Looking for ROM Developers to support Droid 3

C

Communisum

Droid life, moto manager, its locked for now.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy again, lol. The Droid 3 looks to have some good points. I am keeping my eye on it. The Ram, Pentile, buggy Blur and thickness are negatives to me. The HDMI mirroring, 4" screen, and Omap processor are all positives too me. So I am curious to see if this turns out to be a good device (the x2 didnt though). It has potential. I just don't like the lag I saw in the videos over at droid life. Hopefully the Bootloader isn't encrypted either.

mattbooty

Reaction score
Sorry. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy again, lol. The Droid 3 looks to have some good points. I am keeping my eye on it. The Ram, Pentile, buggy Blur and thickness are negatives to me. The HDMI mirroring, 4" screen, and Omap processor are all positives too me. So I am curious to see if this turns out to be a good device (the x2 didnt though). It has potential. I just don't like the lag I saw in the videos over at droid life. Hopefully the Bootloader isn't encrypted either.

I was just messing, I know you were just posting what you found. I was hoping it would be unlocked as well, and still holding out hope as I haven't seen anything so far to say it can't be unlocked (the articles you posted point to it be locked out of the box but it was a little wishy washy on whether it can be easily unlocked).

I was dissappointed somewhat with the Droid 3 specs also, but its going to be a big upgrade over my D1. I played with some pentile screens and they didn't bother me, more ram would be nice, but 512 is still pretty decent as most are coming out with 512 right now (even the 1GB I believe have 512 dedicated to the webtop software so basically the same).

My thing is, I have to have a keyboard. I tried to use the virtual keyboard for a week (stock keyboard and swype) to see if I could live with an upgrade to a phone without one (like a bionic or galaxy 2) but I couldn't do it, I use it for work and type a ton of emails.... it worked fine for short texts, but if I had to type a multi paragraph email it was frustrating.

mattbooty

Reaction score
can you post some links?

thanks man

Not to speak for him but i think he's referring to the articles Stelv posted earlier in this thread. Which when I read the thread linked to (and the droid life article just cited the moto forum link as its source) I read it as its locked out of the box, but it didn't seem to specify the ability to unlock it (maybe I overlooked that and am just being hopeful). I don't think it totally discounted the possibility of users unlocking the bootloader. when asked about being able to unlock the locked bootloader, the motorolla forum guy that everyone is sourcing dodged the question a bit.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
See below for response.. no need to post multiple times

yeah after i saw the post above i just went and looked and it links to that same post i already talked about here. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/157845-d3-unlocked-bootloader-not-2.html#post1619123

PLEASE READ THE LINK!!!!!

and realize the xoom is not unlocked either, I dont remember a device ever coming unlocked they all come locked like stated in that thread it is not unlocked he says that because it isn't because moto supplies it locked, but the user had the option with the xoom to unlock,

we will all know tomorrow. no one source can really be considered accurate right now, even me, I'm just talking from experience here so take from it what you want, if it is indeed locked than my will go back, I only got it because I had first hand knowledge of it coming locked, BUT being unlockable by end user.

like i said in that post i linked to theres a lot of gray area they always avoid the question, if you call and ask them how to unlock your xoom which i have done before they tell you it can't be done, but we all know it can.. so there is motorola reps/forum people if you need a first hand example give them a call and see for yourself, hopefully you get someone who knows what your talking about or that is truthful, but i havn't yet.

can you post some links?

thanks man

Not to speak for him but i think he's referring to the articles Stelv posted earlier in this thread. Which when I read the thread linked to (and the droid life article just cited the moto forum link as its source) I read it as its locked out of the box, but it didn't seem to specify the ability to unlock it (maybe I overlooked that and am just being hopeful). I don't think it totally discounted the possibility of users unlocking the bootloader. when asked about being able to unlock the locked bootloader, the motorolla forum guy that everyone is sourcing dodged the question a bit.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit: Sorry posted at the same time. Didn't see the last post.

Here is the direct article that I posted before. https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/53563?tstart=0

Matt the forum manager over at the moto support forums stated this: "not "unlockable" like the Motorola Xoom. Beyond that, I have no idea how hard it might be to unlock. Not a topic we entertain on this site in general."

Hopefully its not as hard to break as the x2 and its not ecryptend also.

Snow02

Reaction score
Remove the s in https in your links. They don't work in the forum app otherwise.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
forgot to mention this part the guy is correct in his post on motorola, the device is not unlocked from the factory, and it is not unlockable LIKE THE XOOM, but it is unlockable but once unlocked it cannot be locked back up like the xoom can this is why he said its not unlockable/relockable like the xoom, because this bootloader can be unlocked but can't go back.. this i have seen, and we will know for sure tomorrow

mattbooty

Reaction score
forgot to mention this part the guy is correct in his post on motorola, the device is not unlocked from the factory, and it is not unlockable LIKE THE XOOM, but it is unlockable but once unlocked it cannot be locked back up like the xoom can this is why he said its not unlockable/relockable like the xoom, because this bootloader can be unlocked but can't go back.. this i have seen, and we will know for sure tomorrow

I'm just curious, when you keep saying that you've seen it, do you mean specifically you've seen this with a droid 3 or just moto phones in general (if you can answer without giving up your CI's hehe)?

This is not me doubting you, I'm just confused by what you mean as you've mentioned that a few times.

EDIT: And I know you aren't trying to say 100% it will be this way, I'm not asking you to give any kind of confirmation hehe

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Yes saw it specifically on the D3 saw it unlocked with root, I can't get into details and everyone knows why I wish I could say more or give more insight but I'm already giving out a lot of stuff, and also it may not be unlockable directly tomorrow but if not tomorrow soon with an update, but I bet it will be unlockable tomorrow and unlike the xoom it can't be locked back up, which is why moto "forum managers" have said its not unlocked because it isn't they answered truthfully but didn't give details, and there were also correct saying its not unlcokable/relockable like the xoom because from what I know it can be unlocked but once u do there is no going backed to locked which is like they said unlike the xoom beecause the xoom goes both ways..

I'm just curious, when you keep saying that you've seen it, do you mean specifically you've seen this with a droid 3 or just moto phones in general (if you can answer without giving up your CI's hehe)?

This is not me doubting you, I'm just confused by what you mean as you've mentioned that a few times.

EDIT: And I know you aren't trying to say 100% it will be this way, I'm not asking you to give any kind of confirmation hehe

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

mattbooty

Reaction score
Yes saw it specifically on the D3 saw it unlocked with root, I can't get into details and everyone knows why I wish I could say more or give more insight but I'm already giving out a lot of stuff, and also it may not be unlockable directly tomorrow but if not tomorrow soon with an update, but I bet it will be unlockable tomorrow and unlike the xoom it can't be locked back up, which is why moto "forum managers" have said its not unlocked because it isn't they answered truthfully but didn't give details, and there were also correct saying its not unlcokable/relockable like the xoom because from what I know it can be unlocked but once u do there is no going backed to locked which is like they said unlike the xoom beecause the xoom goes both ways..

Thanks! Great clarification, I assumed you couldn't get into much detail, but appreciate the info you were able to release.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So currently there is no way to go back to unrooted if one messes up there D3 with root correct? There is no sbf and it will be hard to force recovery?

mattbooty

Reaction score
So currently there is no way to go back to unrooted if one messes up there D3 with root correct? There is no sbf and it will be hard to force recovery?

I would think once it is unlocked you could always install an unrooted stock build of android... and I'm guessing someone will be able to provide a stock build of the droid 3's motoblur environment to flash, but even if you flashed it back to stock/motoblur the OS is not rooted at that point but the bootloader is still unlocked.