Looking to upgrade rooted DROID X -- 2.3.3 -- 4.5.573.MB810.Verizon.en.US

foxmuldr

Reaction score
I've tried googling for about three hours now. I've downloaded various ROMs, tried to install. Nothing has worked as advertised, and there are many dead links on things that seem promising.

I have a simple request:
Where can I go to find an upgrade path for my droid x to something modern / current in July 2013?

TIA!

PS - I don't mind if I have to go back to a stock ROM, or through two or three intermediate steps. I just need to know what to do.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I can help you out in just a minute gauranteed. One question, are you still interested in putting a ROM on the phone? If so i recommend system version .605. It was the 2nd to last update and has the most support. The newest and last update was .621 but the problem is once on .621 you can never go back to older versions and not all ROMs are compatible with .621.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
For .605 start here: Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

Download the one that says 4.5.605 Gingerbread. Instructions are in the thread I linked, but basically you are going to download that file, burn it to a disk, boot your computer from that disk and plug in your phone. All other commands should be right on the screen for you. After it is completed you will need to wipe data in stock recovery (but if i remember correctly it tells you that right in the program.) After you are booted back up you can use the same program to root again. Do NOT use the file that says Milestone X 4.5.604 Gingerbread because that will get you stuck on .621.

If you choose .621 start here: [How To] Root 4.5.621 with magic md5 (does not require Milestone SBF) Same concept as above.

Report back with questions or just to let us know how it worked out.

OP
F

foxmuldr

Reaction score

I had been to this website, but could not get it to work. I had not tried .605, but the earlier ones.

Download the one that says 4.5.605 Gingerbread. Instructions are in the thread I linked, but basically you are going to download that file, burn it to a disk, boot your computer from that disk and plug in your phone. All other commands should be right on the screen for you. After it is completed you will need to wipe data in stock recovery (but if i remember correctly it tells you that right in the program.) After you are booted back up you can use the same program to root again.

Report back with questions or just to let us know how it worked out.

It worked perfectly. The new install is nice too. It took me a while to re-install the apps I had before, but it's running and actually seems to be better on batteries than 4.5.573. Re-rooting was easy. Everything was easy. Thank you, GoCliffGo05. :) You made upgrading painless.

Update: There is one app i can't find that I liked. It was an app remover with a feature "detach from market". I used it to detach things I don't want upgraded, like Blockbuster, etc. I think it was called "App Remover" but I can't find it. Anyone know what it is?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Not sure about that app but one thing you will want to do is use a root explorer or titanium backup to freeze the updater.apk. that's the one that will be bugging you to update to .621.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
F

foxmuldr

Reaction score
Not sure about that app but one thing you will want to do is use a root explorer or titanium backup to freeze the updater.apk. that's the one that will be bugging you to update to .621.

I have Titanium Backup and it has "detatch from market" feature I found. Is the file you mention the "Updater 2.3.3" in the Backup / Restore list? Or is there a updater.apk file I need to do this on?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Bear with me, trying to remember exactly what it's called on the X. It will be a red system app and will just say somthing like updater.apk or upgrader.apk and it might even bee the updater 2.3.3.apk you mentioned. Click the backup/restore tab and just scroll through there and see.

OP
F

foxmuldr

Reaction score
Bear with me, trying to remember exactly what it's called on the X. It will be a red system app and will just say somthing like updater.apk or upgrader.apk and it might even bee the updater 2.3.3.apk you mentioned. Click the backup/restore tab and just scroll through there and see.

I found another thread here and it is called BlurUpdater.apk in the /system/app/ folder. I also found comments that it was called "Updater 2.3.3" in Titanium Backup, and it could be "freeze"'d there. Also they said "Upgrader 2.x" could also be "freeze"'d.

I greatly appreciate your help, GoCliffGo05. Thank you for your help and support.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You're welcome. Glad you got it straightened out.