Looking for ROM suggestions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by qwiksilver711, Mar 29, 2010.

1. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

Flashed my first rom, smoked glass, about two weeks ago. Looking at trying something new. Like the black of this one, refuse to go to white again. What are your suggestions guys?
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

3. capnfuffy

capnfuffy New Member

I'm using bugless beast 1.1. It is not the newest one and is 2.0.1 based but i have had no problems with it. It is simple and very reliable.
  4. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

I.ll check ultimate droid out in the morning then
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I suggest the newest bb, .09.

You CAN theme just about any rom you like btw.
  6. skourg3

skourg3 New Member

I personally really like Cyanogen. I'm using CM w/the Hexfusion MM theme, though Nextheme is pretty popular for it as well. My first question would be why do you want to switch? Your best bet would probably be to start by looking at features of other ROMs and seeing what you like.
  7. 561427

561427 New Member

I started with SMupdater then DMupdater. I like Ultimate Droid but i havent tried any other ones. BlackDroid (the creator) is ALWAYS on the forums and there is always a lot of discussion and support about the problems or requests people have. I say +2 for Ultimate Droid.
  8. gavron

gavron Guest

The following is opinion only. Mine.
    Blackdroid certainly has a following, and he is on often, but that's because UltimateDroid is always released half-baked with most of it untested despite having a "beta team". The bug list causes him to have to fix things pretty much daily.

DroidMod. They don't issue a lot of updates. They are behind the curve on some things (2.1 launcher). However, very stable.

AdamZ's SmokedGlass. Updated, no bugs left untouched, lots of betas (and by lots I stopped counting after 12 on the last one). He leaves some stuff out because he can't get it to be perfect... but the stuff he releases works.

I use SmokedGlass because I don't like ForcedClose, I do like the Motorola Phone Portal app, and it works. I have installed DroidMod for a friend because it was easy (DMUpdater) and it works. I have wiped UltimateDroid off two phones because it just won't stay stable.

Finally WHY do we upgrade ROMs. I do it because I like the extra features of the newer apps (MT Browser, MT maps, MT 3D galler).. and some I like but aren't yet stable on everything (2.1 3D launcher).

Clockwork - needs work. SPrecovery - is fine.

End opinion
    Your mileage may vary.

E
  9. 561427

561427 New Member

Gavron maybe ill give smoked a try or something new.

I had a question for blackdroid and wanted to request an update to the keyboard in his ROM but do you know if anyone of these ROMS have a keyboard that stays open when you rotate the screen? i hate typing a message, rotating my phone, and then reopening the keyboard. This of coarse is the touch keyboard not the physical keyboard. althouhg this might be an .apk fix have you come across it in any ROM?
  10. gavron

gavron Guest

I have not... that would be something cool. The bonus I like from SmokedGlass is the Motorola Phone Portal. Between that and Wireless Tether... what else is needed? ;-)
  11. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

I guess the main reason I wanted to change is the little black droid on the app drawer on ultimatedroid. If gavron is right (and I suspect he is) and its not all that stable, I'm not going to try. I despise force closes, and I'll run smoked glass just because its stable. Is there a way to get the black droid from ultimate droid onto smoked glass?

P.S. Go easy on me guys, i'm tryin here, but this stuff it hard to learn. I can live on these forums, but still have questions every day