Looking for advice

Calla969

Reaction score
I am trying to decide how to fix my phone. I have had data drops since I got the phone. I applied the 5.7.893 update when it was found and it really seemed to help. I have been running fine for quite a while, only momentary losses on occasion. Well I am going on 5 days now with no data. I have been communicating with VZWSupport on Twitter and I also tried to get help through a chat on Moto's support. Moto support was absolutely useless and borderline rude. They were not willing to help. Very disappointing. I am in a 3G only area. I have the network type set to CDMA only and I have tried changing it to CDMA-LTE as well. I have tried rebooting, battery pulls, powering down-removing sim card-booting-powering off-replacing sim card-rebooting leaving the phone with the battery out for about 5 minutes each time to clear any residual power, cycling airplane mode, changing all data settings in Battery & data manager, and even factory resets. I have tried all of this MANY times with no results at all. The 3G icon is lit, but not highlighted and I get no data at all. VZWSupport feels that I need to return the phone and I tend to agree. I am looking for advice on the best way to handle this. As I said, I have installed the 5.7.893 leak and I am rooted. I have never had to return a phone before, so I don't know if I should take it into a shop or if they can handle it over the phone. What should I do before returning it? Should I accept a refurbished phone, or demand a new replacement. What has your experience been. Thanks.

[Edit] I finally got data back. VZW is supposed to be calling any time now to arrange a replacement. Not sure what to do now. I think I'll keep it and see how it goes. I had Maps and IM on the auto-end list on the stock task manager. I unchecked those 2 items and data came right back immediately. I have had these items on the auto-end list for several weeks with no trouble. Not sure what changed. I did a reboot just to see if it stuck and data came right back up. My advice (and I've already seen it mentioned elseware, DON"T USE ANY TASK KILLERS. EVEN THE STOCK ONE! Since task killers are so troublesome and unnecessary, why does Motorola include one as bloatware?

Last edited:

Cinoib

Reaction score
I don't think verizon will let you return the phone if it's rooted. So before you return it you have to get it back to factory original.

I use the task manager to kill apps 2 minutes after the screen goes dark. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems. I am rooted and hacked hence i fear the day that I have to return this to verizon warranty service.

Like most everyone I drop my 4 g data on a regular basis. Usually I power back on and off the phone and I get the 4 g service back.

I haven't taken the update either. I kind of wonder if the update is the problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums