Lost 90% battery life in 3hours and phone got hot!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by Mondingo, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mondingo

Mondingo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, so I'm new to the droid Market. Had the Thunderbolt. Too many problems..I love my Droid3. But a few days ago, I was charging it overnight. In the morning, unplugged it. I noticed the phone was hotter than usual. But just thought it was me. Went to work. About 2 hours later, my phone was so hot to handle and the battery life was at 10%. Almost like an app was running constantly and was searching for a signal or something. I had wifi turned off. Anyway, shut phone off and pulled hot ass battery out. let it cool for an hour. Reinstalled battery. Rebooted, and now no problems. My question is could this had hurt anything with the phone? Performance wise and so on? Even the screen was hot. Also since this happened, when the phone is in sleep mode and the screen is black, when I go outside and the light hits the phone, I can see all the little squares in the screen. I think this is from the qhd pentile screen. And is normal. Just never noticed this before. But just parnoid I guess. I'm the kind of person when something goes wrong with an item I worry it does not peform the same or i now want another phone. Just curious if an of you had this problem anyway. Thanks for any info. Other than that love the Droid 3..

2. JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

3. seven9four

seven9four New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no, i think your phone is fine...don't worry!

4. compasst

compasst New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Too common of an experience

Your experience with a hot phone is an all-to-common one. Some app on the phone gets stuck in some mode of heavy CPU utilization, runs down the battery, makes the phone hot.

My experience says that ANY hot electronics could be compromised - after all, if it was OK to run hot, then they would not make fans and cooling fins, would they?

Hard to say if your phone was compromised by the heat. Mine has done this two or three times - it still works OK.

The bigger problem is getting Motorola to address this issue. NEVER happened on my original Droid (or any of the dozen or so other smartphones I have owned).

5. Mondingo

Mondingo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. And Compasst, glad to kmow I was not the only one. Seems to be doing fine. And the little squares I see on the screen in sunlight is normal then? I love this phone. Just ordered the extended battery.

6. nednarb

nednarb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the little squares are normal.

7. Ragnell

Ragnell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First week of my D3 it overheated over night and took about 15min too cool down, I never got good battery life from it after that (wasn't paying attention before since it was only days I had it)

I recently changed mine to a new phone, I always believe that overheating caused my bad battery life, I could be wrong though

8. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    will also heat up form being in 1X signal for long period of time.

9. militant

militant Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is my understanding the phone will shut off if the battery/processor/device reaches critical heat levels.

10. Insidious

Insidious Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If it got too hot it would go into motorolas coold down mode which I'm assuming it didn't so you should be fine. What apps do you have installed on there because there's no way it should just do that

Sent from my Droid Prime using DroidForums

11. Mondingo

Mondingo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks droidfreak. Would the phone go in cool down mode even if it was connected to the charger overnight? In the morning it was really hot. Never really worried aboit it, until 3 hours later and it was still so hot I could feel the heat through the Verizon cell cover I have on it. And I was on 3G signal the whole time. As far as apps, no unkown sources really installed. And at night I have app killer to close evrything. I also check and force close any running apps before charging. In the morning, I did hit up Facebook. But never had a problem. I guess I was just worried. No company is going to make a pnone that if it overheats it stops working for good I guess. Right? Lol

12. spunker88

spunker88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Chances are an app or something had a CPU leak and ran down the battery. The Droid 3 will go into a cooling mode if things get too hot. I imagine this is pretty fool proof and I'm assuming Motorola tested to make sure the device can withstand normal operating temperatures up to when it goes into cooling mode.

Search tags for this page
android phone losing battery life
blackberry battery hot and losing power very quickly
droid 3 got hot doesnt work
droid 3 losing battery
droid incredible 2 battery gets hot and turn off and lose ba
droid3 very hot short battery life
droid4 went into cool down mode for no reason
my phone got so hot

why is my android phone so hot

why is my droid incredible 2 losing battery power fast and n