Looking to get a droid phone

BengalDroid

Reaction score
I currently use the dinosaur model Hue from Samsung. I"m a relative caveman when it comes to computers and phones, I don't text, chat, myspace, facebook, etc... I live out in the boondocks, outside the reach of the cable company. I currently tether to the internet via the Hue and it's terrible.

I read the droid can be used to tether at much faster rates, so I am looking to upgrade my phone to a tether capable droid. Since I don't text, nor do I plan to use my phone as a mini-computer, I wanted to ask about the best phone to suit my needs and simple explanations as to the better options and what they do for me, like "rooting?"

I apologize for my complete ignorance on the subject at hand, but the Verizon site is cumbersome, and when I go into the local Verizon store, they're heavy handed on the sell which I do not like.

Thanks.

sal33n

Reaction score
Well if you are really only looking for internet access and nothing else then I would suggest either a mobile hot spot, or an air card if you only have a single computer you want on the internet. Why upgrade to a phone you will not use.

OP
B

BengalDroid

Reaction score
The way I understood it, the droid could be tethered without additional charge to my account. Therefore, cheaper internet that what I currently have, and less expensive than an aircard.

Again, unless I misunderstood the whole droid thing.

Never heard of the mobile hot spot. Not much is available out here.

sal33n

Reaction score
Yes you can tether a droid phone without any additional charge but in order to do that you need to root your phone so that you get full access to the file system and then are able to use the tethering apps available for root access. The alternative is to not root your phone and use an app called PDAnet that you can in effect tether with, although you do need to load software on the pc side to do it. The latter is the most legit way, so to speak. Pretty much any android phone will work just depends on how much you wanna spend for the phone. If you really do not want to use much else on the phone and nothing else matters to you then just get the cheapest android phone available to purchase, like maybe the original droid or an Incredible. Looking on Verizon's website there are a few options under $150 or cheaper if you get re-certified (used) phones.

Oh one thing... Once you get a droid you may get hooked and start yourself off on a new hobby, especially if you start hanging out around these forums :D

OP
B

BengalDroid

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the insight. And with the freebie tether, is there a limit or no? I assume not, but I like to ask dumb questions rather than get banged with a bill. How do I root, and what is that?

I don't want to get nailed with a new contract, so will likely look on ebay or craiglist for the droid. Anything I should look for or insist upon? and can you suggest further phones that will work? Short list, nothing too insane!

I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through all this. I get a bit lost trying to explain what I'm looking for and the follow the responses of the sale reps in the store.

And I am wary of becoming sucked into the droid world, which is why I'm going with the simpler machines...

sal33n

Reaction score
As of now there is no limit. Tethering does not change the way the phone connects to the internet so to Verizon there is no difference, IE they cannot see that you are tethered, but they can make educated guesses by your internet usage and supposedly may start throttling users that are using too much.

As far as phones go, the original Droid is very easy to root (What I currently have) or maybe the HTC incredible. I know that some phones are harder to root than others and I am only familiar with what I have. So maybe some others can chime in on which older phones are easy to root for tethering.

Wadman

Reaction score
The Droid X is really easy to root as well. z4root is an easy program to use and it is a one click root. Pretty much you download it from the market and click root and you are done. Then you can tether with a usb cable or, if your computer is capable, you can wireless tether with another app that is on the market. I had the original droid and from what I hear it is very easy to to root. I know that you say you wont use your phone as a mini computer or anything, but once you have an android powered phone you will be blown away at the capabilities. I was the guy that always said, "why would I need a phone that does all that?" "I will never use any of those applications." Then my wife decided that she wanted a droid. It came in the mail and after playing with it for 5 minutes I knew that my samsung rogue had to be returned. I have never looked back and I love my phones now. It isn't an obsession for me, it's just functional. I can do anything I want with this phone and now I understand all the hoopla.....Good luck...hope you find what you want...

OP
B

BengalDroid

Reaction score
I fear I may already be falling victim, since I found a droid 2 for two bills, plus the individual agreed to meet at the Verizon store to make the exchange, so I can ensure everything can be activated, clean phone, and all that jazz.

The cheapest I can find a regular Droid around here is 150, so figure it's a good deal, unless there's something I'm missing? Plus I assume the newer model has a better antenna and therefore I'd get better reception/signal, or am I off base there?

Thanks again for all the advice. Will I need to upgrade my cell plan for the droid since it's more capable?

pumpkidroid

Reaction score
You need a data plan for any Droid. Be wary if Droid 1. Went through three before I upgraded to the X.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App