Looking for anyone with XML knowledge.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thebowers, Apr 2, 2010.

1. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Looking to be able to extract the android xmls into raw xml. Then being able to do some editing and recompiling back to work again. The main reason I want to do this is on app widgets. I want to be able to change the text color in order to support other backgrounds. For instance, most are white text with black background. I want to do a white background and thus would not show up.

2. Champers

Champers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are quite a few posts on that here, search for a hex editor.

3. xfireguru

xfireguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tip on hex editor, but I already use that quite a bit. It also does no go if you don't know what those codes are for. That's way I am looking to extract to raw format and add text color codes. Then be able to recompile it.

Thanks for the links. I have the AXMLPrnter2.jar. So, I can get the raw output. I just don't know exactly how to put a text color string in it. Also I like the second one, since it is from Stericson. He has lots of info on xml files. Without some of his write ups and videos I would have never got the color text thing figured out.

5. xfireguru

xfireguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately that was the extent of my ability to help. I can google like a maniac, but I'm just starting to get into android development.

6. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of suggestions and findings

I looked for a way how to do this a long time ago. I heard Stericson say a long time ago (a year ago), that the only way to do this was to actually modify the source code and compile against the kernel. He gave up developing a workaround because this was the time the official source code was released and he just went with that. I'm sure if you could ever get Stericson himself to answer this question he would confirm or deny this.

As an opposite point -- Xedoxsus (spelling incorrect so sorry), developed a hex compiler but I don't think ever released it. I'm really not too sure what it compiled or how extensively it could be used. It seems this very smart and creative individual has all but disappeared (maybe moved onto other things), however I know he is helping out developing the dark minimalism theme. If you could ever find him, again you could maybe ask him the same question and see what he has to say.

Good luck.