Loss of pictures when updating to the Kit-Kat OTA

islandboy296

Reaction score
I flashed over my brother's RAZR MAXX HD to unroot so that his phone would accept the Kit-Kat OTA. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that none of his pictures were stored on the external SD card or synced with Dropbox and ended up losing all of them... In order to run any data recovery tools I need root access since there is no USB Mass Storage connection option but the Voodoo rootkeeper failed to retain root through the update (as expected). Any strategies to best tackle this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to get his phone to a state where I can follow this guide from XDA: [GUIDE] Internal Memory Data Recovery - Yes We Can! - xda-developers .

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
unless something happened with KK that im not aware of, you should be able to turn on "usb debugging" under developer options in settings to get mass storage back.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Do you know if he synced to Google+. If so, the pics should be recoverable from Google.

OP
I

islandboy296

Reaction score
unless something happened with KK that im not aware of, you should be able to turn on "usb debugging" under developer options in settings to get mass storage back.

I re-enabled USB debugging but unfortunately MTP and PTP remain as the only connection options. I tried running Recuva with both of those connection types but it doesn't recognize them unless there's an associated drive letter.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I re-enabled USB debugging but unfortunately MTP and PTP remain as the only connection options. I tried running Recuva with both of those connection types but it doesn't recognize them unless there's an associated drive letter.

sorry, i thought it might be a simple fix :(