Looking to re-install Youtube App.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dr01d, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

Hello,

I'm very new to all this but having a blast.

I recently followed Matth3w's guide to rooting and installed Adamz's Smoked Glass.

During the installation process of his rom you are given the choice to uninstall some of the default apps. One of which is the Youtube app. Now I'm pretty sure I did NOT deliberately uninstall this app but it's definately gone now. Looking through his thread it appears that 3 other people have run into this. Maybe we all accidentally deleted it, I don't know. It's possible.

I'd like to get it back regardless. :)

I have found that it's in a folder named backup on my SDcard but I can't figure out how to get it working again. I've copied it to the system/app folder and tried to install it with Root Explorer but it says "Install Failed". Also tried changing the permisions on the file but no idea what I'm doing there. Just copied the settings the other apps have.

I also can't play Youtube videos in an browser I have. This might be normal though, idk, I never tried before now.

Can anyone help me get my Youtube app back?

If I have to reflash the rom I will but it's a last resort for me. I just got everything set up the way I want.

Beautiful looking rom though!

Thanks for the help! :)
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Can you just open it, from your card, with Astro and use the installer?
  3. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

What he said..if not you can push it through ADB...and why not reflash? It doesn't wipe any of your data or mess up your home screens.
  4. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

Ok, thank you guys. Ill go ahead and just re-flash I think.

I know how ignorant I sound not knowing simple stuff, like how re-flashing won't erase my settings and apps etc. I am a bit embarrassed about it, but I'm learning a ton!

As for Astro, I don't have it installed. I used Estrong's before I rooted and been using Root Explorer since. I did try to install the .apk by clicking the file in Root Explorer and slecting "Install" I figured that was a similar method? Maybe not though.

As for pushing with ADB, I don't know what that means but I'll do some searches and see if I can figure it out.

Thank you for the help.
  5. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

OK, quick note here before I'm off to work.

I did download Astro and use the app manager to try to install the app again. I got the same error I got with Root Explorer. It attempts to install then says "Application not installed".
  6. titans

Hey, no problem, when I first rooted I'd be posting a thread or two per day =P Nothing to be embarrassed about, can't know everything about rooting at the start. Better than having a bricked phone =)

The install feature in Root Explorer should work the same as in Astro. I like to keep both because in my opinion, Astro has a much nice interface for sd card browsing, and plus, it has a backup feature.

As for ADB, since you don't have experience in it yet, I'd reccommend trying a Root Explorer and or Astro install of the app first. If that doesn't work do a reflash, if that doesn't work, follow these http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/30464-how-adb-why-i-love-adb-commands-3-a.html steps. Good luck!
  7. titans

Hmm..thats odd..but anyway try reflashing the ROM. Just make sure not to choose any data wiping options, and your phone will look the exact same as it did before the reflashing. If not, then use ADB.
  8. Dr01d

Dr01d New Member

Thanks very much for the /assist Titans. Reflashing the rom restored the Youtube app and all is well. :)
Search tags for this page
android youtube app install
how to install youtube android
how to install youtube app again

how to install youtube on android

how to reinstall youtube on android

instal youtube android

reinstall android youtube

reinstall youtube android

reinstall youtube app android

reinstall youtube app on android
trying to install you tube on android