looking for lots of input

Azazel

Reaction score
Ok speedy story. Love the nexus :biggrin: but hate the battery. I want to root and get the most out of my battery. I'm nervous about flashing roms bc when I did it on my droid 2 it bricked every time I attempted a Rom. So I'd like to know what the best roms are for battery life and how to properly flash them. Nubcake question I know but I'm not a tech genius so I'd greatly appreciate some input. Thanks.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Well, you will not have to worry about bricking this phone at all. Unless when you say you bricked your Droid 2, you mean that you had to factory reset it to get it work again, in which case, that is something you have to get used to when flashing ROMs. This is because, to answer your other question, the proper way to flash ROMs is manually, in Clockwork or whatever custom recovery you choose, after performing a factory reset and cache wipe. Using apps like Rom Manager can cause errors or bugs in the flashing process, it's best to download any ROMs yourself directly to your SD card and flashing it manually via recovery. The Nexus is a developer phone and the unlockable bootloader leaves it pretty much unbrickable, because you can just reflash stock images at any point.

As far as batter life tweaking, this comes usually in the kernel, which there are TONS you can try out from many developers. I personally switch back and forth between Franco and Imoysen, but I stick with Franco because he has more color tweaking options and my Nexus suffers some unfortunate amounts of yellow-tinge banding without all the color tweaks provided by Franco's kernel. But it does also bring great battery life performance. ROMs themselves can also bring better battery life, you just have to experiment, as everyone's phone and phone usage are extremely different.

ROMs, the answer is Jelly Bean ROMs. They're awesome, Jelly Bean is awesome. I am currently running Liquid Smooth Jelly Bean Beta2. It's a solid ROM. There's still some bugs, but they are not major and do not effect the normal functionality of the phone at all. This is another area you have to do a lot of research, as ROMs won't function the same for all phones as well. But this is the fun of it all! Because all these different ROMs out there bring a plethora of different features, you just have to to find out what you like. Just research the threads of any ROM you might be interested in, they will have tons of info.

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable input, the most stable roms and kernels are the ones I looking for. Between my work schedule and grad school schedule I usually can't afford to lose hours messing with a ton of development options every week so I'm looking for efficiency that I can hang on to for a longer period of time. Again suggestions are welcomed as today is the rare occasion that I have so much free time

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've used plenty of ROMs and all have been stable with no issues. Right now I'm using JBSourcery with Trinity kernel and I'm loving it.

Other JB ROMs I've used that are stable were SlimBean, JellyBelly, and AOKP (though it's not official).

And if for some reason you want to skip out on JB (don't know why you would :D) pretty much every ICS ROM is stable.

edit:
Check out this thread from our sister site. Bunch of quality JellyBean ROMs here:http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-roms-lte-cdma/6338-aosp-jellybean-roms.html

Capone76

Reaction score
dezymond said:
I've used plenty of ROMs and all have been stable with no issues. Right now I'm using JBSourcery with Trinity kernel and I'm loving it.

Other JB ROMs I've used that are stable were SlimBean, JellyBelly, and AOKP (though it's not official).

And if for some reason you want to skip out on JB (don't know why you would :D) pretty much every ICS ROM is stable.

edit:
Check out this thread from our sister site. Bunch of quality JellyBean ROMs here:http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-roms-lte-cdma/6338-aosp-jellybean-roms.html

JBSourcery has been the one I keep going back to. I've tried about 6 others and I just like the customizing Sorcery offered. No problems at all. ROM is awesome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

rjcapp

Reaction score
No brainer

jbsourcery with you favorite kernel.

I use Franco

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Thanks peoples. Unfortunately I don't have the time or attention to test drive any roms or kernels at the moment.. busy day on my off day. I do have time to fool around with apps that help maximize the GNEX experience do if you have any errors of wisdom there on how to improve the phone in that respect I would appreciate it. I have unlocked and rooted btw WOOO what a plunge. But now my nexus seems a tad bit slower with regards responsiveness. I have android over clock, not sure what to do with it however since it said the nexus isn't compatible. So if there are any cool things I can do without connecting the phone to my laptop via usb those would be ideal for today. I have saved the links you guys have posted so that I can access then when I have time. Again I appreciate all the advice it's been good but I'm always up for more :biggrin:

Capone76

Reaction score
Azazel said:
Thanks peoples. Unfortunately I don't have the time or attention to test drive any roms or kernels at the moment.. busy day on my off day. I do have time to fool around with apps that help maximize the GNEX experience do if you have any errors of wisdom there on how to improve the phone in that respect I would appreciate it. I have unlocked and rooted btw WOOO what a plunge. But now my nexus seems a tad bit slower with regards responsiveness. I have android over clock, not sure what to do with it however since it said the nexus isn't compatible. So if there are any cool things I can do without connecting the phone to my laptop via usb those would be ideal for today. I have saved the links you guys have posted so that I can access then when I have time. Again I appreciate all the advice it's been good but I'm always up for more :biggrin:

It takes like 10 to 15 minutes to install 4.1 and that is were you are gonna get your smooth butter. Lol. Sorry I can't think of any thing besides installing a ROM and kernel

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Thank you for the input keep it coming :biggrin: I know absolutely nothing about kernel or roms so I am very clueless with that area. And if there is a list of safe apps to remove and freeze once rooted would someone be so kind to show this blind man the light. You guys again, thank you

Capone76

Reaction score
Azazel said:
Thank you for the input keep it coming :biggrin: I know absolutely nothing about kernel or roms so I am very clueless with that area. And if there is a list of safe apps to remove and freeze once rooted would someone be so kind to show this blind man the light. You guys again, thank you

Titanium pro works

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ROM: Read Only Memory, a program used to make changes to anything from the look of the home screen, to icons to custom boot animation
Kernel: The govenor of the CPU useage and Battery output, one can upload certain Kernals to achieve greater performance speed of their device at the cost of some battery life

There are a ton of ROMs and kernels available for your disposable. Many are going to recommend a certain ROM (much like I did), but it is, of course, a subjective matter. Also your phone may or may not agree with the ROM or kernel, so you might have to work around that by flashing different combinations. And for some of us it's like choosing an outfit each day, which ROM should we use today....

I got 3 backups, all different ROMs, on my phone at my disposable anytime I want to switch. It's an addiction, but I wouldn't say it's bad
:p

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Thanks again! I think I'm going to go for the slim bean Rom with Franco kernel for the first try because I'm looking for stability and battery life. That is once I figure out how to flash roms and kernels. Feel free to list your Fav roms and kernel combinations and why you like that combo.this is all very useful info for someone who doesn't really know what they are doing. You people rock!

OP
A

Azazel

Reaction score
Capone76 said:
Titanium pro works

Yes I have titanium pro but I don't know what to freeze