Looking to buy Verizon SamSung Tab and only Use Wifi

ilusa

Reaction score
Hey guys, is this a good idea... I would like to only use it as a laptop sort of thing, With out a Verizon Plan. I would only like to use the wifi to connect.

Is this a good idea, is it easily done?

Also how does one JailBreak the Samsung Tab? So that i can download games/apps and so on..

Im a noob, who really wants one of these tabs.. Any help would be appreciated

Let me know

Thanks

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm sure there are plenty of guides on how to root it. Also it has the market so you can download apps and games.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

91LudeSiT

Reaction score
I rooted mine using z4root, and did the wpa_supplicant fix to enable ad-hoc wifi to tether with my phone. Looking to sell mine now though.

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
You can download apps and games as is. How would changing it make things better or worse?

It works fine as a wifi only device. It connects automatically with a push of a button or two.

It's a cool device. I've had one for about a month. A youtube video on a galaxy held two feet away is the same picture size as it would appear on a 18" desktop monitor.

OP
I

ilusa

Reaction score
You can download apps and games as is. How would changing it make things better or worse?

It works fine as a wifi only device. It connects automatically with a push of a button or two.

It's a cool device. I've had one for about a month. A youtube video on a galaxy held two feet away is the same picture size as it would appear on a 18" desktop monitor.

Well the reason i would be interested in rooting or the thought of rooting it, is because i would be interested in free games and so on.

I know for my previous iphone i had to jailbreak it to do this... So im assuming i iwll need to root my tab when i get it to do the same. Download and play the games for free?

Also if anyone has any links to guides i can use it would be helpfull, as i have never done this before, i have only jailbroken my iphone

Thanks!

motoconvert

Reaction score
Android and iphone are two different o/s. You dont have to jailbreak or root to play games. As long as you have the market you are good to go...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Sounds like you're talking about stealing games to me which is something we don't discuss here.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CoMtnMan

Reaction score
I have had the vzw tab since xmas. I rooted it easily with z4root, although this was not necessary for free games (readily avail on the market). I rooted for more control and ad-free apps. When I bought the tab, the vzw rep told me I would have to activate it ($35) and get at least the 2gb plan ($20 per month). None of this is true. There is a work around when you power up the device the first time using the volume button so you can skip the activation. Without activation or using 3g, they cannot charge you for the data plan. I use mine solely with wifi, either on a network or tethered to my dinc (with unlimited data). It works flawlessly, plus I turned off the vzw radio so I am getting close to 48 hours on a charge with 2 to 3 hours of use per day. I can't justify the vzw charges when I can do the same thing for free. The only bad thing is that vzw has gimped the tab so you cannot use it as a phone, but I already have a phone so not a big deal for me. Cheers.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums App

BubbaRob

Reaction score
I have a Verizon tab also but its going back because Verizon also gimped the HID Bluetooth profiles meaning you cannot connect/pair any Bluetooth keyboards (like the apple one) to your Verizon tab. Your only option is to purchase the Samsung accessory keyboard/dock combo.

Also, FYI if you're planning to install any custom ROMS and such, there seems to be more available for the T-Mobile/AT&T version of the tab. If you're using wifi only you might consider a different tab rather than Verizon's. Just some things to think about.

91LudeSiT

Reaction score
I have a Verizon tab also but its going back because Verizon also gimped the HID Bluetooth profiles meaning you cannot connect/pair any Bluetooth keyboards (like the apple one) to your Verizon tab. Your only option is to purchase the Samsung accessory keyboard/dock combo.

Also, FYI if you're planning to install any custom ROMS and such, there seems to be more available for the T-Mobile/AT&T version of the tab. If you're using wifi only you might consider a different tab rather than Verizon's. Just some things to think about.

Exactly, or get a nook color, of which the custom roms are far better. I am getting rid of my galaxy tab to get one. The nook color is also far cheaper.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Well the reason i would be interested in rooting or the thought of rooting it, is because i would be interested in free games and so on.

I know for my previous iphone i had to jailbreak it to do this... So im assuming i iwll need to root my tab when i get it to do the same. Download and play the games for free?

Also if anyone has any links to guides i can use it would be helpfull, as i have never done this before, i have only jailbroken my iphone

Thanks!

Root has nothing to do with getting free game.... If your talking about paid games/apps for free, You can just stop this thread now....

huskur

Reaction score

Thanks!

Root has nothing to do with getting free game.... If your talking about paid games/apps for free, You can just stop this thread now....

As backnblack just stated....root is not needed for gaming at all or for getting free games for that matter. If you want free games there are many sites on the internet to get the .apk files of almost any game for free. I am not a gamer so i don't care about "stealing games" but they are out there. See for yourself by using "google". DF will not tolerate discussion of theft or be a part of it. If you want to do it, you are on your own.

FYI---- almost any .apk is available if you know where to look

virtaclesmile

Reaction score
Exactly, or get a nook color, of which the custom roms are far better. I am getting rid of my galaxy tab to get one. The nook color is also far cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree...$249 bucks for a retail nook color, cheaper on 3rd party sites will get you exactly what your looking for! I have one and it is rooted and OC'd to 1.2 ghz. There is even a "almost" fully functional Honeycomb rom available if your interested in such things. Its blazing fast and works great with android tether. I haven't looked , but, if you like the look of the galaxy tab, there are launchers out there as well as themes that can closely mimic the GS. tslauncher is a good one.

good luck, I wouldnt blow all your money away on a GS tab....just sayin.

Not a sermon, just a thought

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
When I bought the tab, the vzw rep told me I would have to activate it ($35) and get at least the 2gb plan ($20 per month). None of this is true. There is a work around when you power up the device the first time using the volume button so you can skip the activation. Without activation or using 3g, they cannot charge you for the data plan. I use mine solely with wifi, either on a network or tethered to my dinc (with unlimited data).

I bought my Galaxy at Costco through Verizon and I had to purchase the 1GB data plan (approx $25) for at least one month in order to purchase it. I also will have to pay the activation fee ($35) if I return it within 90 days, Costco warranty.

Was I able to buy it without paying the one month data fee and the activation fee?