looking for lots of input

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
i have the verizon galaxy nexus, I515.0VFC04/I515.FC05, IMM76K, android version 4.0.4

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Thanks man, have the Rom and Google apps, only thing I'm unsure of now is what the proper Franco kernel is I don't know the gpu differences

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Thanks man, have the Rom and Google apps, only thing I'm unsure of now is what the proper Franco kernel is I don't know the gpu differences

Let's get the ROM up and running and worry about the kernel in a bit! Flash the rom, then the gapps then reboot.

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
do i just drop the .zips to the internal storage not in a folder? same for the franco kernel?

I am just a step above newb status with flashing but from what I see most doing (and what I did) is place your .zip(s) in the folder /sdcard. This is the root folder of your sd storage. Root in this case means the very beginning not like rooted where you have superuser access. This way your .zip is not buried in some sub-folder making it easier to access.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Let's get the ROM up and running and worry about the kernel in a bit! Flash the rom, then the gapps then reboot.

^This. Since you have never used a custom ROM, or Jelly Bean. It may not be a bad idea to run stock for a day or so anyhow, before jumping into the world of custom kernels. This will at least give you some comparison for battery life and performance. Not necessary, but I still recommend it, as not everyone's device likes everyone's kernel or kernel setup.

The differences in the two Franco kernels are the GPU are overclocked speeds, 384MHz vs 512MHz. Theoretically the higher the OC the less people it will be stable for, so if you are going for stability you may want to consider the slower option of the two. Realistically performance speaking you probably won't notice a difference between the two in most activites, you may get higher scores in benchmarks or get a couple frames per second extra in a game, if any.

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
I flash the rom and it is absolutely awesome the things you can do it this I really wish I would've done it sooner as for the kernel in that case I'm gonna go with a 384 just because I am more for stability but thank you guys again all this helps has been absolutely amazing and I almost feel like I know what I'm doing now. Which kernels get the best battery life? Because idont play many games just twitter.texting.phone calls. And office for my school work. Thank you guys again for the assistance and advice!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I flash the rom and it is absolutely awesome the things you can do it this I really wish I would've done it sooner as for the kernel in that case I'm gonna go with a 384 just because I am more for stability but thank you guys again all this helps has been absolutely amazing and I almost feel like I know what I'm doing now. Which kernels get the best battery life? Because idont play many games just twitter.texting.phone calls. And office for my school work. Thank you guys again for the assistance and advice!
Since you're new to this I would leave the kernel that the ROM came with, I think that's lean kernel on JBSourcery. It's a good kernel and gets great battery life, I just have a preference in a specific kernel so I flash to it instead.

ROM devs usually keep in mind with what kernel will work best with their ROM. So if I were you and new to all this, I would just stick with the kernel that's already on JBSourcery. If you still want to change it up after that, we'll be glad to help.

rjcapp

Reaction score
Great job....

Again back up what you just flashed!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Backed up the new ROM in ROM manager. So now onto kernels. What kernels are reliable and maximize your battery?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Backed up the new ROM in ROM manager. So now onto kernels. What kernels are reliable and maximize your battery?

Jeez, you really don't listen do you? Haha. Anyway, all kernels give different results for different users because of the slight hardware variances in each phone. A kernel that works awesome for someone else may not work well with your phone. Your best bet it to stick with the kernel that came with your ROM. It will take you 3-4 days to properly determine the battery life you're going to get out of a kernel. If your not satisfied, its trial and error from there. Franco, Trinity, Lean, Faux, Popcorn and various others are all great kernels. You just have to find the right one for your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Haha I listen but I just DON'T have a grasp on how everything works yet the GNEX is so much different from my droid 2 which I was not able to properly flash. I will try several then given your advice. I'm just curious as to what other people have found effective BC being such a rookie my ability to trouble shoot snags is oh so limited so I would like to start with the safe stuff till I know what I'm doin

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Haha I listen but I just DON'T have a grasp on how everything works yet the GNEX is so much different from my droid 2 which I was not able to properly flash. I will try several then given your advice. I'm just curious as to what other people have found effective BC being such a rookie my ability to trouble shoot snags is oh so limited so I would like to start with the safe stuff till I know what I'm doin
We understand you're anxious to learn and mess around with your phone, but just take some time to learn your phone first before you become a flash-o-holic. Run your current setup maybe 4 or 5 days and if you're not pleased, then we'll be glad to help you figure out which kernel works best for you.

And I just found out, seconds ago, that JBSourcery 2.0 is up. So if you're really impatient and want to mess around some more, you can flash 2.0 now.

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Haha I saw that I might do it later BC my battery is low. This might be a dumb question but can I delete a .zip after I flash it or is that no no :awkwardsmirk: