Looking for a phone for a senior with dexterity issues

rosso

Reaction score
My Dad is now living in a Long Term Care facility. He needs to have a phone, if for no other reason than to have it. He has serious dexterity issues so it is very important that the phone have large buttons and be easy to answer. My thought is a basic no frills cell, either to add to my verizon plan or a Trac phone or similar. I've done a bit of research and most reviews suggest the Alcatel 382G would be ideal, it costs between 18 and 30 dollars and comes with double minutes for life. I don't expect he will make many calls so adding to my verizon plan doesn't seem to me to be cost effective.
Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Criteria are:
Large buttons
Speed dial
Easy to answer
Loud ringer volume
Good speaker volume

Thanks

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't have first hand knowledge of the Alcatel 382G, or any similar phones. It looks like that one has some decent customer reviews, and may fit the bill for what you need. Hope whatever you buy works good for you guys & hope things work out well for your father.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Most wireless services have no frills big number phones, flip phone types.

Sent from my New Note 7

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hey there! IT guy at a nursing home here.

Does it HAVE to be a phone that he'll carry around with him? Because phones like this Sears.com are very popular in our facility for older folks. There's also a similar model for around $100 if they have a very hard time hearing, but you didn't mention that, so I assume this sub-$35 phone would do the trick.

The reason why I ask is because this kind of phone is obviously something he'll be more used to. Idk if he carried a cell phone before his health deteriorated, but this is more akin to the home phone he likely had for most of his life (once people started getting home phones, depending on his age).

If the facility or phone company don't provide phone service to residents, a phone like this can easily be used with something like StraightTalk's home phone setup, as long as cell signal is decent in his room.

You can get a refurbished unit for free or pay $45 for a brand new one. If he doesn't need International calling, it's $15/mo unlimited talk. No Contract Home Phones: StraightTalk Wireless

Again, if you really think he wants/needs a cell phone, by all means, disregard this post, but want to make sure you've considered this kind of option.