1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Looking to disable home/back/search buttons on rooted motorola droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zethraeus, Jun 14, 2010.

1. zethraeus

zethraeus New Member

Does anyone here have any experience with disabling the touch buttons on the front of the motorola droid? I've found some information on disabling the search button on this forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/23552-disable-search-button.html) but havent found any information on the others.
    I'm using the device for testing purposes such that the phone's general usability is not really an issue and the three non-menu buttons are being triggered during general use.
    Rooting the device isn't a problem.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!
  2. zethraeus

zethraeus New Member

ok. i managed to figure this out myself so here's the info for anyone stumbling on this post via a search engine or something.

Once you have a rooted droid and the ability to use the su command:

if you have adb on your computer you can do this in a basic terminal with the device connected, otherwise i guess you'll have to do it in a terminal emulator on the device.

basically follow the instructions to remount the system partition as rw:Mounting /system partition in read-write mode in Android - adb, android, HOWTO, mount - Black God

then the instructions to disable the search buttons are at: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/23552-disable-search-button.html
    if you want to disable other buttons or switch around assignments, just look for the corresponding signifiers such as HOME and SEARCH and the button numbers they are associated with and comment them out or switch them around as need be.

this will let you remap your droid's keys completely as far as I've been able to tell.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I congratulate you on figuring this out. I also wonder why in the world you are doing this?

Well, that's the great thing about the Droid. You can customize it any way you want. I suppose. :)
  4. zethraeus

zethraeus New Member

Yeah, sorry for being a bit vague. It's not a very generalizable problem is it ;)

Anyway, I hope this info helps some other weirdo out there!
  5. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    OH man I wish I had known this a month ago. My husband's droid front keys stopped working for unknown reasons. I would have loved to been able to see if there was a process to reverse that before sending it back to Verizon. Would have saved me a lot of time unrooting his old droid and rooting his replacement.

Oh well............
Search tags for this page

android disable button

android disable home button

android disable search button
android root disable home and back button
android root lock home button
android root remove back button
disable home android root
disable home back button android
disable home back button on android
disable home button and back button and search button androi