Looks like Droid X may be rooted but has encrypted bootloader...

OP
just4747

just4747

Reaction score
Ugh, new Tweet:

If you want a rootable phone, wait 4 months or so on your droid x.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
I desperately need a new phone, guess I'll pay the extra $ to have a one-year contract with the Droid X and that way I'll have more patience waiting for exactly what I want next summer/fall.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Moto will spend a bunch of time/money developing the encrypted bootloader and then release only a couple phones with it. So unless you plan on moving to HTC, there is no point in waiting just because the X isn't rooted right away. The next phone will probably be just as locked down (if not more).

sic0048

Reaction score
Someone needs to change the title of this thread too. The Droid X has not been rooted, yet the title seems to indicate that it may have already been rooted.

If the intent is to say the Droid X may eventually be rooted, then it needs to be edited to reflect this.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
I highly doubt Moto will spend a bunch of time/money developing the encrypted bootloader and then release only a couple phones with it. So unless you plan on moving to HTC, there is no point in waiting just because the X isn't rooted right away. The next phone will probably be just as locked down (if not more).

I like HTC, I'd have an Incredible if it had a better GPU. Not trying to crap on Motorola, but I definitely don't see a long list of reasons to be loyal to them :)

dangerous

Reaction score
Someone needs to change the title of this thread too. The Droid X has not been rooted, yet the title seems to indicate that it may have already been rooted.

If the intent is to say the Droid X may eventually be rooted, then it needs to be edited to reflect this.

ya.. I kind of agree. I came to this thread because i thought it had been rooted..

QuickSilver98

Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking. Every Moto phone that is released from now on may have an encrypted bootloader.

Sandso9

Reaction score
Does the droid x have to be rooted port over the ui to the droid?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm passing on the X but if I was considering it I this would kill it for me.

Gaining root access with these Android devices is a HUGE part of the fun of owning them.

Wait and see until it gets released to the masses and some others get their hands on trying to crack it before deciding this as fact.

With that said there's a strong possibility this is true though. The Backflip by Moto comes to mind.

I totally agree, I hope the 2Ghz vaporware isn't locked either.

That said though, while everyone compares it to the milestone, I'll go out on a limb and say that the US hacker community hasn't yet had to deal with this right? So let's see how long it might take to root, and unlock it if need be.

Since I'm not up for an upgrade, it's moot to me anyways, but I'd like to see what happens.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bet every Android phone that Moto makes from now on will be locked down. The Droid was the exception to the rule apparently.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if every new Android phone from every major manufacturer doesn't have a locked bootloader by the end of this year.

Edit: N.B. I'm talking every post-Galaxy S variant, since they're already in production and limited circulation.

paul89

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if every new Android phone from every major manufacturer doesn't have a locked bootloader by the end of this year.

Edit: N.B. I'm talking every post-Galaxy S variant, since they're already in production and limited circulation.
Ya and the only ones that will be unlocked will be dev phones from google!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Question. I understand the reasons for rooting, I can't wait for it to happen. I currently have an iPhone and have always jailbroken them. One question, the custom ROMs that are created by the community, are you able to add the stuff they put in the custom ROMs manually via custom apps?

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I bet every Android phone that Moto makes from now on will be locked down. The Droid was the exception to the rule apparently.

This may be something we all may have to accept, for a while or even longer.