Losing email accounts

droiduser1975

Reaction score
Losing exchange and/or gmail account

I keep losing my exchange & gmail account on my droid. After losing the accounts for the 4th time in about 5 weeks, I spent an hour on tech support w/ verizon who could not help me. They referred me to Motorola support - spent 2 hours on support w/ them. Taking out battery, few other things, then finally a factory reset. Had to reenter all my email info AGAIN & worked. One week later.... lost both accounts again.. just a black screen. Took the phone to Verizon & they didn't know what was wrong, so they replaced the phone w/ no hassles. Today, 5 days later... lost the exchange account again on the NEW phone. This is obviously a HUGE issue they need to work out. Thinking of switching to an iphone.

Flo

Reaction score
Got email back

Verizon support was not a help. First line support did not even know this was an issue. The forum sent me in the correct direction. Verizon did call back the next day and admitted it was a "known" issue, and directed me to DataViz to download their app (which is not free) and is also not available with V 2.0.1 of the Android OS. I went back to Verizon who then said it was a Google OS problem and Verizon engineers would not support it.They actually told me to call Google. WTF. Lucky for me, I got in touch with an awesome support guy at Motorola who emailed me documentation that fixed the problem for now.

Here is my own take. Smartphones are exactly like laptops except less resources but more fun and convenient. Which is why they may be prone to crash, especially with email. Here is my advice. Clear your browser cache and history and clear your email inbox and trash on your phone. Also, get the free Advanced App Killer and use it. Remember, everything you do on the phone is local. Also, for your own protection, secure the thing. And be very choosy about saving passwords. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pl4tinum

Reaction score
"I got in touch with an awesome support guy at Motorola who emailed me documentation that fixed the problem for now."

Please do share your info!

There are many of us still experiencing this every day.

I cannot believe this hasn't been fixed by Google yet -- I'm losing faith in them, something I never thought possible.

95blklsc

Reaction score
I had this same issue once a few weeks ago. At least I'm not the only one...

ragnoir

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this? I was having this same problem so I installed Touchdown and today the same thing happened again.

edkocher

Reaction score
Seems OK now

I have not had this happen to me since I installed touchdown. Have you deleted all your email accounts from the native email application? If you had remnants of your Exchange email account in the native software, I could see it still happening. Just a SWAG though.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
It looks like the problem is with the EAS service - if touchdown is configured to use the EAS service the issue will still occur. I had the same issue. I configured TD this morning to use Activesync only and now the EAS service is no longer required (or running) on my Droid. So far it's been 5 hours with no problems - Woo Hoo.

Just an observation - when the PRE was first released there was an issue with Exchange sync, which was fixed in a few days. Apple and Palm do not have optional email apps because this should be working as part of the core functionality. This issue with email has made me regret switching to what is otherwise a great device, and no relief in sight. It does not even seem like anyone is addressing this at google from what I can tell.

Everyone should star the hell out of this issue:
Issue 4866 - android - Corporate exchange email account keeps getting removed / deleted approximately daily - Project Hosting on Google Code

edkocher

Reaction score
Touchdown

I'm not trying to sell Touchdown, but I really like it. Best part is for those of you the own the Droid yourself (not owned by your corporation), with Touchdown installed you can switch to the $30 per month data plan and still get full Exchange calendaring functionality.

Only drawback I have with Touchdown is that is sometimes freezes, causing you to wait for the AOS to issue a Force Close dialogue. Otherwise Touchdown not only solved my problems, but it's much more robust that the native email app on the AOS. Touchdown supports every Exchange function except for Notes (and, I understand the Exchange does not support Notes on any mobile device).

ragnoir

Reaction score
I just checked and Touchdown is configured to only use Activesync.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I'm not trying to sell Touchdown, but I really like it. Best part is for those of you the own the Droid yourself (not owned by your corporation), with Touchdown installed you can switch to the $30 per month data plan and still get full Exchange calendaring functionality.

Only drawback I have with Touchdown is that is sometimes freezes, causing you to wait for the AOS to issue a Force Close dialogue. Otherwise Touchdown not only solved my problems, but it's much more robust that the native email app on the AOS. Touchdown supports every Exchange function except for Notes (and, I understand the Exchange does not support Notes on any mobile device).

Exchange works with the 30.00 plan just fine... the only difference between the plans is one is for business and one for personal accounts... they function the same and there are no restrictions on either plan.

atr1942

Reaction score
i just lost all of my email accounts and what's worse i do NOT know the gmail password that was set up when i purchased the droid! i have been allover the gmail site and can't seem to get the password reset. never used gmail at all. what a mess...

cervach

Reaction score

rhbsvcmo

Reaction score
lost email settings

any fix for this yet. love the phone but don't have the time to keep reseting email.