Looking to get a faster SD card - options/opinions?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by krakhedd, Sep 22, 2010.

1. krakhedd

krakhedd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid 1, Sapphire w/ swap enabled.

Wondering what the best MicroSD out there to upgrade to is? I don't need a lot of space but I want it to be fast. 16GB is fine. Looking for under $100.

Search Google & various forums on here for about an hour, to no avail (I swear I'm cursed w/ not being able to ever find an answer via any Internet search).

Class 6 Wiki says it's only 6MB/s so I'm thinking there's something MUCH faster out there that I can use? I can't imagine even the MicroSD in there now could be that slow?

#1 krakhedd, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcrome04

jcrome04 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SD cards aren't "faster"

You can get a "larger" one with more capacity...

D1 comes with 16Gb. I'd upgrade to 32Gb.

Check Amazon for 32Gb micro SD

3. GrillMouster

GrillMouster Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A card will only operate as as fast at the device that's using it and vice versa.

Try to find out what the read/write speed is of the device itself. A card faster than the device's speed would yield no performance boost.

I believe there are class 8 micro sd cards available, but they may be hard to find. I imagine that most portable devices that use micro-sd have read/write speeds slower than what a class 8 card is capable of performing. However, if you take the card out of the phone and use a fast card reader to transfer GBs of data (movies, music, etc.) from your computer to the card, then the faster card may be worthwhile to you.

#3 GrillMouster, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. k00ey

k00ey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Grill is correct. There ARE speeds on cards which are defined by their "class" BUT with the droid, you probably wont notice much of a real difference.

5. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I believe the Droid's read/write speed is comparable to a class 2 SD card any higher class will yeild the same results

6. krakhedd

krakhedd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's not the answer I'm looking for, but it addresses my question nonetheless....thanks everyone!!!

7. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Already pointed out but there are different speeds of SD cards:
    SD Speed Class - SD Association

Keep in mind that class ratings are for minimum transfer speed. The class system is designed to ensure that the card can keep up with the needs of the host device.

As for the Droid, there's typically little need for a faster card as there's not that much high speed data transfer. Even if there is something "much faster" that doesn't mean OEM's are going to include the latest. 32GB microSD's are all class 2 from what I've seen.

You might want to chat with KZIWarrior:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/22358-class-6-microsdhd-card-16g.html#post220316

#7 takeshi, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010