Looking for a workout arm band..

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Or something to keep the phone with me on my morning runs. The app I use tracks my movement and I need an accessory that is not too bulky but I'm able to run without it being cumbersome...any suggestions??

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the UP Band by Jawbone. I love it. It is small, you recharge it about once every ten days.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have the UP Band by Jawbone. I love it. It is small, you recharge it about once every ten days.
Always wondered about this, does your phone have to be in the proximity for the band to work properly? Or does the UP record data and then send it over to the phone once it's within range?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always wondered about this, does your phone have to be in the proximity for the band to work properly? Or does the UP record data and then send it over to the phone once it's within range?

You plug it into the headphone jack whenever you want to sync. No wireless = great battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You plug it into the headphone jack whenever you want to sync. No wireless = great battery life.

Hmmm I may have to get one of those then. I don't regularly exercise as much anymore but since I plan to it might be a good pickup...

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

The headphone jack, huh? So it operates much like the credit card readers that plug into the headphone jack as well. I have two of those...the Square and the PayPal card readers. They communicate with the phone's app by producing "sound" representing the numerical information on the magnetic strip of the credit card. Hey Dalvik_Cache, am I correct in assuming the band only provides information to the phone, but receives no information from the phone?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The headphone jack, huh? So it operates much like the credit card readers that plug into the headphone jack as well. I have two of those...the Square and the PayPal card readers. They communicate with the phone's app by producing "sound" representing the numerical information on the magnetic strip of the credit card. Hey Dalvik_Cache, am I correct in assuming the band only provides information to the phone, but receives no information from the phone?
Judging by what I was reading, correct. The UP doesn't have any wireless radios in it to report to the phone and therefore can't receive info from the phone. Plug it in via the headphone jack and it uploads the info to your phone within seconds.

I'm taking a look at the Fitbit Flex. They say it's as accurate as the UP and uses bluetooth to connect. They also mention is comfier than the UP as well. After all my research I can't believe how expensive these things are:D

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Communication is actually bidirectional a time of sync. The phone can send customized user information to the band.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Judging by what I was reading, correct. The UP doesn't have any wireless radios in it to report to the phone and therefore can't receive info from the phone. Plug it in via the headphone jack and it uploads the info to your phone within seconds.

I'm taking a look at the Fitbit Flex. They say it's as accurate as the UP and uses bluetooth to connect. They also mention is comfier than the UP as well. After all my research I can't believe how expensive these things are:D

I have used both, and the up band is way better. The benefit of not using bluetooth is that I don't have to charge it but every 10 days.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have used both, and the up band is way better. The benefit of not using bluetooth is that I don't have to charge it but every 10 days.

Well if you still got the FitBit Flex you're not using lmk!

I'm really considering getting one and hope it leads me to a healthier lifestyle, I been lazy for almost 2yrs now and it's starting to show:frown:

OP
ms4teacher

ms4teacher

Reaction score
Does it track distance, time, etc. ? I'm training for a 5K.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This won't be great for the runners but I use Endomondo Sports tracker on my phone and keep it in my Camelbak backpack when riding on the trails. It keeps track of everything and has an audio coach to tell me to move my butt faster if I am slacking off.

I keep my phone in a ziplock bag with just the headphone cord running outside of it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Now that I think about it, whatever happened to the S band?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welp I caved in and bought myself a FitBit Flex this morning. Been wearing it ever since and I'm impressed with it and so far it's made me conscious about what I'm eating, so it's already working. It's comfy and so lightweight that I almost forgot I was wearing it at one point and hit my head with it.

I think it's a great little product that works well with the s4 and will fit your needs. Good luck finding one though. The official site is 8wk backorder and I couldn't find other places online to buy at the same price. Stores around me were all sold out so I drove about 30mi away to get the last one at Target, one of the employees held it for me so I was lucky. These things are more popular than I thought they were.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Reading one of the really thorough reviews on Amazon for that Fitbit I am torn between that and the Jawbone UP. From what the guy said the Fitbit feels more comfortable, especially when typing on a keyboard.

The UP was better at tracking sleep, registered far less wake ups than the Fitbit did.

However, downside of the Fitbit were that water gets inside the band and starts to smell bad after awhile. There are those with the UP that are complaining the batteries died on them really early though, which is a downside.

Let us know how you like that thing after a week or so, another great Dez write up may be in order.