Looks like Droid X may be rooted but has encrypted bootloader...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by just4747, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    It just doesn't work like that. VZW doesn't WANT us rooted/using custom software. They want every DroidX to be the same. Motorola doesn't have a whole lot of choice if they want VZW to offer the device. It probably doesn't matter much to M, they don't have to support it.

2. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If it was all Verizon's doing then why did they lock down the Milestone and the Backflip? Moto doesn't want anyone messing with their phones either. I think the Droid made them realize it. :(

3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I understand that point of view, but this is still my phone. I'm not renting or leasing it from them. Actually, in this case I'm not even getting a discounted rate for extending my contract.

4. regkilla

regkilla Member

Ratings:
    +2
    hopefully the Droid X becomes fully rootable

5. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Yeah I'm waiting for the "monster" : ) and I'm content with the Moto Droid right now. When I have to have something then I know it's time to move on to a new device and I haven't had that urge yet.

Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the Droid X as a great device but it's not enough to get me to blow an upgrade on.

6. GrillMouster

GrillMouster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get the whole "this is my device; I paid for it; I should be able to do whatever I want with it" viewpoint. I agree with it, as long as those of us rooting (myself included) acknowledge that we're voiding the warranty and we take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong because of rooting.

I think they don't want people rooting the phones, screwing them up, flashing them back to stock, then trying to get them replaced under warranty or insurance. Even if Moto doesn't have to deal with insurance claims, it still affect them when reports show that they have a high number of claims on their devices. It makes it look like they're releasing crappy, defective products and it could steer potential customers and carriers away from their future products.

As for whether I'll get the X, I might get one for wife, but I'm waiting for the beasts coming out later this year or early next year. I root primarily for overclocking. If I had a 2Ghz beast I wouldn't need to overclock. I don't need to theme; I'm content with the ability to choose my wallpaper and I already have the ability to use custom icons and launchers without rooting.

#30 GrillMouster, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  7. tazzpatriot

tazzpatriot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i have a choice of either the incredible or the x , i only have to pay a 100 for what ever one i want ,im kinda torn between them both
    i have til monday to make up my mind so ...

beside the incredible being back ordered til august , and the fact the x may never be rooted , is there any big reasons to choose one over the other ?

i dont know to much of the tech stuff thats y i ask , i know its a personal choice ,i just wanted to ask people smarter then me
    sorry if this sounds stupid

8. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen/used an Incredible and it is fast. The X is faster. I don't see any reason to overclock an X. This is part of the reason I am not scared to get an X. I won't need to overclock it, it is getting great benchmarks, I don't need to theme it, the stock-ish theme with red highlights is fairly appealing to me, I don't use wifi tether, I use EasyTether, which doesn't require root, umm what else.. thats about it. Worst thing is waiting for updates to come out officially but thats not a big deal, especially with 2.2 promised in a month or two!
    This might help you out: Motorola DROID X vs. HTC Droid Incredible (Phone Arena Reviews)

9. tazzpatriot

tazzpatriot Member

Ratings:
    +0

well looks like droid x for me :p thanx for the help

10. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, glad it helped :handshake:

11. just4747

just4747 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa whoa, calm yourself, no harm being done.

12. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The team that unlocked and bypassed the inc and evo is one that comes to mind.....

unrevoked :)

There are many others as well.... but you have to look to people that have actually done it in order to find someone who can. :)