Looks like Droid X may be rooted but has encrypted bootloader...

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question. I understand the reasons for rooting, I can't wait for it to happen. I currently have an iPhone and have always jailbroken them. One question, the custom ROMs that are created by the community, are you able to add the stuff they put in the custom ROMs manually via custom apps?
For the most part, once the phone gets rooted, you can apply MOST things that roms do. Some ROMs are built from source and have other features and tweaks built-in that may not be very easy to apply to the stock OS. We'll see what the devs do to make the best out of the situation.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Question. I understand the reasons for rooting, I can't wait for it to happen. I currently have an iPhone and have always jailbroken them. One question, the custom ROMs that are created by the community, are you able to add the stuff they put in the custom ROMs manually via custom apps?
For the most part, once the phone gets rooted, you can apply MOST things that roms do. Some ROMs are built from source and have other features and tweaks built-in that may not be very easy to apply to the stock OS. We'll see what the devs do to make the best out of the situation.

thanks. I've had an iPhone since the 2G was released and will be new to Android on the 15th. But its in my nature to get the most out of my tech. I'm still searching for good sources of info on it all. Found these forums and they are definitely bookmarked.

DaveJustDave

Reaction score
A few thoughts on why the DX is shipping with an encrypted bootloader..

1. VZW is intent on making $20 per user for tethering. This is a pretty big chunk for them to lose if you can root your phone and tether all that ipad/laptop traffic through it without them knowing. No idea what will happen to EasyTether in the upcoming months. I would not be surprised if it gets pulled or updated so that it wouldn't work on some devices.

2. I've said it before and i'll say it again. With all the "custom" roms floating about (everyone and their mom seems to have their own special flavor), its only a matter of time before someone distributes something malicious. I'm keying sensitive information - passwords, logins to my online banking and credit cards, etc into this device - i had better be sure my custom rom isn't a big facade for some keylogger.

That said, this revelation has put me on the fence with the Droid X. Tethering is a huge part of what I used my Droid for..

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen it yet, something is going on. Here are birdman's latest Tweets and one post on AndroidForums:

Tweet: you know when youve got really good news but you cant say anything? that sucks...alot..

Tweet: What ive been told is DX stuff...but it wont be available to us for a little bit.

Tweet: If you Try all you can, and cant do anything, you must uSe A LAST RESORT

Post from birdman: You know i am a member here
smile.png

More information will be available as soon as i can release it
smile.png

All ill say is, think bigger than root :p

Post from birdman: 2 Reasons.

He doesn't want to say anything because Motorola could patch what he may found, and that won't be good

Whatever he may of learned, discovered, or done may not be complete or 100% true yet... so patience is key here
smile.png

1) yes
2) kinda

Tweet: @wicked_beav possible unlock

Post from birdman
: hehe nothing as drastic as opening your phone

Last edited: