1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Looking for Aviation GPS App

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mikeyandem, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mikeyandem

mikeyandem New Member

I fly quite a bit, and wanted to utilize my droid for navigation. Seems pretty simple.. You could overlay the GPS over sectional charts froma site like SKYVECTOR.COM. You can even get more complex to include weather, TFRs and other features... anyone thought of/done this?
  2. missin44

missin44 New Member

If your a passanger forget it, by regulation no transmitters or receivers on during flight.
  3. mikeyandem

mikeyandem New Member

No I'm a pilot... want to use my phone to navigate.
  4. Guchi

Guchi New Member

5. m3kilpat

m3kilpat Member

Having a cell phone on doesn't actually do anything. I had my Droid on during a flight about 1.5 weeks ago. We didn't crash. There's also an episode of mythbusters on this topic...they couldn't get anything remotely close to interfering.
  6. johnnyvol

johnnyvol New Member

It's been a long time since I used it, but doesn't DUATS or DTC-DUAT allow GPS overlay? Seems like it did back when I got my first BlackBerry, but of course it didn't have GPS. But I seem to remember wishing it did.

I have always been a pilot for fun, not commerce, and have recently gone back to low and slow. No need for the GPS anymore.

Fly Safe!
  7. mikeyandem

mikeyandem New Member

I spent some time looking at DUATs, and can't find anything....
  8. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

Lol, I'm an MEI and there's an App called Rmaps that allows you to make your own maps and load them on your phone with a program called Atlas Buddy, I currently have about 5gb worth of topo maps on my phone for this app but for use in mountaineering not aviation. You could make your own maps using sectionals to overlay on the topo I believe but it would be time-consuming. There is no Aviation GPS dedicated app though.

On another note I'm surprised no-ones made an Attitude indicator app, it wouldn't be that hard and it would be nice to have a second back-up in my pocket or put it in my Saturn and get my "Instrument Driving Certificate" :D
  9. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

Lol at this, the GPS actually still works when in airplane mode. I wonder if they didn;t read the reg properly or just messed it up because like you stated, the reg clearly states that you can't transmit *or* receive. I use My Tracks as a de-briefing tool with my flight students.
  10. rotordroid

rotordroid New Member

Close but not quite

Here's one made for Tablet PC's.

ePilotage Overview

I plan to check with these guys and see if a PDA version is possible. I think the main issue is the size of the maps. I also fly and am starting to work on a multi-configuration weight and balance application.
  11. shankomatic

shankomatic New Member

Not to rehash an old story, but if you look on Delta Airlines website under allowed electronic devices (at crusing alt) it lists GPS devices as allowed.
  12. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

13. yawn

yawn New Member

Note that even if applications like this existed, they wouldn't exactly be legal to use as a primary navigation source for the airplane. The applications wouldn't be certified for flight usage (theoretically it's possible to certify them), but, the Droid hardware definitely is not.

In short, any information provided would have to be an information only kind of thing, and you would need to verify everything with the existing avionics and/or instruments that are in the plane anyway.
  14. dwz07

dwz07 New Member

i was just about to say something about that myself lol. i'm sure he would be using this just for fun anyhow. the attitude indicator would also be a cool app.

@rotordroid: i think the weight and balance app is a great idea as well. i'm studying to be an A&P mechanic right now and we do plenty of weight and balance calculations
  15. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Even the current lineup of aviation portables are all for assistance in nav, only your IFR certified in panel systems are good to go in that reguard.

Someone might make an app, of course until then you could use GM with topo, but ... I have a 430 in the console, and a 496 on the cyclic mount, haven't yet really needed it on my droid hehehe.
  16. MotoRolla

MotoRolla New Member

The new Garmin AV8OR tablet-sized and handheld-sized versions are IFR certified up to non-precision approaches. They also only cost about $1000/$2000 respectively and can do things like play music and videos, or convert to an auto GPS database when you're on the ground. You can hook it up to (XM I believe) satellite weather antennas to get realtime weather overlay.

It's a must-have for any VFR pilot, in my opinion.

The Droid, on the other hand, is nowhere near accurate or stable enough to use as an avionics system. You *might* be able to get away with using the compass as an HSI.
  17. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Av8or is Bendix, newest Garmin portable is the 696 tablet, while it can satisfy the electronic chart requirements, neither are approach certified.

Can you post a link to the ones you are speaking about?
  18. sjacksonauto

sjacksonauto New Member

I will be starting flight classes in fall... I am so stoked:icon_ banana:
  19. raduray

raduray New Member

XM Weather overlay in IMC rocks!
  20. qrouting

qrouting New Member

Good day,

This software can be use for navigation and flight planning. It's developed for Android and has many functions.

QRouting

Regards,

QRouting Team.
Search tags for this page

airplane gps app

android apps for skyvector.com

aviation gps app

aviation gps app android
aviation gps app for android

aviation gps apps

aviation gps for android

best aviation gps app for android