What size screen are you looking for?

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Around 15 inch is good for me usually but taking a look at you're machine i'm a little in love ha that thing looks pretty amazing sure i lose .4ghz but i'm gaining some more ram (not that i really need 16gbs but who knows ha) but i'm really liking this :biggrin:

Are there media keys on it? that's something i also like, like play pause etc i have touch ones on my current laptop and would like them just can't tell what the buttons along the top are that are lit up

What up with the windows key on the opposite side and the duplicate button two over from the left of it?

Last edited:
OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Got me looking at msi's some more which i did look at a lot and i found this bad boy

Configurator

Changes
Bumping the processor up to the 2.2ghz since that's only 50 i know probably won't see much of a difference but why not? +50
IC Diamond Thermal Compound applied to CPU + GPU +35
16GB (4x 4GB) DDR3/1600 CL9 Dual Channel Memory +78

For a grand total of $1317.26

And i get some ridiculous graphics card i don't need/will ever use (nVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 192bit w/1.5GB GDDR5) free game i'll never play :happy3: and i get the 15.6 matte screen and i think that has the backlit keyboard as well so i'm pretty much set i think :icon_ lala:

But still open to suggestions i guess

Edit no backlit keyboard :( but still very nice although i do like how you have all those keyboard color options on yours

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
To be honest, I don't even use the backlight on the keys. I turn them off upon bootup.

The 16GB of RAM is a little overkill, unless you're doing some heavy HD video editing, that much is not needed.

This laptop is great, very powerful and fast but the build quality could've been better IMO.

I've always like MSI products but if I had to do it again, I might've went with with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%26%2334%3B+Display+/+8GB+Memory+-+Black/3411058.p?id=1218399201395&skuId=3411058

I
f you want a 15.6 inch screen, shop around for an ASUS G53Sw-A1

Here's one of the best prices I could find: ASUS G53Sw-A1 15.6" Notebook Computer (Black) G53SW-A1 B&H - $998 after $50 rebate

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't even use the backlight on the keys. I turn them off upon bootup.

The 16GB of RAM is a little overkill, unless you're doing some heavy HD video editing, that much is not needed.

This laptop is great, very powerful and fast but the build quality could've been better IMO.

I've always like MSI products but if I had to do it again, I might've went with with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%26%2334%3B+Display+/+8GB+Memory+-+Black/3411058.p?id=1218399201395&skuId=3411058

I
f you want a 15.6 inch screen, shop around for an ASUS G53Sw-A1

Here's one of the best prices I could find: ASUS G53Sw-A1 15.6" Notebook Computer (Black) G53SW-A1 B&H - $998 after $50 rebate

O no I completely agree that the 16gbs ram is completely ridiculous so I may just stick with the 8 since I don't think I'd ever use that much just trying to make this thing stupid in a way ha and the backlut keyboard is something I personally wouldn't use a lot. For instance I have a room mate here in my dorm who often goes to sleep before me so I'm sitting there in the dark on my laptop I'm a touch type so not a huge issue but some light would be nice too

Thanks for the links checking them all out now

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

SANhacker

Reaction score
+1 on the ASUS. Best MB's I have ever owned.
Not a big fan of laptops. Running water cooled so lugging would be an issue.
Thermochill Rads, EK Blocks and Swiftech Pumps in series.

If you truly want to overclock, H20 is the way to go.

Air sucks. (pun intended)

breedingh8

Reaction score
Alright so Christmas is coming and I'm looking to buy myself a new programming laptop as my Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 is about 3 years old now. Things still a beast but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Price range is under $1000-1500

Few things I want for sure
i7 Processor quad core would like to be be around 2.2ghz or higher
6gbs or RAM or more looking for 8gbs mainly but i guess i can always download more here :icon_ lala: ha jk :)
Graphics card doesn't matter to me i don't want anything fancy as i don't play games at all and that's just gonna drive the price up so crap here is fine

Things i also like (not deal breakers though)
I like all that ricer crap unfortunately ha i like lights and what not :) like i like the style of alienware but refuse to get one of those
Loud good quality speakers would be nice too
Ubuntu installed on it as Windows will also drive the price up a bit

What i'm working with so far
So far I like these two and the system76 is winning at the moment (both lack the ricer crap i like ha)
Ubuntu Laptops - Pangolin Performance
Newegg.com - MSI X460-004US Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 14" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 3000

Anyone else got any laptops they really like they just got, or would suggest getting. Just looking for input on what you guys really like been shopping like crazy lately ha.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73SW/

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
We are forgetting a very talked about company in this form! ;) Samsung.
We finally got a Microsoft store open up at our mall and we went in and IT. WAS. LIKE. A WONDERLAND! ok back on topic... So yeah, my mom ended up getting a Samsung because long story story short the screen on her Toshiba satellite got broken and they gave her a replacement of almost any laptop in the store. I was very surprised! It's amazing! It has a great screen 750 gig hdd. 8 gigs of ram. i7. And the neat thing about it is it has an 8gb ssd for the OS! Oh and 2 USB 3.0. It's a beast! And amazing battery and everything, and of course it's aluminum. Sammy just got into the laptop industry, but it looks like they've started off well! :)

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!