Looking for D2 secure car mount

harv2000

Reaction score
I am looking for a good car mount for the D2. Specifically, something that will actually allow the D2 to be mounted in landscape. At the moment, I am using the Arkon Universal Megagrip as my mount and am not ecstatic with it. You have to really squeeze the D2 in because if you don't, the moment you accelerate hard, the D2 will fall out face first, and you can only realistically mount it in portrait, which is less than ideal for mapping functions. I'd prefer to get something that uses a ball mount versus some kind of articulated arm. That seems to give the most flexibility (i.e. vent mount, bean bag mount, etc.

What are you all finding?

wkearney99

Reaction score
Me too. I'm not 'as worried' about a secure mount for hard acceleration, but definitely want one geared toward landscape orientation. I'm considering getting a Proclip mount (2006 Grand Cherokee) that clips onto the dash, next to the factory nav computer. But what to attach to the mount? Not afraid to drill or screw into a mount, provided I can find one I like. I'd really like one that works like the desktop base. I'd rather hard-wire the cord into the vehicle instead of using the lighter outlet.

Can the moto or seido mounts be attached to the flat mount of a proclip? I don't need the ball as there's not really enough depth between the dash and the back of the steering wheel.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
I have a note in to Proclip asking if they are planning to come through with a Droid mount at some point. I didn't like the looks of any of their universal mounts and noted that the didn't have anything specific to the D1 or the D2, yet at least. I haven't heard back from them.

Doyer

Reaction score
I am looking for a good car mount for the D2. Specifically, something that will actually allow the D2 to be mounted in landscape. At the moment, I am using the Arkon Universal Megagrip as my mount and am not ecstatic with it. You have to really squeeze the D2 in because if you don't, the moment you accelerate hard, the D2 will fall out face first, and you can only realistically mount it in portrait, which is less than ideal for mapping functions.
That's strange, I'm currently using the Mega Grip and haven't had any problems, I even use it in landscape without issue. I've also used the Mega grip with previous phones without a problem. Maybe you got a defective unit or broke it somehow? Arkon has pretty good customer service, maybe you should give them a call.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
As far as the Megagrip goes, I think the real problem is probably my mega foot. The very design of the thing is such that under hard acceleration in a specific direction, the phone will fall out as mine did on my first takeoff. Rubber foam just won't grasp something that tight. There is no positive clamp on the device.

I really have no objection to trying out the Motorola dock, but I do have objection to affixing it to the windshield and in the picture it "looked" like that was the only choice. Stated simply, I have yet to have really good luck with devices on the windshield, and they are a nice red flag that the vehicle has devices worth possibly breaking a side window for.

What I've always been able to do is separate the device holder from the vehicle attachment piece and use my own beanbag/dash mount/console mount, etc. I do have some experience with mounts. At present, I'm running a GPS, the Droid, a Sirius radio and trying to decide whether to set up an iPad mount. If I could see the back of the Motorola mount, it might be exactly what I need.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
Sorry, one more comment ... no offense intended with my prior comments, I'm just looking for the right answer to the mount issue. I have to admit to being a little frustrated not to be able to use the D1 car mounts because of a little bit smoother frame.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
Found it

The Motorola Droid 2 car mount in fact uses a ball on the rear for the mount, so I was able to use the Motorola mount with my Arkon vent mount, giving the best combo of a secure mount and cool D2. It would also work with one of those bean bag mounts as well.

wkearney99

Reaction score
The moto mount uses a ball as part of it, that's true. The ball mounts to the back of the cradle by a pair of T-slots. The back of the cradle is flat and has two T-shaped slots in it. One problem with the moto mount is the way the suction cup tension bracket is oriented. They supply a base for the flat part of your dash, presumably so you could stick the suction cup to it (assuming you're not using the glass). I considered doing this for mine. Put the base on the top of the dash and then extend the arm downward. This won't work because the suction cup arm is L-shaped and that would get in the way of the tension clamp for it. You could do it but you'd have to loosen the rest of the arm each time. Too much hassle if you want to stow the arm on a regular basis.

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to put that onto something like a ProClip flat mount? I mean, yeah, I could crack it open and drill holes, but something easier would be nice. Are those two T-shaped slits a moto standard thig? It would be nice to have a way to remove the cradle but leave the bracket (if only to avoid attention from thieves). As in, an empty cradle might imply there's something of value in the glove box or console. Versus a blank mount.

I only got the moto suction mount as a means to get the cradle. I'm willing to chuck the suction cup and arm portion just to get the cradle. I have no desire to use a mount or cradle that requires plugging in the cord.

Back to your post, are you saying the ball in the moto mount is the same size as the one in the arkon? For me it might be worthwhile to look at getting a ball to mount onto the ProClip and then use the socket in the back of the moto cradle.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
I only got the moto suction mount as a means to get the cradle. I'm willing to chuck the suction cup and arm portion just to get the cradle. I have no desire to use a mount or cradle that requires plugging in the cord.

Back to your post, are you saying the ball in the moto mount is the same size as the one in the arkon? For me it might be worthwhile to look at getting a ball to mount onto the ProClip and then use the socket in the back of the moto cradle.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The two slot portion marries to a twin plug thingy that has a ball receiver on it. The ball gives a lot of mounting options, in fact, I think pro-clip has a ball mount available as well.

wkearney99

Reaction score
I've exchanged e-mail with some folks at pro-fit and they said their dual-T adapter and the ball would be compatible with the moto cradle.

I'm interested in using the proclip bracket (fits across an AC vent). I'm debating whether to go with the cradle mounted flat on the bracket or onto a ball. The ball would make the phone stand out farther from the dash and that might be an issue with gloved hands hitting it in the winter. I may just get both and compare them.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Motorola Droid 2 car mount in fact uses a ball on the rear for the mount, so I was able to use the Motorola mount with my Arkon vent mount, giving the best combo of a secure mount and cool D2. It would also work with one of those bean bag mounts as well.

I'm using this combo as well, and it is just perfect...best car mount combo I've every had.

Arkon is very secure on the vent, new D2 cradle is an excellent design, together they are just perfect for me.

A+ rating...

Arkon is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GN047-R..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1283965399&sr=1-1

danwanna

Reaction score
Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I am using the Garmin Friction Mount + the Droid 2 Car Mount from Verizon.

Garmin Friction Mount

I drive my car pretty hard and I haven't had any issues with tipping or sliding.

Attachments

• Droid2Mount.jpg
    Droid2Mount.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 758

patchm00

Reaction score

I'm using this combo as well, and it is just perfect...best car mount combo I've every had.

Arkon is very secure on the vent, new D2 cradle is an excellent design, together they are just perfect for me.

A+ rating...

Arkon is here:

Amazon.com: Arkon GN047 Removable Vent Mount for Nuvi & StreetPilot: Automotive

I got the Moto/Droid 2 Car mount the other day and I don't see any ball at all. All I see is 2 slots to hook the mount in. The Arkon that looks more like the mount I bought seems to be here (the air vent mount pic). That's not the one you meant is it Red? Is there one that comes from the A/C unit with a semi-tough coil? I've seen one for the iPod that would be great if they made one for the moto droid 2 :)

wkearney99

Reaction score
I'm interested in using the proclip bracket (fits across an AC vent).

I got the pro-clip mount and put a double-T mount on it. To that I attached the moto cradle. The angle is pretty much perfect for viewing at the wheel. The back of the cradle has a protruding USB socket. Using that with a straight USB plug causes the cable to come a bit too close to the radio behind it. So I got a right-angle micro-to-mini USB adapter (via ebay) and connected an old mini-usb charger left over from my XV6800. The whole setup works great. No need for the ball mount at all.

I tried a vent mount and was NOT pleased with it. The clips don't grab the vanes of the vent securely enough to make decent use of the phone. Touchscreens are tricky to operate and the way the mount shifted made it problematic to use the screen. Missed or doubled taps were a big problem. If you're going to pick up the phone to use it then, maybe. But if you expect to use the phone while it's in the mount I would not recommend one attached to a vent.

The downside is now my 2yo son wants to see picture slideshows on it. "See family at the beach?" calls from the back seat...