Lookout or Wave Secure ??

R

RETG

If the GPS is on when the phone is stolen or lost, wave secure uses GPS to find the phone. If not on, it uses triangulation to find the phone. If you root the phone and can obtain user permissions via the network, you can turn on GPS after the phone is lost or stolen.

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
OK, I got lookout...

Wave Secure wanted $20 a year,,,,,

Lookout is still free but they are offering a new updated version.didn't seem like the updated had anything i wanted or needed.. so Thanks for the info from everyone.........

Oh yeah I tested lookout and it found my phone with in 4 meters.....dancedroid

davidwilp

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but I figured why start a new one. I am now considering which of the 2 to get. Paying for either of them doesn't bother me so it isn't a factor in the decision. I was wondering if there are any updated opinions?

I am thinking, the fact that one is made by McAfee which is a leader in virus and malware protection, Wavesecure might be a better quality product as far as finding and stopping any viruses or malware. Any thoughts?

Please don't respond with "not needed" or anything similar. I am aware of those opinions.

Thanks

OP
Abby Normal

Abby Normal

Reaction score
I had a software crash and got an insurance replacement phone.

On that one I have changed to mobile recovery and am happy with that.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had both, but I have since deleted Lookout. For one thing, it scans the app after the install. I don't know of any viruses Linux has so I don't know what it was scanning for.

Another thing would be my weekly email update I'd see...

August 16
-Lookout handled 1 security event.
-Virus scan completed: Files scanned: 198. Infected files found: 0. Files quarantined: 0.

Just what was that security event? It won't tell me.

If I am not mistaken, the scan itself is considered a security event. So is a definitions update.

Droid X Doug

Reaction score
I actually use both, I like the fact that Lookout has the Virus Scan and Wave Secure it has the ability to wipe or lock your phone remotely
Latest version of Lookout supposedly has the same function (I don't have personal experience as I haven't had the need to remotely wipe/lock my RAZR yet).

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used Lookout and it never set off any alarms, even though I did all sorts of hacking to my phone. It also seemed to make my phone run slower. I uninstalled and haven't run an antivirus since and haven't seen the need to. The only thing I think they have use for is the ability to wipe a phone and or help locate it if its stolen.

Boot Manager

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
BitDefender on my end. Try it out and see what you think

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Graymayre

Reaction score
Lookout pretty much focuses on apps and their script. But that's all I need it to do anyway.
I wouldn't want it to pop up everytime I need root access.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

PVS

Reaction score
For a lighter alternative take a look at PhoneLeash (www.tinyurl.com/phoneleashfree) There is no web-based server watching you. GPS locating, phone ring etc is done only on request by you via SMS, and responses go to your email account. And when the phone is lost/misplaced you get SMS' and call notifications forwarded to your email.