Looking for your opinion on if I should switch ROMs

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I am having issues with my phone being slow. I am not the most knowledgeable person about the Android operating system, but I not a newbie to computers or computer hardware. I think it's caused by having too many applications installed. I don't want to get rid of these apps, as I find myself reinstalling some of the same old applications that I didn't use two days ago. I might use them all day today and not again for the next three days. I guess I am having trouble with deciding which apps to delete and keep deleted.

I don't know if I can wait for an update to my operating system, "froyo" or some other update. I am using BB 1.1, upgraded from 1.0, and I am sure the speed issues only happen after installing too many of my applications with Titanium Backup. So I'm not blaming the ROM.

I tried Cynogen once and had a really hard time adjusting to how slow it was, I'm sure I had a bad install, but I had to switch back to Bugless Beast 1.0 immediately so I could use the phone. Should I try and go back again and research how to get Apps2SD working so I can have all my apps on my phone and free up some RAM space for once??

I am not the type of guy that wants to switch ROMs every day because I'm still discovering all kinds of new applications I can use within my current ROM. I am willing to switch to try Apps2SD even if it isn't as fast as my current ROM, if it means I will have RAM space to run more than my current amount of applications I run :(

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Apps2Sd doesn't free up phone "ram" space, it frees up the phones internal storage space, two different things. Having more free storage space is nice though as you don't even think about downloading and installing apps.

Easiest way to use Apps2SD is to purchase Rom Manager from the Market (the premium version). Copy anything you have on your SD card to your PC and then using ROM Manager, configure Apps2SD and it will wipe your SD card, repartition it for the Apps2SD section and create the standard partition for storing your pictures, music, etc..

Install CyanogenMOD 5.7.0.1 and once it is installed...turn on Apps2SD. You can configure a max of 512meg for Apps2SD giving you the 512(ext) + 256(int) megs of space for applications. Some applications our probably best on the internal storage ram and you have the option once installed to move to that location (or if already installed before you enabled Apps2SD to move them to the SD Card).

I've been running CyanogenMOD for a bit now and it's definitely not slow. The default launcher it comes with is pretty slow but I use Launcher Pro which flies.

Ran Stock 2.0.1, then ran rooted 2.0.1 with 800mhz overclock, then ran Chevys Simply Stunning @ 1100mhz for a while. Wanted to try Apps2SD so installed CyanogenMOD 5.6.0.2. Upgraded to 5.7.0.1 when it came out.

djrakun

Reaction score
The free cersion of rom manager can help you with apps2sd also. Backup your sd to your pc like tcrews says bc your whole sd will be erased when pafrtitioning.

Installing apps does slow your phone down but it is not directly relational to having apps installed. It is how many apps are running in the background that uses up your precious ram. I reccommend something like thibault nicolas's task manager which will kill all running apps (that you don't explicitly ignore) on screen off. This made a big difference for me. I use the power button as a task killer more or less. When my phone is slow I just give it a tap.

I use cyanogenmod 5:0.7.1 now and the helixlauncher 2 for my home screen, and I won't lie to you, I have intermittent slowdowns that are pretty annoying, especially after bragging to someone that I'm oc'd and then I try to show them. Unfortunaely the best way to free up your ram and make your os responsive again is not to remove apps, but remove the widgets and shortcuts from your home screen. It sucks because with helix2 I have 7 screens of real estate and almost all of them are empty now. Oh well, better than a slow phone!

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I use cyanogenmod 5:0.7.1 now and the helixlauncher 2 for my home screen, and I won't lie to you, I have intermittent slowdowns that are pretty annoying, especially after bragging to someone that I'm oc'd and then I try to show them.

I suggest you ditch Helix Launcher (1 or 2) and try LauncherPro Beta from the market. It seriously flies on your phone and gives you up to 7 screens as well as allowing for 4 apps to be set at the bottom like Helix does....

It comes with 4 predefined ones that look cool (they are grayed out/ghosted looking - phone/contacts/messaging/browser) but can be replaced with any just by long pressing them.

I was a long time Helix 1 user for it's 4 docking apps and multi-screen feature and it's speed over Helix 2. I've switched to LauncherPro now and like it much better.

djrakun

Reaction score
I use cyanogenmod 5:0.7.1 now and the helixlauncher 2 for my home screen, and I won't lie to you, I have intermittent slowdowns that are pretty annoying, especially after bragging to someone that I'm oc'd and then I try to show them.

I suggest you ditch Helix Launcher (1 or 2) and try LauncherPro Beta from the market. It seriously flies on your phone and gives you up to 7 screens as well as allowing for 4 apps to be set at the bottom like Helix does....

It comes with 4 predefined ones that look cool (they are grayed out/ghosted looking - phone/contacts/messaging/browser) but can be replaced with any just by long pressing them.

I was a long time Helix 1 user for it's 4 docking apps and multi-screen feature and it's speed over Helix 2. I've switched to LauncherPro now and like it much better.

just downloaded it. thanks for the tip! it is much faster but It doesn't seem that i can put whatever apps i want in the shortcut dock ( edit: i figured this out: they are sub options under 'applications', duh!)

I still only have 3 home screens so there must be a configuration window somewhere that i can't find. still working this out but this is a major speed improvement so far.

Last edited:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I still only have 3 home screens so there must be a configuration window somewhere that i can't find. still working this out but this is a major speed improvement so far.

Press your menu key and choose Preferences

You'll have:
Number of screens

Default screen (this is the default home screen...can be which ever you choose)

Enable Auto-rotation

Home Key to default screen (if checked...takes you to the screen you chose above, if not, pulls up the cool sense ui like selector)

For applications of your own in the dock....just long press the default ones and it pops up for you to choose what you want.

Last edited:

djrakun

Reaction score

Press your menu key and choose Preferences

You'll have:
Number of screens

Default screen (this is the default home screen...can be which ever you choose)

Enable Auto-rotation

Home Key to default screen (if checked...takes you to the screen you chose above, if not, pulls up the cook sense ui like selector)

For applications of your own in the dock....just long press the default ones and it pops up for you to choose what you want.

dancedroidperfect. I got everything i need now and my shortcuts are all set up. you are right: it is a massive improvement over helixlauncher2 (3d app tray is gone but I've lost my fascination with it anyway. speed is a more lasting desire).

Thanks for the quick tutorial. I love this forum

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No problem.... you know you can also pinch any of your home screens and they shrink down to display all your screens in smaller versions so you can touch one of those to jump instantly to it.