Lost Ability To touch&Hold Search Button And Enter Voice Commands

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Zeppelin420Fan, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Zeppelin420Fan

Zeppelin420Fan New Member

Ever since updating to the Sholes mod, touching and holding the search button (little magnifying glass) at the bottom of my screen does nothing. Before, I could touch and hold it, then say something and it would either A) Google it, or B) Do a command such as "Call Emily" or "Navigate to xxxxxx".

Now when trying to utilize the button, it says, "you haven't enabled qucik compose, please enable it from the handcent settings"

Any insight? Thanks guys.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Go into Manage Applications from the Settings, and select Filter All, then find Voice Search and check out it's settings, like its default settings, see if anything weird is going on lol cause I don't really know...
  3. Zeppelin420Fan

I don't notice any settings in the voice dialer that would change anything??
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Not Voice Dialer, try to find Voice Search.....and yeah there won't be nothing other than buttons for like maybe "Clear cache" and "Clear Defaults" maybe select Clear Defaults and see if that helps.....

Or wait, try this, find Handcent in the Manage Applications list, and select Clear Defaults for it and see if that brings back the Voice search
  5. Zeppelin420Fan

There is no voice search option... Only Voice Dialer.. Hmm! Could that be my problem?
  6. Zeppelin420Fan

Just reflashed, and what I did different was that I chose TO install the 2.1 voice keyboard. I originally chose not to because I didnt like how the voice icon on the touch keyboard was in place of the "," key.

Seems to bring up the voice search option, however I still lose the ability to say, "Call xxxx" and have it call them. Instead, now it brings up just a google search of what I said, rather than carrying out the command.

How do I make it carry out the command? "Navigate to xxxxx" works, but "call xxxx" doesn't.
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I just checked mine, in manage applications, make sure to hit "filter all" and towards the bottom, actually right under "Voice Dialer" was "Voice Search"....it should be there

But I dont know why it won't let you carry out a call through voice commands.....thats weird....????
  8. Zeppelin420Fan

Yeah bro since I reflashed and went with the Voice Keyboard option, I now have Voice Search in the manage apps list. It wasnt there before.

Still doesnt voice dial though!! When I use the Voice Dialer program it works, but it should work with holding down the touch-search button and saying "call xxx"

Anyone else with some insight? How to rig it back up?
  9. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I tried the voice call thing myself, because I never use it....and whenever I did it, it didn't call the person, it just brought up a list like this: (I said "call mom")

Call Mom (and had her phone #)
    "call mom" (I guess google search?)

And that was it but I could click the first one and it would proceed to the dialer....is this what yours is doing?
  10. Zeppelin420Fan

That's what it used to do. Most of the time it would just give me a prompt to dial the number. Now it JUST does a Google search.
  11. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

You can get the comma back by going to Menu-settings-language and keyboard-android keyboard-voice input

As for the voice dialer, I'm not sure. Mine works with a long press on the search button, sholes 2.0.3. But I DON'T have handcent. The only other thing I can think of is that I installed the "voice data" to the SD card, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.
  12. lmapp

lmapp New Member

Sholes did something to my voice search also. Not Google Voice or Voice Dialer, but Voice Search.

It's there if your running Sholes, but gone if you go back to 'stock'. Nowhere to be found in the App Manager.
Search tags for this page
android change default action hold search button
android hold search button default
change function of holding down android
change hold search button android

change search key to voice command

droid hold search button

droid razr call by holding magnifying glass and saying call

holding down search button on android

why did google change the function of holding the search but