Losing music off SD-EXT card

snstr1

Reaction score
Ive spent hours putting music on my external SDcard making sure it has the right album/artist info etc. and I keep losing the music. Randomly i'll go to play an album and it will be gone. Then I will look in my LOST.DIR and there will be a crap load of files in there.

For the hell of it I decided to add .mp3 to the end of a file and sure enough they were music files I was missing. I have heard that the class of the sdcard might matter.

Anyone have any ideas, this has happened on more than one memory card.

adam_d_j

Reaction score
This same thing happens when you put songs that are protected on your SD card. Are the files coming from a mac or PC? If PC, right click on the song and go to properties. I think there is a security tab there with a field that says protected with either a yes or a no.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
snstr1

snstr1

Reaction score
This same thing happens when you put songs that are protected on your SD card. Are the files coming from a mac or PC? If PC, right click on the song and go to properties. I think there is a security tab there with a field that says protected with either a yes or a no.

I'll take a look at that, but most of the music is off of file sharing sites so I doubt if its protected.

deepseachris

Reaction score
Sd card issue

Now that you mention it. I have noticed prior to me getting a new SD card. I had music disappearing as well. I didn't pay much attention to it because the pics were more noticeable to me. I personally think that its the SD card. I had a class 2, 8Gb before and now have a class 10. I have been beating it to death with lots of pics. I only have a few songs on my card. This is something you may wanna try. Pull your SD card and take a look to see what tiny number in a small circle it has. If it is smaller than 6 you may want to give the new card a try. I can't say for sure if it is a good fix or not because I am still testing mine. I can tell you as far as from the taking pics stand point that the camera recovery time between pics is definitely faster. You can get a new card from best buy like I did if you want it right now like I did. That's not something I want to wait for. If you don't mind waiting you can get a class 10 in the 8Gb size probably in the 20$ range from new egg. Good luck.

adam_d_j

Reaction score
I never realized there were different classes for SD cards until this thread, so I took mine out and it looks like I have a class 2. Its the one that came with my OG a couple years ago. I've had it in my DROID X and now my DROID 3. I have a very extensive music library and I can tell you at any given time what albums I have on my phone. Im talking 10+gigs at any given time. That being said, I've never had an issue with a legitimate, unprotected file disapearing. This sounds like a filetype issue to me. Either it is protected or the filetype is not compatible with android. Keep in mind that windows 7 will download licenses for protected music so you can listen to downloaded music on your computer, but that license does not transfer to other devices. I would say this has more to do with the music file than your phone.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you say the files are disappearing, do you mean that your music app will no long find them? Or do you mean you opened the File Manager app and when go look at sdcard-ext and open the file into which you placed the music, it is no longer in that file?

OP
snstr1

snstr1

Reaction score
When you say the files are disappearing, do you mean that your music app will no long find them? Or do you mean you opened the File Manager app and when go look at sdcard-ext and open the file into which you placed the music, it is no longer in that file?

Correct the files are physically gone and have been moved to numbered files in the LOST.DIR ie. 125489 with no extension. I put in my original 8gig card that is a class 2 and ran it for a day and a half with no disappering files. This morning I put in my 16gig that is a class 6 and Im going to run it and see if they start disappering again. I will post an update on Monday.

If they start disappering again Im going to guess I got a bad stick.

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
interesting cause that is what is happening to me..i have a 32g class 10 bought from best buy....

OP
snstr1

snstr1

Reaction score
Ok after reformatting my 16gig class 6 on a windows computer and then copying all my music to it so far I have lost no data. Dont know what the issue was with this stick. I will post if it starts happening again, but for now Im good to go.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Had the same problem with my 32gb card, posted about it back when the phone was released.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/160322-sd-card-corruption.html

I never found a solution and tried just about everything. Something is wrong with the hardware in these phones that's causing it.

It may have something to do with higher speed cards.

Could be a bug. Y'all should check the Motorola forums and see if anyone else has these issues. If not I'd make a thread to get Moto to notice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

i4mt3hwin

Reaction score
I formatted all mine with the internal formatter. My 8GB Droid 1 stock card works, anything I've found faster then a speed 4 causes problems for me. There doesn't seem to be a pattern for it either. I've tracked the removal of folders using Windows explorer at the end of every night, sometimes two or three folders would be gone, sometimes none. But eventually I'll end up losing all the music folders on the card. It doesn't seem to effect anything else but music folders and it can effect anything from a folder full of albums to a folder with a single song. But songs stored on the root of the drive aren't effected, at least I've never encountered them being removed.

I ended up contacting Verizon with the problem who told me they couldn't do anything besides send me a new phone, they were actually nice enough to look at the data I logged, which doesn't really matter because they are just low level employees but I brought it just in case they didn't want to give me a new phone. Well the new phone was actually a refurbished one with the same problem. I eventually just gave up and stuck to the 8GB card. No one else seemed to be having the issues so I just assumed it was me doing something wrong.

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
yes i had formatted mine when i got it........i went thru and cleaned it out and so far so good....

OP
snstr1

snstr1

Reaction score
I have found that using the phone as a USB drive mounted seems to be the problem. I use a regular usb card reader and the micro adapter. I then transfer music and video to the card that way then reinsert it into the phone, reboot, then plug in the usb cable once and unplug to force the rescan of the card and I have lost no music in over a week now.

I format the card on the window system in FAT