Looking for a way to install the "original" Google News widget on Droid III

Rocky

Reaction score
Hello.

I remember having both on my Droid 1 and 2 a Google News widget which took 4 app-spaces, showed custom-chosen and refreshed headlines (some with a picture), as well as automatically and continually displaying a slideshow of the news headlines of one's choice. I really liked it.

On the Droid 3 this widget isn't the same anymore; I suppose it's part of the 2.3 version. It's got nothing to do with the original one.

I'd like to know if I anyone here knows of a way to have the previous version of the widget on the Droid 3 (or, rather, on Android 2.3), and, if so, can you please share how to get it done?

As a last note, I have found and installed News Buzz. It's pretty similar, but not nearly as customizable as the Google version, as far as I'm concerned.

Any help is very appreciated and thanked for in advance.

Rocky

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
It'll work fine if you root and just push the geniewidget.apk to system/app.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
If you can find an apk of it, it might work
Thanks. It seems like there is one, according to patmw123.

Sent from my DROIDX
Thank you. If rooting is necessary, I shall root. (Hopefully there's a reversible root for 2.3.)

Now, excuse me for being so ignorant, but can you please tell me how to push that apk (I assume it's the one I'd like to install) to system/app, or maybe tell me where to look for learning that? I'd really appreciate it.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX
I also would like to ask you whether this is the apk for the particular widget I mentioned. If it isn't, I hope you can tell me how to find it.

Thanks again.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX
Assuming this is the widget I'm longing to install, can anyone tell me how to follow this instruction?

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I'd like to publicly thank jstafford1 for patiently having helped me, step by step, to get this job done, and done right. I know it isn't the hack of the century (maybe not even a hack), but it would've been much harder without live help.

After having Googled a search related to this I was lucky enough to find a post of his somewhere in this forum regarding this very same widget.

Thanks again, amigo!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You're welcome man, its my pleasure to help.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk