1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Looking for specific features in a Rom

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Soapster, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Soapster

Soapster New Member

I have the original Moto Droid.
    Currently on 2.2
    Nothing rooted or special right now. But I will be buying the Droid X2 next week.
    What I want to do is find a rom that I can put on my old droid to make it only play movies and music. Like a ipod or MP3 player. I will keep it in Airplane mode and only use the wifi when needed. I know I can do that as is, but I was hoping for something more lightweight. Faster to boot. Less services and apps running all the time. Anything minimalistic and the ability to use wifi would be ideal.

I'm fairly new to this, so I'm not really sure what to search for. (or I'd already of done so)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. bigdad63

bigdad63 New Member

Two things; first, if your're only using it for movies then you should be able to take off all of the other programs which will in and of itself make it perform better by having a lot of free memory. If you want it to be lighter, then you can use titanium backup or system app remover to delete some non-essential things (after backing up first of course). And second, why would you buy an X2 when there's a good chance the bionic will be out in about a month? Don't get me wrong, I had the X2 and it wasn't bad, but the Bionic looks like it's going to blow it out of the water in memory, screen, camera/video, 4G capability, FFC, and maybe even the processor. I'm a heavy user and the capacitive buttons on the X2 became a pain after a while. I would say if none of that stuff matters to you and you want to save a few bucks then go for it.
  3. Soapster

Soapster New Member

Mainly for MP3's... The option to remove things on the phone like amazon MP3 and email apps would be ideal.
    That is really what I'm looking for. I thought that replacing the rom with a slimmer one would be easier. But if I can strip this down, I will and it should accomplish what I'm looking for. To stop crap apps from auto launching, taking up memory, trying to use the internet... By the way, I find that to be extremely intrusive of phones today. so many apps running in the background that I never launched myself. Many load ads to make money from my data package... I'm all for supporting developers by ads, but I feel I should choose to open the app myself.

And for the X2...

I actually do not want 4g. I want to wait until it's everywhere and not in small places.
    Plus I have a problem with limited bandwidth. So I oppose using 4g until there in a unlimited option.
    Front facing camera is silly for me. No one wants to see my ugly mug anyways. nor would I make video phone calls. the X2 is a dual core cpu so that's more robust than the thunderbolt...

So really. the X2 is really ideal for me. I'm a minimalist by nature, so I won't have a billion apps on the phone. Some say I don't use the full potential of my phone. But I'd rather have a device that is fast and snappy than too much crap slowing it down.

Still, if anyone knows of any roms that are minimalistic for the droid 1... I'm still open to suggestions. =)

Thanks!
  4. bigdad63

bigdad63 New Member

I can see what you mean. I will be getting grandfathered in on my unlimited plan, so I should be ready when full coverage happens. I do believe they're already developing toggles for 3G/4G so that there's no tug of war between the two systems. If you don't keep a lot of programs on your phone, then you won't run out of memory like I did like I did when I had the X2. Whatever you choose, backup first. And good luck.
Search tags for this page
how to turn non active droid phone into a mp3 player
how to turn old droid into best mp3 player
mp3 player rom for phone

turn old android phone into mp3 player

turn old droid into mp3 player