Lookout/Mobile Security Apps?

setyourgoals

Reaction score
Who actually uses these on their phones?

And whats the point of them anyway? The only use I see out of programs like these, is to help kill your battery...

Someone enlighten me, please.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need to be enlightened. You're absolutely right.

dbst

Reaction score
I use Lookout with the anti-virus and backup turned off

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your Droid is lost it's suppose to be helpful in finding the location of it. I would guess that you would need GPS on for this to work correctly.

sonicfreak360

Reaction score
I use Lookout with the anti-virus and backup turned off
You can safely uninstall it then, there really aren't much viruses for android anyways, I'd you get infected with a viruses, I will eat 10 pairs of shorts!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dbst

Reaction score
If your Droid is lost it's suppose to be helpful in finding the location of it. I would guess that you would need GPS on for this to work correctly.

That's why I use it, I always have GPS on

XSparksX

Reaction score
If you use your Droid in a business situation (where you receive multiple emails per day) lookout is useful. Also if you are very bored and test out multiple random apps per day it is also useful. If you are the everyday user it does not have a purpose (besides turning on the anti virus after downloading a new app and locating a lost phone.)

Better, faster, stronger!

sonicfreak360

Reaction score
If you use your Droid in a business situation (where you receive multiple emails per day) lookout is useful. Also if you are very bored and test out multiple random apps per day it is also useful. If you are the everyday user it does not have a purpose (besides turning on the anti virus after downloading a new app and locating a lost phone.)

Better, faster, stronger!
Emails may contain viruses, but whats the chance its gunna be a linux virus? Because chances are its just gunna be an email with a virus for PC, it won't even be able to do anything on your phone. If you test out multiple apps, theres a SUPER SLIM chance you will ever get a virus from the market. Getting them from the internet is a whole 'nother story though!

OP
S

setyourgoals

Reaction score
You know, the funny part about this whole thing is that despite the complete and utter uselessness of such apps, lookout specifically, they are one of the most downloaded from the market place.

It just goes to show you how many really really REALLY "SMART" people haven't the slightest clue. People just assume that it will keep their precious phones safe from evil viruses THAT DON'T EXIST, and download/install them anyway. IN TURN, draining more battery which leads to people complaining about how their droid sucks cause of their short battery life.

Sorry for the rant, but let's not forget about Advanced Task Killer now...

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
You know, the funny part about this whole thing is that despite the complete and utter uselessness of such apps, lookout specifically, they are one of the most downloaded from the market place.

It just goes to show you how many really really REALLY "SMART" people haven't the slightest clue. People just assume that it will keep their precious phones safe from evil viruses THAT DON'T EXIST, and download/install them anyway. IN TURN, draining more battery which leads to people complaining about how their droid sucks cause of their short battery life.

Its alot more useful than you guys are putting out/on, this program yes it does "protect you from virus's" but what its main purpose in my mind is to locate your phone, not many apps can you login to a website that will show you where your phone is and than you can make the phone scream which makes a super loud annoying noise until you find the location of your phone and turn it off via the website or a battery pull, even screams when the phone is set to silent, so when "calling your cell when you lose it" doesnt work because its on silent this feature/program fixes that.

people really should try apps and mess around with them and experience the true potential before bashing them and the users constantly

Im sure this guy was one of the stupid people you talk about when he found his stolen car too right?

Lookout helped recover stolen car within 10 minutes | Droid free apps and news

sorry for the rant and all HAHA, not really people should not mock an app until they experience the full effect.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I used Lookout, the GPS would come on randomly, and I felt like I was being watched. Don't get me wrong, I don't do anything important enough to watch, but the erie (?) feeling was enough to get rid of it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
For just finding your phone, remote locking, and remote wiping, Prey may be better than Lookout (since Lookout charges extra for remote wipe, and I think remote lock too). However, there ARE android viruses and spyware in the wild. They have since been removed, but there were spyware apps that made it to the market, since it is not regulated like the iTunes store, it is very possible to pick up something. The people behind lookout have identified a number of malware apps (most not on the market, but on alternate markets and most coming out of China), but it takes no battery or CPU and hardly any memory when idle and just runs a scan that you can schedule, and a scan when you install something new, so the added safety is worth it.

Alan

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use wavesecure for the possible need of finding a lost or stolen device.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
An app called "where's my droid" is very useful for lost droids (in the car or stolen). Has a text option to make it ring when texted a certain pharse and also has an option to text the phone with a certain pharse and it will send gps cordnates with a link to google maps to the phone you texted yours from. Finally has a call feature to make ring even if its on silent if you call it from a specified number. Hope this can help