Lost 90% battery life in 3hours and phone got hot!

Mondingo

Reaction score
ok, so I'm new to the droid Market. Had the Thunderbolt. Too many problems..I love my Droid3. But a few days ago, I was charging it overnight. In the morning, unplugged it. I noticed the phone was hotter than usual. But just thought it was me. Went to work. About 2 hours later, my phone was so hot to handle and the battery life was at 10%. Almost like an app was running constantly and was searching for a signal or something. I had wifi turned off. Anyway, shut phone off and pulled hot ass battery out. let it cool for an hour. Reinstalled battery. Rebooted, and now no problems. My question is could this had hurt anything with the phone? Performance wise and so on? Even the screen was hot. Also since this happened, when the phone is in sleep mode and the screen is black, when I go outside and the light hits the phone, I can see all the little squares in the screen. I think this is from the qhd pentile screen. And is normal. Just never noticed this before. But just parnoid I guess. I'm the kind of person when something goes wrong with an item I worry it does not peform the same or i now want another phone. Just curious if an of you had this problem anyway. Thanks for any info. Other than that love the Droid 3..

compasst

Reaction score
Too common of an experience

Your experience with a hot phone is an all-to-common one. Some app on the phone gets stuck in some mode of heavy CPU utilization, runs down the battery, makes the phone hot.

My experience says that ANY hot electronics could be compromised - after all, if it was OK to run hot, then they would not make fans and cooling fins, would they?

Hard to say if your phone was compromised by the heat. Mine has done this two or three times - it still works OK.

The bigger problem is getting Motorola to address this issue. NEVER happened on my original Droid (or any of the dozen or so other smartphones I have owned).

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. And Compasst, glad to kmow I was not the only one. Seems to be doing fine. And the little squares I see on the screen in sunlight is normal then? I love this phone. Just ordered the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ragnell

Reaction score
First week of my D3 it overheated over night and took about 15min too cool down, I never got good battery life from it after that (wasn't paying attention before since it was only days I had it)

I recently changed mine to a new phone, I always believe that overheating caused my bad battery life, I could be wrong though

militant

Reaction score
It is my understanding the phone will shut off if the battery/processor/device reaches critical heat levels.

Insidious

Reaction score
If it got too hot it would go into motorolas coold down mode which I'm assuming it didn't so you should be fine. What apps do you have installed on there because there's no way it should just do that

Sent from my Droid Prime using DroidForums

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
Thanks droidfreak. Would the phone go in cool down mode even if it was connected to the charger overnight? In the morning it was really hot. Never really worried aboit it, until 3 hours later and it was still so hot I could feel the heat through the Verizon cell cover I have on it. And I was on 3G signal the whole time. As far as apps, no unkown sources really installed. And at night I have app killer to close evrything. I also check and force close any running apps before charging. In the morning, I did hit up Facebook. But never had a problem. I guess I was just worried. No company is going to make a pnone that if it overheats it stops working for good I guess. Right? Lol

spunker88

Reaction score
Chances are an app or something had a CPU leak and ran down the battery. The Droid 3 will go into a cooling mode if things get too hot. I imagine this is pretty fool proof and I'm assuming Motorola tested to make sure the device can withstand normal operating temperatures up to when it goes into cooling mode.

Reaction score
The bigger problem is getting Motorola to address this issue. NEVER happened on my original Droid (or any of the dozen or so other smartphones I have owned).

Happened all the time on my original Droid for many different reasons, including the one cited here. I would imagine you are in a minority for your Droid never getting hot.

Reaction score
And at night I have app killer to close evrything.

This may very well be the problem. You shouldn't be using this. Uninstall it. For the rare times you need to force an app to close, you can use the native application management.

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Since this only happened once, I'm hoping its the last. I just installed the extended battery too. What a difference. But I will say had a few problems with the phone after turning it on and unlocking the phone, it would immediately go back into sleep mode. Every time I would unlock it. This has happened with the original battery as well. I had to turn it on, wait for it to boot up and go into sleep mode before unlocking. After doing this it works fine. Has happened with original batter as well. Has this ever happened to any other? Thanks..