Looking for advice - Did anyone here switch from Droid X to Fascinate?

sjohn902

Reaction score
So here's my situation - I have a Droid X and my satisfaction with it just keeps declining. The battery life, compared to my Droid 1, is just pathetic (and I'm not using task killers). I'm on my second phone and it has the same issues. The Froyo update that just came out seems very buggy (I've had a lot of lock ups, music now skips). I would try a factory reset, but I got my replacement X the day Froyo released so it was at factory defaults when I installed Froyo. I'm just not really that thrilled with the device.

I'm considering switching to a Fascinate. I'm basically sold on the phone, I just have a few things I'd like to get some input on.

1 - How is the battery life? Does it make it through the day? Is there anyone here that switched from an X to a Fascinate and can compare?

2 - Is the GPS really THAT bad? I don't think I've read any good things about it.

3 - Does the Touchwiz skin drain battery life? I read someone else commenting that running Launcherpro would kill the battery because TW would be in the background; is this accurate or is Touchwiz disabled when you use a home replacement?

4 - One of the most appealing things about this phone is that it is apparently open. I was never one to install custom ROMs when I had my Droid 1, but the idea that in a month or so I may be able to install vanilla Froyo without all the extra crap appeals to me. Does anyone have any idea what kind of progress has been made on getting some ROMs out for this thing, and whether there will be a vanilla Froyo ROM made available?

Any input on the phone would be appreciated, especially from any former X users.

jrl9851

Reaction score
So here's my situation - I have a Droid X and my satisfaction with it just keeps declining. The battery life, compared to my Droid 1, is just pathetic (and I'm not using task killers). I'm on my second phone and it has the same issues. The Froyo update that just came out seems very buggy (I've had a lot of lock ups, music now skips). I would try a factory reset, but I got my replacement X the day Froyo released so it was at factory defaults when I installed Froyo. I'm just not really that thrilled with the device.

I'm considering switching to a Fascinate. I'm basically sold on the phone, I just have a few things I'd like to get some input on.

1 - How is the battery life? Does it make it through the day? Is there anyone here that switched from an X to a Fascinate and can compare?

Battery life has been absolutely great for me. My Droid would be dead by 1pm with heavy usage, but the galaxy makes it all the way till I get off work and hasn't even died yet. I use the phone non stop.

2 - Is the GPS really THAT bad? I don't think I've read any good things about it.

GPS definitely does not lock on as fast as most people would like, but when you use turn by turn navigation (google maps), it works perfect for some reason. Also, if you download "GPS status" from the market, it basically fixes the GPS problem. Samsung will also be releasing an update to fix it, as they have already done with the Captivate.

3 - Does the Touchwiz skin drain battery life? I read someone else commenting that running Launcherpro would kill the battery because TW would be in the background; is this accurate or is Touchwiz disabled when you use a home replacement?

I've used both (currently using launcherpro) and like I said, my battery has been AMAZING. I also have "battery saver mode" on too, so I'm not sure how it would do without that on.

4 - One of the most appealing things about this phone is that it is apparently open. I was never one to install custom ROMs when I had my Droid 1, but the idea that in a month or so I may be able to install vanilla Froyo without all the extra crap appeals to me. Does anyone have any idea what kind of progress has been made on getting some ROMs out for this thing, and whether there will be a vanilla Froyo ROM made available?

Amazing progress has already been done. Clockwork is now on the phone. It has only been out for 2 weeks and already rooted with clockwork mod/nandroid, etc.

Any input on the phone would be appreciated, especially from any former X users.

Answers in bold.

soba1

Reaction score
One thing I can say in the X's favor is that it seems to have a better radio.
But the BT volume on the Fascinate is a lot better imo.

ejcrossl

Reaction score
I used the Fascinate for a weekend before I got my Droid X. I noticed a tingy ring in the ear piece of the fascinate. It was pretty annoying, but my wife now uses the phone and hasn't complained. Screen colors are much more vibrant on the Fascinate.
There seems to be a lot more published on the X, but seems like a lot of people are having issues. I am toying w/ the same decision since my wifi doesn't seem to work and my gmail won't sync. I really like a lot that the X has to offer, just sure I can deal w/ the issues.
Just my 2 cents,
Novice Droid user

bblanski

Reaction score
I came from the X. Had the incredible before that. Fascinate hands down is best in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sjohn902

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

One more thing I wanted to ask - it is possible to get all of the Google stuff back, right? I saw a way to get Google search back to being the default search, and I also saw a way to get Google Navigation back to being default instead of VZ Nav. Is Google's voice to text, Maps, Voice, all that stuff available for it?

StingRay

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread, but sjohn has asked a lot of questions I have had...

was also wondering if any Fascinate users have used the corporate email app and if so, any issues syncing email and calendar through your enterprise server...I've seen mention elsewhere of syncing issues on the Fascinate...

I am currently using a Droid and am satisfied with corporate syncing of email, calendar, and contacts....I'm looking at an upgrade later in the year either to the Droid X or Fascinate, but since I use my phone primarily for business I have to be able to sync properly with my company's server....

thanks...

irishpride

Reaction score
I had the DroidX for a couple of months and just recently swiched over to the Fascinate. The are a couple of things that I really like about it, the size and form factor is perfect. The battery on the Fascinate is right on par with the DX, which in my opinion has one of the best batteries out there.

One of the major drawbacks of the Fascinate is the lag issue(the lag fix is pointless and doesn't work). Im really looking forward to a real one being released. What really got me interested in the phone was the openess, in a very short time we should have custom ROMs and kernels which would make this phone truly great.

Sent From My Galaxy S

zeroryde

Reaction score
debating on switching from the droid x to the fascinate... question is, do any of you regret switching? Do you miss the size of the screen, or having google without having to root? I feel like I want to switch and I'm still within my 30 day period of exchanging, but I feel like there's something missing that isn't pushing me hard enough to switch yet and I keep checking reviews on these boards to convince me to jump...

DUNC4N

Reaction score
I got to say, I got the fascinate, because the X wasn't in stock. "Try it for 30 days, and by then the X will be in stock" is what they said. With that in mind, I've really tried to not like this phone, so I could switch to the X, or at least try it.

After 2 weeks, there isn't really anything I can say negatively about this phone.

Sure GPS takes 45 seconds instead of 5, but most of the time I know where I'm going anyway.

Bing, what bing?

At the end of the day I wanted the best hardware, and as far as I understand, the Galaxy S series is tough to beat.

my2cents...

Last edited:

ohfire

Reaction score
This phone has given me the best battery life since my blackberry. It lasts all day and I use the phone, email and texting a lot. I have not had it on exchange, we had some exchange issues at work so I just dumped exchange and now I sync with companion link to my outlook at work and it works great. I would certainly not hesitate to tell anyone to grab this phone, it is a keeper.

Reaction score
I'll be honest with you, I got the X first three days later i swapped it for the fascinate, the X has physical buttons that were making me crazy, hard to push and why phisycal buttons in the first place? now the processor on the Fascinate is way beyond superior to the one on the X, as soon as i got the X i updated it to froyo and even with it my fascinate is way faster specially talking about graphic display...now the GPU is way better on the Fascinate as well, the X is a great phone but I would say the fascinate is just a higher level....both phones have media share through network so i share my videos and pics through my PS3 to my tv with no wires, so the HDMI output on the X is not missed here...the camera in both phones are basically the same, the X has an 8 mp and the Fascinate 5, but you cant tell a difference unless you print the pictures all big...Ive had every phone in the market, Iphones, blackberries, droid 1 rooted, and all i can say is that the FASCINATE is the best phone ive ever own and I cant imagine how amazing it will be when we get the famous FROYO...

Oh yeah and Did i mention that the video player is compared to the universal VLC player? which means that it almost plays any video file on earth?...my wife took a .3gp format video on her phone sent it to my X and couldnt play it, after I got the FASCINATE i reopened the message and it was able to play it perfectly...It plays everything! divx, avi, mp4, xvid, 3gp etc etc etc...

Reaction score
I forgot that the battery on the X recharged in around one hour and a half but lasted me approximately 6 to 7 hours, browsing and doing all kinds of stuff...Now with the FASCINATE, the battery lasts, seriously..around 12 hours but it takes 3 to 4 hours recharging...

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I was a droid 1 user and loved it. Went for the Fascinate to take advantage of the BOGO and was wary... After reading reviews I was ready to get an X. But, playing with both in store I was convinced otherwise. Went with the Fascinate.

I keep hearing about a lag, but I'm not sure what should be lagging or if I even have it. The first couple of days the battery was less impressive than after it discharged and was fully charged a couple of times. Now I'm at 3/4 after light - moderate usage and being on for 16 hours.

All the google goodness will be back with the Froyo 2.2 update. But, bing doesn't get in my way. I downloaded Google Maps, and set my homepage to google. I never use the search widget anyway nor the search key. I do not intend to root and just need 2.2 to be fully bing free.

There was a period where I kept hitting the wrong buttons on the bottom since the lights turn off quickly and the order was switched from my D1. But, I got used to it in a day or so.

I do use Launcher pro, but I liked TW also.

I'm still discovering new things everyday despite being a seasoned vanilla android user. Best phone I've ever owned. Seems each new one is the best though right?

Reaction score
I use launcherpro plus and couldnt be happier...And i see abstolutely no lag at all....forgot to mention gps on google maps and navigation works like a charm!