losing unlimited data when upgrading phone?

dgoakill

Reaction score
just went to Verizon store to inquire about pre ordering the s4. they told me no matter what phone I buy, if I take advantage of the upgrade price I have to get a new contract and I would lose my unlimited data. the only way to keep it is to buy the phone at full price. is this true? no more grandfatherEd in?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That is correct. It's been this way for a little over a year now I believe.

OP
dgoakill

dgoakill

Reaction score
:mad: so sick of getting hit with more and more expenses for less and less service. Going to buy full retail and abuse the hell out my unlimited data plan. :icon_ devil:

jacobbones

Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you. I looked at the new plans and figured that my bill would go up around $18 a month if I upgraded. So doing the math that $18 a month plus the subsidized phone price will equal out to the full retail cost of the phone over 2 years.

So I am just buying it full price on a cresit card with no balance and pay off what I can on it til its gone. Might as well keep unlimited if will cost the same in the long run

jamjr74

Reaction score
That's why I just switched to T-Mobile!!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

OP
dgoakill

dgoakill

Reaction score
The frustrating thing is that I need a new phone. My bionic is pretty much useless since the last round of updates. LTE goes in and out daily in Philadelphia, which has always had good coverage. I'm assuming it's my phone as this only started happening since the updates. Along with other performance issues and glitches. So I have to replace it. But no matter what I do, I'm getting screwed and going to have to pay out the a$$.

Even if I suck it up and change my plan losing unlimited data, I'll be hit with a $30 increase per month since the new plans suck compared to what I have now. I don't mind paying for the phone at $200-$300, but paying that subsidized price and then being charged more per month, for less services, is infuriating.

So I can pay $920 MORE over the next two years to get a new phone and less data. Or, pay $650 (last price I saw for retail S4) and keep the data I have. All in addition to what I'm currently paying. :soapbox:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
That's what I just did, full price for my new note 2! Keep my data and Verizon has installment plans to make it a bit easier.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

wcjeep

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my S3. It was cheaper to buy the phone outright than pay the for the data I consume.

Beer

Reaction score
It's my understanding that if you carry insurance and something happens to your phone you have to pay the deductible and get a new phone but it is not an upgrade and your unlimited will stay intact. (sorry, run on sentence, it's early)

wcjeep

Reaction score
It's my understanding that if you carry insurance and something happens to your phone you have to pay the deductible and get a new phone but it is not an upgrade and your unlimited will stay intact. (sorry, run on sentence, it's early)

True. I dropped my S3 which cracked the screen. Insurance replacement did not affect Unlimited data.

DogPaw

Reaction score
WOW, Ihave never seen such disregard for customer loyalty in a fortune 500 company.Just wait until subscribers start to jump ship next year and they have a couple of down quarters. You will start getting letters saying we want you back and Verizon will be forced to slash program pricing. The cell-phone subscriber market is starting to mature and without customer loyalty Verizon is going tobe in for a tough ride. They are not the first to go down this road just ask Netflix. By then it will be two late as many customers will be locked intoplans with other carriers.

I have been a Verizon customer for 17 years. In the past 4 years they have taken away my so called "VIP" status, free new phone connection and now my original data program. Looks like time to start shopping and working on an exit strategy for the 4 lines I have with Verizon. Thanks guys it has been fun.....................